Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2019 5:24:58 PM EDT
My hatsan air rifle gave up the ghost back in October. I replaced it with an RWS 34P without the scope. Been shooting it since then with just the sights, but now I'd like a little more precision. So what's a good scope and mount? I could go up to about $150.....

Edit....I saw where someone mentioned a "ghetto tune". What is that ?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Nikon rimfire AO scope. I have 2 of them for my RWS 34 and my RWS 48 and the glass is very clear.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Prostaff-Target-Precision-Reticle/dp/B007PXVR5C
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they holding up?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a UTG drooper mount, low Simmons rings and a Hawk Vantage 4X12. It's all pretty good quality, but the problem with the drooper mounts is they are too high. By the time you get rings and scope on the whole thing is too high for a good cheek weld. You might check BKL technologies, they probably have a better solution but it will be more expensive.

Ghetto tune
Is using a 2 litre soda bottle as a "delrin sleeve" which it isnt.
Cut off the top and bottom off a 2 litre soda bottle (I used green) to get to the middle flat work stock in between.
If you know how these airguns work you might be starting to see where this is going.
The sleeve goes in the piston to cusion the spring from rattling around while cocking or firing. I used a semi heavy coat of dielectric grease on the spring to act as a dampener for it. The soda bottle needs to be cut pretty exact in size, which isn't hard to figure out. If you mess it up you have more material or know where to get it. You want  it the right length which is easy. The width is trial and error, cut a little at a time so when it fits inside tge piston the ends just meet. It will be a tube like a paper towel roll but with a cut lengthwise to make a perfect circle and fit in the piston.
If you try this, Be Careful. Wear eye protection. When you take the gun apart it's still under spring tension, but nothing like when it's cocked.
There are a whole bunch of videos online about taking these apart.
I did it with no help and pushing the gun against my work bench. The problem with that is you really need three or four hands. If I was to do this on a regular basis I'd build some kind of spring compressor.
All this to not spend the money on a Vortek tune kit. I just wanted to see if and how it would work. It works really good actually. The gun is much nicer to cock and shoot, super smooth.
If you go the Vortek route, you still have take the gun apart just the same, or send it off.
I helped a buddy install the Vortek kit a few months ago, its nice and he picked up some FPS.
ETA: nope I was wrong, the sleeve has to have a gap for the action.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at This with low rings, but I was worried about the height.

Thanks for the info on the tune.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was looking at This with low rings, but I was worried about the height.

Thanks for the info on the tune.
View Quote
That's what I have. While it's good, even with the lowest rings the scope will be too high. Now if you had a scope with a huge bell you might need the clearance, but these guns shoot 100 yards at the most, so a huge bell scope really don't belong on there anyway. And adjustable comb on the stock could help with that but theres more money.
Check out BKL stuff, or call Pyramid Air or Airguns of AZ and talk with them about it.
Here's mine, and its too high
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
See this, you don't want this
Diana 350 N-TEC Magnum Premium Air Rifle
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#7]
That reviewer stands and shoulders the gun after he talks about the hardware.
Something strange is going on because he either has a long neck or no cheek weld, but he makes it look like that huge mount lets him get an offhand position. I imagine a prone position would be a challenge. It looks way too high for me.

Mounts and scope rings are an eternal challenge in my opinion. Getting familiar with examples of other folk’s hardware is the best way, but when you are out in front, shopping for mounts and rings is never easy.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a Nikon rimfire AO scope. I have 2 of them for my RWS 34 and my RWS 48 and the glass is very clear.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Prostaff-Target-Precision-Reticle/dp/B007PXVR5C
View Quote
@bradleyswine

How is the scope holding up? Don’t scopes have to air rifle rated?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top