Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2018 6:41:30 PM EDT
It will be using a Springfield scope mount... I know the Leupold Mark 4 is an obvious choice, but am also looking at quality Nikon or Vortex options with a proven track record of fellow arfcommers. I like the thought of the BDC reticle, but would like to find one that closely matches this application. Any photos or information would help. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a better mount.

A lot of people like Sadlak but they’re not cheap. M14 gunsmith ‘Tonyben’ recommends the Bassett mounts for ease of installation and repeatability of zero after removing and remounting it.

EDIT: If I was going to scope my Poly M14S I’d get as low a mount as possible. Its previous owner had an ARMS #18 mount, but I’d also consider a Bassett low/steel piece. For glass I’d get a Primary Arms Gen3 1-6 ACSS scope, with good rings.

No reason to go overboard on the optics until you see the accuracy potential in both the rifle and yourself. M14s are tricky to keep shooting well, and doing a bit of homework can prevent going down the proverbial rabbit-hole, with a lot of your hard-earned cash following you down.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The get a better mount advice is correct. I use a Leopold Mark III 3.5x10 . It works well for the application on a Sadlak mount. The Springfield mount would loosen often even with blue loctite.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Agreed with the Mount advice above. I’m running a Sadlak and it’s been rock solid.

I also kept the optic simple with a SWFA side focus fixed 10X.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#4]

This is my M1A Standard model in a USGI fiberglass stock with an ARMS #18 mount, ARMS #22 low rings, and a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40. I chose the ARMS mount because it was what I wanted and it is a high quality mount. The ARMS mount is very sensitive to non USGI spec receivers and mine needed to be fit. The bump in the reciever on my SAI where the bolt screws into is a little oversize. I ground the mount to clear the bump and allow the rails to bottom out in the grooves. Brownells 44/40 matches the original finish nicely. I pre-emptively installed a USGI extractor and ejector in my rifle. My cases clear the mount just fine.

I personally would avoid the Springfield mounts. They have a reputation for shooting loose and for the money you can get a better mount. ARMS, Sadlak, and Smith Enterprises all make great mounts. My only suggestion is have a USGI extractor, ejector, and ejector spring handy if the brass doesn’t clear the mount. You can also tune the ejection pattern by trimming a couple coils off the ejector spring. Finally make sure your scope ring nuts or levers are on the left side of the receiver to clear brass.

Now if you don’t want to mess with the above and want a great mount look at the Basset low picatinny mount. The Basset works with no modification to the mount and is very simple to install.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input. Seems as though I need to start by updating my mount.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]
NF 2.5-10x32
LRB
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. Seems as though I need to start by updating my mount.
View Quote
ARMS #18 mounts turn up in the $150 range on the EE and on the M14 Forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top