Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2021 8:27:31 PM EDT
I bought a couple of .22's last year but haven't scoped them yet. Well, today it got done.

First is a gently used Browning T-Bolt in .22LR, wood stock, heavy target barrel. Came with rings as it was gently used. I had one of these several years ago but foolishly traded it towards something else.

Scope is a Nikon 6x18x40. Yes, I know Nikon is out of the scope bidness. But for $200, Nikon delivers a damn good scope, IMO. The scope sits SO close to the barrel, I had to grind down the front objective lens cap in order for it to fit the scope. I knew it would be close, which is why I didn't do a 50mm or 44mm objective.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Second project completed today was my Winchester 1885 Low Wall in .22mag.

After looking for several days, it was proven that the ONLY people making a scope base for this thing is a company called Talley. One-piece base is $100. Rings were another $80 as they're the only rings that will fit their base. Quality items, for sure. But damn, they ain't cheap!

I had a Leupold 1x4x24 sitting around that I had used on an AR for 3 Gun matches. I won't be shooting .22mag much past 100 yards (I think) so a 1x4 would do nicely, IMO. The shorter length prevents the scope from overwhelming the rifle, IMO. Clears the action, hammer nicely as well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Those nikon rimfire scopes are nice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Second project completed today was my Winchester 1885 Low Wall in .22mag.

After looking for several days, it was proven that the ONLY people making a scope base for this thing is a company called Talley. One-piece base is $100. Rings were another $80 as they're the only rings that will fit their base. Quality items, for sure. But damn, they ain't cheap!

I had a Leupold 1x4x24 sitting around that I had used on an AR for 3 Gun matches. I won't be shooting .22mag much past 100 yards (I think) so a 1x4 would do nicely, IMO. The shorter length prevents the scope from overwhelming the rifle, IMO. Clears the action, hammer nicely as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15596/1885_1_jpg-1865826.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15596/1885_2_jpg-1865827.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15596/1885_3_jpg-1865828.JPG
View Quote

Talley steel bases and rings, either fixed or QD with indexible levers have been my "go to" bolt gun hunting scope mounting system for decades.  They are the darling of high end custom gunsmith builds and for good reason.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
dang, that Low Wall may cause me to have to spend money.
Are you going to put a blank in that rear sight dovetail?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top