Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2021 12:29:58 PM EDT
Working my way into one the extra hard way.  Already have a M203 and are familiar with them.  What do I need to know about the M79?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
All I know is some parts are hard to come by. If you are looking for parts, I recommend calling (and I mean do actually put in a phone call) Recon Ordnance up in Wisconsin. What kind of receiver you got just for grins? A GI one or one of the Randy Shivak’s? I’m in the process of acquiring one myself. I managed to find a Kanaar Corp receiver this past week.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a nice guy with a complete parts kit on gunbroker. Comes with a receiver forging to finish machine.

Barrels are anywhere from 600 bucks to 2500, depending on what is included. The rear sight alone usually goes for quite a bit. I think thebknly cheap parts are the stocks, which there seems to have been a huge surplus made
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a nice guy with a complete parts kit on gunbroker. Comes with a receiver forging to finish machine.

Barrels are anywhere from 600 bucks to 2500, depending on what is included. The rear sight alone usually goes for quite a bit. I think thebknly cheap parts are the stocks, which there seems to have been a huge surplus made
View Quote

That nice guy posted it up too late.  Ordered one from someone else.

Going to machine my own receiver from a casting.

If I were smart, I'd send off the Form 1 now.  But instead I think I'll sleeve a barrel to 37mm until I am sure it is working nicely.

How did yours turn out?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the going rate for an M79?

Does anybody manufacture & sell new ones or the parts required to form1 one?
Is KANNAR still building new ones?

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
About $8k onward if it’s a USGI like Kanarr or TRW. Neither are in business making these since the 70s I believe. There was one guy named Randy Shivak making reproduction receivers... but I hear he’s no longer doing it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Mr. (Can't remember his name at the moment) at recon ordnance just made a run of new m79 barrels on original tooling.

So that should help keep them alive and help anyone that has a receiver. Maybe he will start doing other parts as well
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mr. (Can't remember his name at the moment) at recon ordnance just made a run of new m79 barrels on original tooling.

So that should help keep them alive and help anyone that has a receiver. Maybe he will start doing other parts as well
View Quote

Jerry made barrels?

Well. I know who I'm calling today.

ETA: Better charge my phone first. The man can hold a conversation. Fascinating guy!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Jerry made barrels?

ETA: Better charge my phone first. The man can hold a conversation. Fascinating guy!
View Quote

Yep! Thats him. Jerry Prasser.

I'm told he did a run of M79 barrels with the original tooling. He has a lot of interesting stuff
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm told he did a run of M79 barrels with the original tooling. He has a lot of interesting stuff
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jerry made barrels?

He sure does have interesting stuff. Among other things I'm pretty sure he has a few years worth of my income.

There's rarely a time I don't have an eye on something or other he's offering.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Would anyone know of specific production numbers & dates for Kanarr Corp or any of the other manufacturers? Unfortunately the only info I can find is the Wikipedia page on the M79 in general (350k made and 5x known makers) and the Forgotten Weapons video on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top