Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2020 8:58:59 PM EDT
I think I'm interested in getting a medium magnification night vision clip on to supplement my thermal habit and to provide a more positive target ID.  I've never used one before.  I plan for it to be switched between rifles and be mounted in front of a 1-6, 2.5-10, and 2.5-15 scope.   Rifles are 5.56, 6.8SPC, 6.5 Creedmore, and a SCAR17 in 308.  Most of the time magnification will be less than 10X, and more often around 6X.

My limited internet search says that some of the lighter weight/lower cost options won't work with rifles over 5.56, which takes out the PVS24.   The PVS-27 and 30 are readily available, but weigh over 3 pounds.  I'm old, low speed and high drag, and would prefer not to have to drag that weight around.  I'm also unable to pay new Knight's prices for their lighter weight UNS models.  What's out there that works, durable, is relatively affordable, and relatively light?

TIA!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I think I'm interested in getting a medium magnification night vision clip on to supplement my thermal habit and to provide a more positive target ID.  I've never used one before.  I plan for it to be switched between rifles and be mounted in front of a 1-6, 2.5-10, and 2.5-15 scope.   Rifles are 5.56, 6.8SPC, 6.5 Creedmore, and a SCAR17 in 308.  Most of the time magnification will be less than 10X, and more often around 6X.

My limited internet search says that some of the lighter weight/lower cost options won't work with rifles over 5.56, which takes out the PVS24.   The PVS-27 and 30 are readily available, but weigh over 3 pounds.  I'm old, low speed and high drag, and would prefer not to have to drag that weight around.  I'm also unable to pay new Knight's prices for their lighter weight UNS models.  What's out there that works, durable, is relatively affordable, and relatively light?

TIA!
View Quote
The standard PVS24 wont work for you but the PVS24 CNVD-LR will and weights only 1.9lbs
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The standard PVS24 wont work for you but the PVS24 CNVD-LR will and weights only 1.9lbs
View Quote
Thanks!  I didn't catch that it was .308 rated.  How's the view through it at 10X?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks!  I didn't catch that it was .308 rated.  How's the view through it at 10X?
View Quote
I do not have first hand experience with the LR version. I do have the standard 24 and it is adequate for pig hunting out to about 250 yards with a 4X ACOG. I have gone to 6X on a nightforce NX8 and it produces a decent image with a DBAL D2 or Luna ELIR-3 providing supplemental IR light.

It is my understanding that the LR version is simply on an entirely different level and 10X with the LR should be easy. LR has a 110mm objective compared to the 55mm on the standard 24
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The PVS-24 LR will wok as would the PVS-22. Based on my experience with the 24LR its going to have more pronounced POI shift than a -22, but its repeatable so its not that big of a deal.

The 24LR can be cranked up to much higher magnification than the -22, its a solid performer at 10x where as thats about the point where the -22 with some scope combos starts to fall to the way side.

The KAC UNS A3 or A2 would also be good choices depending on how nuts you want to get into this realm.
View Quote
I’ve never even seen any videos of the uns a3. Have you spent time behind one? What do you think?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top