Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2018 11:32:20 AM EDT
The rifle in question is one of these:

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1885-high-wall-rifle

I have been looking for another 45-70, and have mainly been looking at lever action rifles.  However, a local shop has one of these on consignment for less than $800.  Here are my questions:

Why do these cost more than lever action rifles?

Are they worth the price?

What advantages, if any, do they have over lever actions?

Do I need to just shut up and buy it?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My experience is limited to the 1863 44-40 lever action rifle and a couple of their Colt SAA clones. Fit and finish was very good. All 3 guns functioned perfectly, and were accurate as well. All the other Uberti products I have seen owned by others had similar experiences to mine.

Uberti products went up in price several years ago when the Dollar/Euro exchange rate was in the Euro's favor. Seems like they pretty much just left them where they were.

Depending on condition and features and the amount of use, $800 COULD be a fair price. Kinda hard to tell without pictures.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input.  I'll pass for now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I paid $900 for mine, but it was like new when I got it. As for accuracy, mine shoots very well about 2" @ 100 yards from a bench. Offhand at 100 and I could kill anything and I suck at offhand shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top