Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2019 11:22:12 PM EDT
Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up my first armor rig. I'm very budget-oriented for this, so cheaper is better, but without using anything I wouldn't want to trust my life on of course. I'm looking for something as reasonably light weight within budget parameters as possible. Not looking at spending more than $500 on the whole rig. I'm also slender, bust size around 35", so I don't need anything huge, per se.

After all of my research, the AR500 III+ Lightweight seems very attractive for the price and seems to have a decent reputation from all of the independent reviews I've seen. If I go that route, I'm truly tied between the Advanced Lightweight Shooter's Cut and the Advanced Shooter's Cut.. but the ALSC does kind of terrify me if it means sacrificing coverage for my lungs, which it looks like it very well should (correct me if I'm wrong). In my research in general, I'm having a really hard time coming across objective and comparative reviews, which is why I'm here now.

Thoughts anyone?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You will always be losing coverage for mobility with plates.  If that tradeoff, in either direction, is right is entirely up to you.  Let the mission drive the gear, not adding "hey this looks cool" or "wow I might use this sometime" be the reason.

Same question comes up about side plates.  Some wear them, some don't.  Some wear them when they feel it is necessary but leave them out other times.

What is the purpose of your plates in the first place?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Budget, weight, threat profile. That's the three basic things you need to define to determine what armor you need.

Also, as above, purpose?

And yes the ALSC cut sacrifices coverage. That style of cut is typically called a swimmers cut, ALSC is just AR500 Armor's fancy branding of the style.

ETA: I see the budget now, somehow missed that before.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a pair of level 4 ceramic plates from RMA for $200 during black Friday and I like them. I think they might be $70 more for the set now. They're not the lightest of the bunch, but I dont expect I'll have to hump them for any prolonged period of time any time soon, and the price was right.

ETA: $270 now for the set.

https://rmadefense.com/product/level-iv-hard-armor-plate-model-1155/
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
First, don't buy steel. It's heavy and doesn't provide adequate protection from high velocity rounds like M193. It's weight also causes it to wear out carriers faster than ceramics or PE plates. The AR500 lightweight cuts for 10x12 with their lightweight III+ material weights 5.5lbs and the ASC cut weighs 6.5. Using some dimensional analysis and assuming that the ASC offers 112 square inches of coverage because of the shoulders it comes out that the ALSC only offers about 95 square inches of coverage. I'm pretty small chested myself, 36in, and I use SAPI smalls, which offer about the same coverage. 102 square inches before shoulder cuts. The companies that sell steel armor also typically don't have their own NIJ certs, they get them from the company that makes the steel used. Which means it leaves the factory pre hardened. Any traumatic drops can cause the steel to have micro fractures, so thin you need a microscope to see them in the structure of the steel. The harder the more easily they form. While not as likely to cause failure as those in ceramics these tiny imperfections in the material provide a point of failure. Especially early on a few companies had regular recalls of plates because very hard plates are hard to bend without causing enough fracures to make them fail. The High com AR1000 was probably suspended from NIJ certification for this reason. Your budget of $500 might need to be readdressed. It's not unreasonable to expect your PPE to cost as much as your rifle. A carrier alone may cost over $200.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want level 3, I recommend PE plates.
The weight savings is by far worth it over steel.
6lb for 2 plates vs ~20lb

If you want level 4, unless I'm behind the times, you're pretty much stuck with ceramics.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want level 3, I recommend PE plates.
The weight savings is by far worth it over steel.
6lb for 2 plates vs ~20lb

If you want level 4, unless I'm behind the times, you're pretty much stuck with ceramics.
View Quote
The counter to polyethylene plates being that M855 is a threat, plus they're usually just over an inch thick. If you can live with that they're an otherwise good option. Also cost, even small poly plates are going to cost $300+ typically if you want a multicurve plate.

Yes, you'll only find ceramics at level IV.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:25:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Forget steel.  This may put you a little over $500 but is a decent setup again depending on your use for it.
RMA lvl 3+ multicurve plates $215ish each at around 4# each
Shellback Banshee carrier for $216
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:45:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Cheapest are the Battle Steel Level IV on sale for $90.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The counter to polyethylene plates being that M855 is a threat, plus they're usually just over an inch thick. If you can live with that they're an otherwise good option. Also cost, even small poly plates are going to cost $300+ typically if you want a multicurve plate.

Yes, you'll only find ceramics at level IV.
View Quote
I don't know if polyethylene plates are ever a good option.

Here's why:  https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2017/topic-pages/tables/table-31.xls

The 5.56x45mm/.223 wins the "most common, most deadly" crown.  These days, M855 is downright ubiquitous, so it's a very plausible threat.  A PE plate won't stop it reliably.

7.62x39mm comes in second place, and some polyethylene-only plates won't stop the 7.62x39mm Type PS round.  (a.k.a. "MSC," "PS Ball," M43.)  They test against the lead-cored M67 instead.  But the Type PS is a very common round.

Lastly, the 5.45x39mm punches above its weight on that table, and I don't know if polyethylene plates will stop any of the 5.45x39mm rounds out there.

In all seriousness, I think that a good steel plate is better than a pure PE plate -- the steel plate is thinner, tougher, cheaper, and will stop M855.  But, of course, ceramic plates are best of all.  The new RMA 3+ is a safe bet.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No way. That sounds too good to be true. What a steal! Thank you. Anyone else have thoughts on these plates? They are Chinese and from Botach, which scares most people off it seems.. but they're NIJ tested, so.. *shrug*

Quoted:
State-side general SHTF prep. Nothing in particular - but after mulling this over more, I am certainly of the mind that I might as well get more protection than less since if I'm wearing a vest, it's because I'm stationary in a vehicle or not going terribly far. Otherwise, I'm ditching any dead weight I can if bugging out long-distance on foot.

Another question: Do you need trauma pads for ceramic plates?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No way. That sounds too good to be true. What a steal! Thank you. Anyone else have thoughts on these plates?

State-side general SHTF prep. Nothing in particular - but after mulling this over more, I am certainly of the mind that I might as well get more protection than less since if I'm wearing a vest, it's because I'm stationary in a vehicle or not going terribly far. Otherwise, I'm ditching any dead weight I can if bugging out long-distance on foot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way. That sounds too good to be true. What a steal! Thank you. Anyone else have thoughts on these plates?

Quoted:

You don't "need" trauma pads for anything unless the armor specifically says it must be worn with such an item. They're purely optional, just something you can add if you desire a reduction in blunt force trauma but at the price of increased weight, thickness, and cost.

I don't use them. Stand alone armor is designed so that the wearer can walk away from a hit provided the projectile was within the armors threat level.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Just my 2 cents

Stick with ceramic, the are light, more durable than most internet ninjas claim, and they stop threats that steel and polymer plates have troubles with.

I personally use NIJ level 3. AP ammo isn't terrible common state side. Black tip 30.06 would be one of only a few rounds that you could buy in the US and actually defeat a level lvl 3 plate.

I also use an armor carrier instead of a plate carrier. I think this is more personal preference. Plate carriers are popular but as a civilian my biggest concern is home invasion, and the most likely firearm threat would be a pistol round. Soft armor offers up a lot of protection with minimal weight or added cost. There might be some mobility lost but I'm inside of a home so I'm not sure how mobility will help much, I would rather have more armor. There is a reason why swat teams, who engage armed suspects indoors in tight hallways and small rooms prefer to wear as much armor as possible.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Steel, Ceramic or PE it’s up to you OP..

..But get the a set with multi curve design!
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Regarding the Botach/Battle Steel Level IV - I did find this video.. the results are surprisingly good but still terrifying based on how deformed that clay gets: Demo Video
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I'm reading their description right I'm taking they are made with silicon carbide?  And for $90? Something doesn't make sense here.

"Battle Steels Ceramic (SIC) PE Composite ballistic armor plates are tested under NIJ-0101.06 IV body armor standards"
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Forget steel.  This may put you a little over $500 but is a decent setup again depending on your use for it.
View Quote
Glad I found this thread — I am considering the setup you mentioned, just need to save up a little cash first.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Glad I found this thread — I am considering the setup you mentioned, just need to save up a little cash first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think you will be happy with this setup. Nice and light.  I have a Banshee and find it to be very comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:12:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If I'm reading their description right I'm taking they are made with silicon carbide?  And for $90? Something doesn't make sense here.

"Battle Steels Ceramic (SIC) PE Composite ballistic armor plates are tested under NIJ-0101.06 IV body armor standards"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Imported materials".

There was a thread in here earlier about whether or not those were actually just straight up Chinese made plates, and they may very well be. The generic shape, use of single curve only, and the characteristic rim scream Chinese.

ETA: Battle Steel is also a brand whose presence is entirely on Botach's site and Botach's eBay store, which raises another flag.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#19]
F'in RMA though. Look on their website, plate thickness advertises as 1".  Look at the pic, more like 1.5-1.75".  That's because the 1" is before they put the foam backer on. Make sure your plate carrier can fit something that thick.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
F'in RMA though. Look on their website, plate thickness advertises as 1".  Look at the pic, more like 1.5-1.75".  That's because the 1" is before they put the foam backer on. Make sure your plate carrier can fit something that thick.
View Quote
Where are you getting your information from that's the thickness before the foam is added?   My Highcom plates are .95" thick.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think you will be happy with this setup. Nice and light.  I have a Banshee and find it to be very comfortable.
I placed my order for the RMA multi-curve level III+ plates on January 12th and just received them in mail yesterday afternooon. Very happy with these plates, very comfortable and lightweight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I placed my order for the RMA multi-curve level III+ plates on January 12th and just received them in mail yesterday afternooon. Very happy with these plates, very comfortable and lightweight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@MyLittlePony
would you do me a favor and measure the thickness? And post some pics please?
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Protection vs weight vs cost.

You can buy cheap NIJ IV plates, but they won't be light.
You can buy light, cheap plates, but they might not meet your desired level of protection.
You can buy light NIJ IV plates, but they won't be cheap!

It's all a tradeoff. I've got a set of the ALSC III+ LW plates and love them; the reduced weight is noticeable and they still cover my vitals satisfactorily. That particular plate (especially on the 50% off Black Friday deal I got mine on) is about perfect on the protection/weight/cost scale for my needs, which amount to a durable, affordable, reasonably lightweight plate that offers protection against M193 ball. The only AP threat I'd expect to encounter CONUS is M2 ball out of a .30-06, which is sufficiently uncommon to not really concern me.

Your choice should depend on the combination of protection, weight, and cost that best meets your needs. What is your planned use for these plates, what is your budget, and what threats do you expect to encounter in your area?
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad I found this thread...Unfortunately my budget only allows for the  Level III+ Lightweight (FULL) Curved Armor with Trauma Pads Combo for 175 from AR500 armor..
Is this really a bad choice in a Pig Brigadine carrier?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hey, I made those plates for you! I work for RMA and Blake, the owner occasionally gets on this site too. Thanks for the purchase!

I try to check this website once or twice a week. If ya'll have any questions about RMA products let me know. (before everyone asks this, I don't know of any sales coming up other than what we have going on right now)
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@MyLittlePony
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@MyLittlePony
@D-RAS03

Unfortunately I don’t have calipers — looks pretty close to the 1.2” thickness listed on the product page.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
Hey, I made those plates for you! I work for RMA and Blake, the owner occasionally gets on this site too. Thanks for the purchase!
Thank you for your hard work! I’m very happy with my purchase!
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@D-RAS03

Unfortunately I don’t have calipers — looks pretty close to the 1.2” thickness listed on the product page.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/362914/994966C9-9921-49DA-81C6-53D548536A60_jpeg-830821.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/362914/1362F4FC-C224-4F80-90FC-701C25069783_jpeg-830822.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@MyLittlePony
@D-RAS03

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/362914/994966C9-9921-49DA-81C6-53D548536A60_jpeg-830821.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/362914/1362F4FC-C224-4F80-90FC-701C25069783_jpeg-830822.JPG

Quoted:
Thanks man. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#28]
1. Do get multicurved.

2. Dont get steel.

Those two alone solve 90% of your problems with armor.

The next things to look for are less important...

3. Get stand alone.

4. Get ceramic.

Full UHMWPE armor is not going to be in budget but I'd rather have it than steel.

Just like an optic should match the cost of your rifle as a rule of thumb, so should your armor. I take it you only run a $500 rifle? If you didnt have a rifle but had $500 would you save more or buy a $500 rifle?  Do the same with armor or you wont be happy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
1. Do get multicurved.

2. Dont get steel.

Those two alone solve 90% of your problems with armor.

The next things to look for are less important...

3. Get stand alone.

4. Get ceramic.

Full UHMWPE armor is not going to be in budget but I'd rather have it than steel.

Just like an optic should match the cost of your rifle as a rule of thumb, so should your armor. I take it you only run a $500 rifle? If you didnt have a rifle but had $500 would you save more or buy a $500 rifle?  Do the same with armor or you wont be happy.
View Quote
My optic on my bolt gun costs 3 times as much as my rifle
Using that as a metric I could afford some really really nice plates...
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Just checking if it’s recommded to keep my plate carrier stored as pictured:

Attachment Attached File

I know there are certain ways to store soft body armor, wasn’t sure about hard body armor. I figured laying it down in that manner would create the least amount of stress on the carrier.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just checking if it’s recommded to keep my plate carrier stored as pictured:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/362914/308E0329-AA5C-4C60-99BC-F5FF2759AEC4_jpeg-841829.JPG

I know there are certain ways to store soft body armor, wasn’t sure about hard body armor. I figured laying it down in that manner would create the least amount of stress on the carrier.
View Quote
That's what I do with mine.  Lay it down or set it up against the wall.  Hard armor doesn't really matter how you store it.  Nice setup btw
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Ceramic and triple curve.... next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top