Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2020 1:56:17 PM EDT
New scar owner checking in. Question for you guys - do shoot .308 Winchester ammo out of your scar 17s? I’ve read conflicting info on it. I know .308 pressure is slightly higher but the difference seems to be in the length of the chamber. From my reading online everyone says it’s ok to shoot 7.62 in a rifle chambered for .308 but the other way around is questionable.  I emailed FN about it and they replied very quickly but just gave me a legal answer:

“Please note that the barrel and the action of the rifle have been made with substantial safety margins over the pressures developed by established American commercial loads, and for this reason we can only legally recommend using the type of ammunition inscribed on the barrel of each specific firearm.”

Seems like they kind of said it’s ok but due to our lawyers we can’t say it’s ok? Just wanted to hear what experienced scar owners had to say. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot every type of M80 around, surplus DAG.  Winchester, PMC, and currently PPU. As well as 168 gr gold medal March even Amax, it eats it all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, the 17S is rated for .308. So it's safe to use .308.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude, the 17S is rated for .308. So it's safe to use .308.
View Quote
Not trying to start shit but do you have a source? I haven’t found anything saying that and FN isn’t willing to say it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have personally shot a bunch of 308 in mine with no problems at all, and that is in an old SCAR 17 with a six lug bolt.  I know it’s my funeral, any day now the whole thing is gonna grenade in my face but the rifle doesn’t seem to be suffering any ill effects.

The only rounds I have been leery of is Corbon subsonic and that was because I had read about some folks having problems with bullets getting stuck in the bore.  Last thing I wanna do is screw around with trying to unplug an expensive SCAR barrel.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I've ran both .308 and 7.62 through mine without an issue.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You’re going to be fine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top