Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2022 9:14:22 PM EDT
Was a bit disappointed accuracy wise with my 20s. Consistently 1.5-2 moa with FGMM and black hills. Waited a year for my surefire RC2 to finally approve and threw it on. Wow, way better groups. Consistently holding an moa or better with all kinds of brands and weights. Anybody else see this kind of accuracy change? The two things I can think that would change it would be removing the overtorqued flash hider from the factory, or the fact your hanging a heavy can on the end changing the harmonics.

Link Posted: 11/21/2022 2:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
changing  the overtorqued flash hider is supposed to help.
also most of the reviews online have stated adding a can helped reduce grouping size, just as you saw.

curious, what projectile weight were you shooting?
& what is your barrel twist?  1:10 or 1:12?
& @ what distance?

hand loads are generally better.
i've seen 1/2 to 3/4 MOA w/ hand loads...   powder & projectile weight make a big diff....especially in this temperamental platform  

its also a good idea to tune the gas jets
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 3:15:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't answer your question, but I have a 20S as well with the same OG 1:12 twist stepped profile barrel, and I'm not sure what suppressor to get for it!  You make a decent case for the SOCOM-RC2, but I really want something that is a reflex or "OTB" (over-the-barrel) style suppressor like the discontinued Surefire FA762-SV that was originally made just for the 20S.  I'm so annoyed Surefire doesn't make this anymore.  Thinking about taking a chance on the Allen Engineering AE30, but it would require a custom-made brake that I drafted up in a CAD program.  The brake would slip over the barrel and index completely against the muzzle of the barrel.  No shoulder ring would be required.  Pic of brake I designed for the AE30 on SCAR 20S 1:12 twist or 17S:

On that note, how did you mount your SOCOM brake/flash hider?  Did you use the iffy shoulder ring method or did you modify the muzzle device to properly index off of the muzzle like how the OG FH762SV-SCAR brake mounted?

Nice looking setup, btw! ... oh, and in before the poors come to hate on the SCAR platform!
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Was a bit disappointed accuracy wise with my 20s. Consistently 1.5-2 moa with FGMM and black hills. Waited a year for my surefire RC2 to finally approve and threw it on. Wow, way better groups. Consistently holding an moa or better with all kinds of brands and weights. Anybody else see this kind of accuracy change? The two things I can think that would change it would be removing the overtorqued flash hider from the factory, or the fact your hanging a heavy can on the end changing the harmonics.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455200/20221112_160050-2608238.jpg
View Quote

I see you have the older 1:12 barrel. As already mentioned removing the over torqued muzzle device is like step one according to many. I’m sure that was a huge help.

With the 1:12 barrel I found mine really really liked 155gr Hornandy TAP.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 3:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't answer your question, but I have a 20S as well with the same OG 1:12 twist stepped profile barrel, and I'm not sure what suppressor to get for it!  You make a decent case for the SOCOM-RC2, but I really want something that is a reflex or "OTB" (over-the-barrel) style suppressor like the discontinued Surefire FA762-SV that was originally made just for the 20S.  I'm so annoyed Surefire doesn't make this anymore.  Thinking about taking a chance on the Allen Engineering AE30, but it would require a custom-made brake that I drafted up in a CAD program.  The brake would slip over the barrel and index completely against the muzzle of the barrel.  No shoulder ring would be required.  Pic of brake I designed for the AE30 on SCAR 20S 1:12 twist or 17S:

https://i.imgur.com/IbU5MzT.jpg

On that note, how did you mount your SOCOM brake/flash hider?  Did you use the iffy shoulder ring method or did you modify the muzzle device to properly index off of the muzzle like how the OG FH762SV-SCAR brake mounted?

Nice looking setup, btw! ... oh, and in before the poors come to hate on the SCAR platform!
View Quote

You should be the test case for the new Griffin OTB PSR cans.  If I wasn’t already invested in surefire I’d want to chop a MK20 to 18” and have a flush fit set up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You should be the test case for the new Griffin OTB PSR cans.  If I wasn’t already invested in surefire I’d want to chop a MK20 to 18” and have a flush fit set up.
View Quote
I'll have to check that out.  Thanks for the tip.  However, no way I'm gonna chop my barrel!  I don't mind a couple of extra inches hanging off the 20" barrel, but doing something like OP did with the RC2 would just be too long for me.  I already have the OG Knights 7.62QDC suppressor on my 17S SBR, so I've toyed with the idea of putting a QDC flash hider on the 20S and just using the QDC suppressor on it, but same deal.. just too long for me on the 20S.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
So far, surprisingly, the 175 Black hills and 168gr FGMM have shot the best so far. M80 ball (147 gr) and my m80 handloads for my other scar didn't shoot as well considering the twist, 1:12.

The RC2 is perfect on it. I wanted a FA762SV but they are unobtainable so I went with this. Sounds great and very low back pressure, barely cycles on the "suppressed" setting.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#7]
FWIW My 1:12 barrel with an RC2 consistently shoots 5rnd groups in the the .4's at 100yds with Hornady 168 eld's
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I get better groups than that out of my 17.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 1:38:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I definitely see an accuracy improvement suppressed, not as much as you do, but it’s there. More importantly, I see improved consistency running suppressed. With my 1:12 barrel, I get MOA or better with several different handloads, Hornady 168gr. ELD-M and 169gr. SMK’s give me the smallest groups, but I get more consistent hits at 800+ yards with heavier bullets, particularly the Berger 175gr. OTM. I did cut my barrel down to 18” and I’m thinking about cutting it to 16”.

I agree the RC2 is an excellent suppressor and almost perfect for the 20, however I’m seriously looking at Griffin’s new PSR7. I have a thing for OTB suppressors and I missed a couple chances to snag an SV when Surefire ran the last run for the release of the SCAR 20.

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/IbU5MzT.jpg

View Quote

Where are you going to find an AE30? I’d FO in a heartbeat for one of those, it would be perfect for my 6.5 Mk12 and SCAR 20.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where are you going to find an AE30? I’d FO in a heartbeat for one of those, it would be perfect for my 6.5 Mk12 and SCAR 20.
View Quote
@Mblades, You can order one through any Allen Engineering suppressor dealer.  I got all my AEM-5s through Kevin @ High Caliber Sales and will be ordering a AE30 soon.  You just have to wait the ~6 months or so for Ron to catch up on existing orders and get to building it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top