Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2020 6:22:23 PM EDT
Anyone here have a 17s and 20s that they have shot side by side? I have a 1200 yard range on some property of mine that I regularly frequent. Just curious if I could expect any additional accuracy out of the 20s then I am currently a achieving with the 17s.

I have taken the 17 out to 800 yards, with my limiting factor being my Razor 1-6. I am interesting in hearing peoples opinions on these two guns, especially if you own both or have used both. Is it worth picking up a 20s? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd Jill to have a range 1/5 The lenght of yours on my property.
That said, more velocity=flatter trajectory and delay of accuracy loss= capability to accurately reach longer ranges
I don't know much about shooting past 400 yards so mine is just a guess. It seems to me that you are talking about very long distances for a scar
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ssimo:
I'd Jill to have a range 1/5 The lenght of yours on my property.
That said, more velocity=flatter trajectory and delay of accuracy loss= capability to accurately reach longer ranges
I don't know much about shooting past 400 yards so mine is just a guess. It seems to me that you are talking about very long distances for a scar
View Quote

I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere and I have since moved back. Disadvantage I guess is that the closest grocery store is a 45 mile drive, but I’m okay with that!
I am no stranger to longe range applications and precision bolt guns. Just mainly curious if anyone saw a difference in accuracy in a 17 vs 20 out to.. say a 1000 yards. Sure, long barrel = more velocity, I guess I’m more interested in the accuracy side of things.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both.  Two completely diff role setups though.  The 20s is definitely a more precision setup.  I've got an extra 17s 20 inch barrel that I don't even use.

The barrel profile/ way it connects to the gun is different on the 20s.  (more points of contact) where it matters making it more rigid.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
I have both.  Two completely diff role setups though.  The 20s is definitely a more precision setup.  I've got an extra 17s 20 inch barrel that I don't even use.

The barrel profile/ way it connects to the gun is different on the 20s.  (more points of contact) where it matters making it more rigid.
View Quote

Good to know. I also see you just posted up the barrel in the EE. That kind of answers my question of whether or not the 20s is worth dropping the money on as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ricard13:

Good to know. I also see you just posted up the barrel in the EE. That kind of answers my question of whether or not the 20s is worth dropping the money on as well.
View Quote

Yep, my 17s is in 13" configuration, no real reason to keep the 20" barrel when I already have the 20s.  If you didn't want to fork out the $3600-4k+ on a scar 20s and wanted a longer barrel, it's a good option to have.  Won't be the same thing though.  But not supposed to be either.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:54:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ricard13:

I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere and I have since moved back. Disadvantage I guess is that the closest grocery store is a 45 mile drive, but I’m okay with that!
I am no stranger to longe range applications and precision bolt guns. Just mainly curious if anyone saw a difference in accuracy in a 17 vs 20 out to.. say a 1000 yards. Sure, long barrel = more velocity, I guess I’m more interested in the accuracy side of things. 

View Quote

Yes i was saying that beyond 1000 yards more velocity from basically the same system should lead to longer reach just because the projectile maintains the spin better
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone here have a 17s and 20s that they have shot side by side? I have a 1200 yard range on some property of mine that I regularly frequent. Just curious if I could expect any additional accuracy out of the 20s then I am currently a achieving with the 17s.

I have taken the 17 out to 800 yards, with my limiting factor being my Razor 1-6. I am interesting in hearing peoples opinions on these two guns, especially if you own both or have used both. Is it worth picking up a 20s? Thanks.
View Quote

A longer, Heavier barrel is going give you more velocity and more consistency as heavier barrels are less effected as the barrel heats up. The extra 4 inches that the Scar 20 has may give you an additional 100 yards of range or so until the round goes transonic and becomes less stable

As to if its worth picking on up,  that really depends on its use,

For example, How many minute targets are you shooting? for example, if you are shooting a 18 inch IPSC steel target  at 800 yards, thats a little over a 2 MOA target and well within the capabilities of the 17. If you enjoy shooting for groups, well that 20 will be more consistent than the 17.

Personally, I find the Mk20 interesting in 6.5, in 308, not so much.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ancillary to your question but if I were shooting 1.2k I’d be wanting the 20S in 6.5CM bigly over the original .308 (is the CM even released?).
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the ammo is going to be your limiting factor here.  .308 is really pushing it at 1K.  The extra barrel length will help some but I am not sure you are going to get much better results with .308.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I own a Scar 16 and 17.  I had no interest in the 20 until I saw there was a 6.5 version.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I own a Scar 16 and 17.  I had no interest in the 20 until I saw there was a 6.5 version.
View Quote

6.5 would help out to 1200 for sure over the 308.  Honestly if I were going to shoot those ranges I would want 338LM or something a little bigger than the 6.5/260/308 cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm converting my 17S back into a Carbine with a 16" 1:10 twist barrel I got from DS. Should be able to run up to 180-190 gr easily with it then.

Previously had a 20" 5R 1:20 fluted on it from DS that was great, but I'd rather have a 308 Carbine good to 600 yds that doesn't weigh 12 lbs.

Will pickup a 20S at some point in the future... possibly in 6.5 CR
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

6.5 would help out to 1200 for sure over the 308.  Honestly if I were going to shoot those ranges I would want 338LM or something a little bigger than the 6.5/260/308 cartridges.
View Quote
I’ve got a 338 Lapua. That is my primarily hunting rifle. I also have a handful of precision rifles in other calibers including 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 prc. I like the 6.5 calibers, but if I were going to get a 20s I would stick with 308. I’m kind of anal when it comes to my guns and caliber selections. I would get 308 strictly because that is what the 17s is.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like everyone has a soft spot for 6.5 creedmoor. I guess I will need to give that some more consideration. I have several 6.5 bolt precision bolt guns, so the only interest in 308 for the 20s would be to keep the calibers the same between the 20s and 17s.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I have shot both sides by side and there is no question the 20 was more accurate, especially after barrel started heating up due to the skinny barrel on the 17.

but yes, 6.5 would perform much better at that range.

if you are completely sold on the scar and 308 though the 20 would be my choice, remember the 17 was designed to be a lightweight 308 battle rifle after all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top