Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2018 5:35:58 AM EDT
Before i came overseas, i did not really get a chance to put a lot of rounds through my SCAR but recently I have been looking at some of the mods that have come out and was wondering if any body could provide any feedback

from Handle defense
their Mk17 Gas regulator and gas control tuning kit

From Hi Desert Dog
The Scar Receiver Buffer

Parker Machine
The Scar shoulder ring and maybe there SS gas jets

I will most likely send the barrel out to be cut back to 13.5 right before i head back.

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Great looking rifle!
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The 17 is a nearly perfect rifle right out of the box. It's just my opinion, but if it works for you, then there's no need to "upgrade" anything.

That said, once you chop the barrel you will probably have to play with gas jets.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the PMM gas/jet screws in both of mine and am happy with them. Also use the PMM rail elimination panels as I really don't "Tactical" up my rifles too much and don't need the extra rail space, it also gives the gun a much better grip area that I really like.

Wouldn't trust virtually any product from Handl, they have bad mouthed the platform from day one just to try and sell crap for the SCAR that's not needed.

The buffer.....well with the SCAR performance reports from Battlefield Vegas and the abuse/reliability they've had with theirs I really don't see the need for it.

My two cents.

Nice looking SCAR you have, I've got the same scope on my 16" and love it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Modifications:

OEM has improved from the past. The Geissele super SCAR is the goto. Shooting sight triggers is another option. Timney has a tendency to double and triple like the old OEM's did.

Trigger modules. Handl Defense is the originator of the concept, had some early issues, everyone waited for them to get sorted, then everyone copied it. So they are all effectively the same minus appearance and materials. SR25 Magazines are the primary advantage.

Hand Guards. Lots of KDG. If you want to keep the profile slim I would go with PMM's parts. I really like their stuff on a 16. If you have bigger hands the Handl Defesne CF rail is awesome, if you can find it. MI makes some good stuff as well.

Stock Assemblies. there is a Vltor AR type adapter. It makes it non folding but works well if you want a magPul PRS type. The KDG stock is cool looking but I have two issues with it. It changes the shoulder index and moves it lower than I would like. the base plate is made of metal and there are issues with screws in the back plate canting. Now if you run 118LR and under suppression you are asking for it. There are alot of guns with 130-150's and no suppressors without any cant on those screws.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Pt2

Mototech recoil buffer pads. They make them of two materials and of different compounds, worth a try.

Suppressors. the best information comes from Handl Defense's blog posts. If you want to suppress the gun you'll need gas jet kits. Handl Defense or PMM are your sources. video you gun shooting and there should be no excess gas coming out of the chamber. Or go buy a Surefire. Surefire has a few cans approved for use with the MK.17/Mk.20.

Optics. Vortex Razors, Leupold Mk.6's or Mk.8, anything NF, S&B, Elcans, Aimpoint T's and H's, SCARs will kill cheap optics.

The facebook Scar Owners Group you have to ask to be a part of is a good source. PMM, Handl Defense, shooting sight, mototech, Otto Arms, KDG, MI, and most other reputable companies are in there. FN forums is not recommended as an unbiased source nor is the open FB scar owners group
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
So I’m curious. Why the HDD buffer? Seems a solution in search of a problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pt2

Mototech recoil buffer pads. They make them of two materials and of different compounds, worth a try.

Suppressors. the best information comes from Handl Defense's blog posts. If you want to suppress the gun you'll need gas jet kits. Handl Defense or PMM are your sources. video you gun shooting and there should be no excess gas coming out of the chamber. Or go buy a Surefire. Surefire has a few cans approved for use with the MK.17/Mk.20.

Optics. Vortex Razors, Leupold Mk.6's or Mk.8, anything NF, S&B, Elcans, Aimpoint T's and H's, SCARs will kill cheap optics.

The facebook Scar Owners Group you have to ask to be a part of is a good source. PMM, Handl Defense, shooting sight, mototech, Otto Arms, KDG, MI, and most other reputable companies are in there. FN forums is not recommended as an unbiased source nor is the open FB scar owners group
View Quote
Midwest Gun Works is also a great source for gas jets, and all SCAR parts for that matter.

Adjusting the gas jet on a suppressed scar does not require video IMO. Simply read the thread in this sub forum that discusses others’ experiences with various cans, gas jets, barrel lengths, then buy a few sizes larger and smaller than you think you need.

Go to the range, and shoot. One round loaded in your mag. You want the jet that:
1. Valve set to unsuppressed. No can. Bolt locks open.
2. Valve set to suppressed. No can. Bolt does not lock open.
3. Valve set to suppressed. Can installed. Bolt locks open.

SF cans still benefit from this exercise, despite the fact that they have far less back pressure than some of their other contemporary competitors.

The ability to swap gas jets is one of the single most notable attributes of the SCAR.

I personally wouldn’t add a buffer. Seems a solution in search of a problem. Just like the Blackjack AK, G3, etc buffers.

Handl Mk17 Gas regulator and gas control tuning kit. Eh....Why? A scar properly tuned to your suppressor with the right factory gas jet is super smooth shooting and will have either essentially no gas to your face (with SF and prob DeadAir can) or less gas to your face (with other cans).

PMM shoulder is great. They make excellent kit. I’m sure their gas jets are great too, though I have no personal experience and have only purchased factory jets.

My $0.02 is to add either a KDG or PMM rail, tune the gas jet to your suppressor, add a Geissele trigger, add a Nightforce ATACR 1-8, skip the Handl stuff, skip the HDD stuff. A good friend has his 17 set up as I described and it’s an absolute pleasure to shoot with SF 762 socom mini. So much so that I am having a hard time resisting the urge to add a 17 to keep my 16 SBR company. Oh, I would personally also keep your factory barrel and buy an additional 13” barrel.

Edited to add Geissele trigger.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Go to the range, and shoot. One round loaded in your mag. You want the jet that:
1. Valve set to unsuppressed. No can. Bolt locks open.
2. Valve set to suppressed. No can. Bolt does not lock open.
3. Valve set to suppressed. Can installed. Bolt locks open.
View Quote
I did this with my factory 13” barrel assembly and my Sandman S. The factory jet was GTG.

My only mods are a Geissele trigger, 13” barrel assembly  and some PMM M-Lok rails.

Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I did this with my factory 13” barrel assembly and my Sandman S. The factory jet was GTG.

My only mods are a Geissele trigger, 13” barrel assembly  and some PMM M-Lok rails.

https://i.imgur.com/holjrTH.jpg
View Quote
Sheesh, how could I forget the Geissele trigger?! It’s an essential upgrade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top