Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2018 1:49:04 AM EDT
So, after all this time is there a company who makes a quality magazine for the Scar 17 or will Magpul ever decide to make these mags?  No I don't want to take a current magazine and modify it to work in the 17.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not just use he factory mag? They can be found for $30 on sale from time to time.

I don't know of any AM mags worth buying unless you convert to PMAGS.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I just bought 20 of the factory mags and called it a day. I may pick up a lower that takes the Magpul mags down the road. Throwing away money in on other stuff right now though. Like a 2nd SCAR that should be here Tuesday.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont want to convert any mags and just wondering if a polymer lighter mag for the Scar 17 was available but I have not seen it.  As for the factory mags its no problem they work fine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Couple years ago a guy who made FAL mags produced polymer mags for the scar 17. I ordered 2 to test them out and never received them after getting constant excuses from him. I just stock up on the factory mags when on sale or find a decent deal on the EE.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dont want to convert any mags and just wondering if a polymer lighter mag for the Scar 17 was available but I have not seen it.  As for the factory mags its no problem they work fine.
View Quote
To my knowledge the factory metal mags are all that exists. For the guys that want to use polymer mags they've just been buying the aftermarket lowers and using .308 Pmags and such.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Couple years ago a guy who made FAL mags produced polymer mags for the scar 17. I ordered 2 to test them out and never received them after getting constant excuses from him. I just stock up on the factory mags when on sale or find a decent deal on the EE.
View Quote
I got 10 of these from Moses mags a couple years ago. I plan to try them when my factory range mags wear out. Whenever that will be.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
There are also the Thermold and Promag polymer available.
I got some of both cheap and they do work so far.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Decent price on FN factory 20 round magazines. Add to cart to see the discounted price.

Mags
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Decent price on FN factory 20 round magazines. Add to cart to see the discounted price.

Mags
View Quote
Thx
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mags
View Quote
Thanks for that link. I had came across those Molon Labe Industries mags recently and was curious about reliability. Sounds iffy. Personally there are two options for myself. At least for mags I’d trust for other than range use. Factory or a receiver swap to use SR-25 mags. Just me though.

I’m sure everyone here already knows but just in case someone doesn’t, I wouldn’t take that guys advice about using your mag as a monopod extensively. Not a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Just shop around for the factory mags.

They are 100%.

Nothing else is 100%

They're really not that expensive.  Especially compared to the price of the rifle.  Just buy a few here and there and before you know it you'll have a dozen or two.

Why buy a $3k rifle, and then jump through hoops and go to great lengths just to be able to run different mags in it.  Yeah it would have been awesome if FN designed this thing to run SR25 magazines but we're out of luck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up some surplus ones at a gun show for $15 each. Ft. Bragg is right down the road though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I picked up some surplus ones at a gun show for $15 each. Ft. Bragg is right down the road though.
View Quote
Most surplus I've seen are retired because they have cracks forming at the feedlips. They still work.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:06:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I dont think there is any money to be made sliding in between Pro-mag and OEM pricing.

The only company I could see entering into this and being profitable would be Lancer Systems.

Would be 30%-40% more expensive but would reliably offer +5 rounds in 25 round bodies and translucence.

I think they'd sell well enough. Maybe one day.

Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most surplus I've seen are retired because they have cracks forming at the feedlips. They still work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They work fine, one is even all camo'd up. Seller's buddy had kept them when he ETS'd was what I was told.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought my first Scar-17 used and it came with one of the first Handl lowers.  I liked the idea at the time, because I also had a Colt 901 and XCR-M (mag compatibility).  I bought a second Scar-17 dealer new with teh factory polymer lower.  After using both I sold the used gun with the Handl lower and accepted that I'd have different mags for different guns.

As a side, after shooting the Scar-17, Colt 901, and XCR-M side by side several times I sold the Colt and Robinson Armament.

I like the factory SCAR-H magazines and don't find $30 a unit to be offensive.  Look at how much some handgun magazines cost, and they're smaller (less material).
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought my first Scar-17 used and it came with one of the first Handl lowers.  I liked the idea at the time, because I also had a Colt 901 and XCR-M (mag compatibility).  I bought a second Scar-17 dealer new with teh factory polymer lower.  After using both I sold the used gun with the Handl lower and accepted that I'd have different mags for different guns.

As a side, after shooting the Scar-17, Colt 901, and XCR-M side by side several times I sold the Colt and Robinson Armament.

I like the factory SCAR-H magazines and don't find $30 a unit to be offensive.  Look at how much some handgun magazines cost, and they're smaller (less material).
View Quote
All of this. ^^^

Boy, it would be great to get a report on that XCR-M. Any chance of that?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

All of this. ^^^

Boy, it would be great to get a report on that XCR-M. Any chance of that?
View Quote
The short version ....

The XCR-M was an early production gun, and rattled like a handful of nuts in a coffee can.  I REALLY like the XCR-L, but couldn't warm up to the bigger / heavier XCR-M.  At the time, the SCAR-H "felt" (totally subjective) better, higher quality, and "shot better".  By "shot better" I mean I was able to print better groups, liked the recoil impulse better (the FN / PWS brake is an ear ringer, but it does help tame the 762 recoil).

I bought the XCR-M expecting it to be like the SCAR-H was to the SCAR-L... a slightly bigger and better version of the same gun.  The XCR-M is a bigger version of the XCR-L, but it just handled differently (the difference was more pronounced than the Scar -to- Scar comparison).

I had a few screws work loose on the XCR-M so I was concerned about the QC, and sold it.

I've never considered another M, but would take an L over a lot of different options.

I've said, recently in another post, Robinson Armament should invest more in product refinement before their public launches.  They're a "better" version of Kel-Tec in this regard.  GREAT engineering, but rather poor pre-production development.

If the XCR (L and M) were refined and manufactured by a company like FN (to Scar standards) ... I wouldn't own a Scar.

FULL DISCLOSURE:  My Robinson experience runs back to the original M96 release.  My first RA M96 was a three digit serial number.  I've had 3 M96s, and at least 5 XCRs over the past x years.  I'm not a RA hater ... I really like the XCR design...but wish the execution was better.

Think of it this way ... what would a 7.62x51mm ACR be like?  That paints a strong picture...
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The short version ....

The XCR-M was an early production gun, and rattled like a handful of nuts in a coffee can.  I REALLY like the XCR-L, but couldn't warm up to the bigger / heavier XCR-M.  At the time, the SCAR-H "felt" (totally subjective) better, higher quality, and "shot better".  By "shot better" I mean I was able to print better groups, liked the recoil impulse better (the FN / PWS brake is an ear ringer, but it does help tame the 762 recoil).

I bought the XCR-M expecting it to be like the SCAR-H was to the SCAR-L... a slightly bigger and better version of the same gun.  The XCR-M is a bigger version of the XCR-L, but it just handled differently (the difference was more pronounced than the Scar -to- Scar comparison).

I had a few screws work loose on the XCR-M so I was concerned about the QC, and sold it.

I've never considered another M, but would take an L over a lot of different options.

I've said, recently in another post, Robinson Armament should invest more in product refinement before their public launches.  They're a "better" version of Kel-Tec in this regard.  GREAT engineering, but rather poor pre-production development.

If the XCR (L and M) were refined and manufactured by a company like FN (to Scar standards) ... I wouldn't own a Scar.

FULL DISCLOSURE:  My Robinson experience runs back to the original M96 release.  My first RA M96 was a three digit serial number.  I've had 3 M96s, and at least 5 XCRs over the past x years.  I'm not a RA hater ... I really like the XCR design...but wish the execution was better.

Think of it this way ... what would a 7.62x51mm ACR be like?  That paints a strong picture...
View Quote
Thanks man...great summary. Matches the other things I've heard.

Like the ACR, it's unfortunate a promising design is wasted on a company that can't realize its potential.

Okay, done derailing the thread.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Get 9 extra mags to go with the one that comes with it. 10 magazines should be enough until you find a great deal. They are $30-32 now new. Get 9 of them. If there is ever a crazy sale, get more then.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought one of the Stryker Ind aluminum lower assemblies that accept MagPul 25 rd magazines. I keep the OEM receiver in the event I ever want to switch back or ever decide to sell it if something better ever comes along. I also switched out the OEM trigger group for a Geissele Super SCAR trigger group. It's nice to be able to use 25rd magazines as opposed to the 20rd ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top