Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2020 5:56:43 PM EDT
So I’m sitting on a few 80 percent lowers and a couple unassembled LaRue lowers, if I was going to Sbr 2 of them would it be the 80 percent or the two LaRue’s?

I understand that either would need some additional engraving but the two LaRue’s are already in my name, the 80 per center’s are non existent in the government’s data base.

The 80 per centers are black rain billets so they are a good lower.

These are my first sbr’s so Im off to read more on the net. Sorry if this is a dumb question

Pete
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure the whole point of an 80% lower is that it isn't on any paperwork, so I'd go with the LT lowers to SBR...
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the whole point of an 80% lower is that it isn't on any paperwork, so I'd go with the LT lowers to SBR...
View Quote

There's that first post again.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
80s to me were more for the fun of making them,puts a little more of me into the cookie cutter AR design. But I see what you are saying, besides I suppose technically the LaRue is a superior lower as he Didn’t mill his using a router LOL

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Its whatever you want man.  Most of us here have blown $200 on dumber stuff than a tax stamp.  Many have spent that much getting wastie pants on a friday night.

I've got friends with a $200 tax stamp on a $8 ebay thread adapter for an oil filter.  #YOLO that shit man.  If you want to SBR a 80% lower, you do you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

YMMV.

80% allow you to have a nice clean lower with your unique markings.

I would not muck up my LaRue lower with maker markings.

Nothing kills a gun value more than trying to resell it with somebody's Trust name on it.

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of people have Form 1’d 80-percenters. Usually to get a custom marking, font, graphic.  It probably helps to add a note, something to the effect of “AR configuration receiver to be milled from aluminum casting, pending Form 1 approval”.  

It’s weird how people think 80% ARs are only good for some kind of underground, off-the-books endeavor.  It’s like they swallow the news media ghost gun propaganda. Yet lots of 80-percenters in the retro forum are fully marked replicas with unique serial numbers. And 80% suppressor kits are largely sold for registration with several businesses specializing in laser marking non-flat surfaces.  Most people who drop $400-$600 on titanium wind chime parts for a Form 1 suppressor don’t do that to save a stamp and hide it in the ground somewhere.  The people that do are probably the ones buying chinesium crap off of Wish.  

One benefit to 80% is if an engraved article is lost in shipping it’s not even a firearm yet.  I think it’s better to engrave either approach first so that if trivial engraving mistakes are made you can correctly fill out the Form.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]
What if 80% lowers are banned in the future ? Will NFA registration protect them ?
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I’m sitting on a few 80 percent lowers and a couple unassembled LaRue lowers, if I was going to Sbr 2 of them would it be the 80 percent or the two LaRue’s?

I understand that either would need some additional engraving but the two LaRue’s are already in my name, the 80 per center’s are non existent in the government’s data base.

The 80 per centers are black rain billets so they are a good lower.

These are my first sbr’s so Im off to read more on the net. Sorry if this is a dumb question

Pete
View Quote

Not a dumb question at all.  Do the 80 percenters. You potentially ruin the value of the factory lower with your "maker" engraving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top