Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2020 8:33:34 PM EDT
Just got the Manticore's CZ Scopion bullpup kit yesterday. Got it installed in a bit longer than the 15 minutes they say you can swap back and forth. Part of that was because I had to swap back to the original higher weight trigger spring. (The lighter weight one wouldn't reset the trigger in the bullpup kit.

Custom Elements

• The grip is the YetiWurks switchback grip. It fit fine after I took about 1/32" off the inside of the grip where it fits around the trigger guard.

• The trigger is Shooter's Element flat trigger, it fit with no issues or adjustments.

• I had an aftermarket magazine release, also from Shooter's Element. It won't fit without carving off some significant material from it, it is about 1/4" too wide to fit in the bullpup lower. But it really doesn't need an aftermarket release, the included one is very nice and easy to trip with your thumb when you grasp the magazine.

• You'll probably want an extended charging handle if you are going to mount the included picatinny riser that comes with the kit. It doesn't block the standard handle, but that HK slap is not as easy with the stock one.

• The rear QD sling mounts are Parker Mountain Machine's. Important Note: The mounts will only fit in the straight across configuration, they will not fit at the 30° upward tilt as the cheekpiece interferes. You could carve a bit off the cheekpiece of course.

• Note that the only safety that will work with the kit is the included cross-bolt safety. Not an issue for me as I was already using a crossbolt safety.

Notes
Trigger seems crisp and clean. It is a straight pull instead of a pivot, but the break still feels crisp and I didn't notice a difference when dryfiring.

Sadly, it will not work with binary triggers.

Not sure about the foreend, seems too short now. But Manticore wants $180 for a longer one and (for obvious reasons) they won't say if the kit works with any other forends.

Stock CZ iron sights will not quite fit on the riser, the rear sight has to hang off the end by one slot to not rub the Holosun.

Final Thoughts
I will be shooting it this week, I will update as to the characteristics as soon as I do.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, I figured it was because the slot location for the front hook had to be in exactly the right place. Not really interested in fabbing my own parts, especially since that front hook has to be precise in order to function properly.

Please pass my compliments to the engineering and production teams, the kit is very well designed and built.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been very tempted to drop my Carbine in that stock and do the longer forend, as I think it would be an incredibly awesome setup.

But I love my Carbine "as is" too much currently, and am not too keen on buying another one just yet until I see more setups like I'm thinking in the wild (and yes, I recognize the dichotomy of that).
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
So...shooting left handed?  Possible?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
@Seven-Shooter

If you are ever in the neighborhood, PM me and we might be able to arrange a meeting at the range. :) If you want to get a limited idea of what it is like, put a vertical grip on the forth or fifth M Lok slot, fold your buttstock and carry it as if the foregrip were the grip.

@Salvadorsshadow

Left-handed is definitely possible. The installation guide for the bullpup kit says it should be only shot right handed because of the possibility of "serious injury" shooting it left handed, but I have no idea why. The brass is thrown at about 3 o'clock. I put about 75 rounds downrange left-handed and caught 1 brass on my shoulder. Someone with a more tilted stance might get more (I am about 45°). There was a not insignificant about of blowback gas against my lower face shooting it left handed. I still have my entire beard, so it wasn't that bad. I'm going to keep shooting it both left and right handed and I formally absolve and hold harmless both Manticore and CZ USA from any injuries I may suffer shooting it left handed.

The biggest issue about left handed shooting is that the bolt is not easily released with your right hand. I was able to do it by curling my fingers under it just behind the magazine and using my index and middle fingers to pull it down. The easier way to do it is to cycle the bolt with the charging handle. You'll want the charging handle on the right side if you are going to shoot left handed, reaching over is not going to be easy.

General Range Report:

Pros:

Short distance shooting is excellent. There is virtually no muzzle rise with the stock muzzle device. Follow up shots are quick and easy. It fits easily through the doorways of my house. It can be comfortably held with one hand. I think it is actually easier to reload in the bullpup kit as you just grab the magazine, trip the release with your thumb and pull. The previous magazine release was split across the trigger, giving you a smaller surface to hit with your thumb. And extended releases pushed the lever farther from the magazine, making for a more awkward release. The charging handle is right behind the grip meaning you can load, charge, grip with one smooth motion.

Cons:

Longer distance shooting suffers a bit from the effectively shortened foregrip. Basically, there is enough foregrip for someone with average hands to c-clamp it. I found a combination of c-clamp and mag grip to be the best. An angled grip with an aggresive angle might be better, but so far I've not found one short enough (there is enough foregrip left for a 7-slot rail). If I were to be going past 50 yards, I would switch it back to the standard configuration or get the longer foregrip from Manticore.

Note:

You have to remove the buttplate to field strip the Scorpion. I think that is that done to provide another point of connection between the lower and upper. I can appreciate the extra strength of it and I'm sure the buttplate will get easier to remove over time.

Recommendations:

Cannot stress enough that you really should get an extended charging handle. The forward positioning of the bullpup puts the charging handles right where the ideal location for an optic is. Speaking of optics, you may want to think about 45° degree offset iron sights if you are going to run an optic. I have the Holosun 510c and there is just not quite enough room for the stock CZ Scorpion sights with that. If you don't want to use the supplied riser, you'll want at least a 1 inch rise, otherwise you'll be squashing your cheek into the guard in order to get a good eye position.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
@Marquar

Look at the bullpup handguards from Manticore.  I have the 15in and love it, I also thought about getting the 12in but wanted the longer sight radius.

I have these paired with HK Height Troy Sights and Aimpoint Micro on CAS-V ADM mount, works awesome.

@Salvadorsshadow

Also, to answer your question on why not to shoot it left handed.  The answer I am aware of is that there have been multiple out of battery incidents that exploded Scorpions.  The bullpup kit includes a shroud for the left side but it does not provide good protection if your cheek is planted on the right.

Also, I can tell you that the kit is not compatible with MI rails. The MLOK slots are off by a half length.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#8]
@brifol6111

Once it gets out of jail, I'm going to add a Wolfman suppressor to it. I'll SBR it as well, probably with an 8 or 10 inch barrel, which puts the end well inside the handguard. The Manticore handguard has a smaller inner diameter than the stock one and won't fit the Wolfman.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top