Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 2/19/2020 4:07:05 AM EDT
I thought out of all the conversions this was the worst one to have. A married Sear. In my opinion that gun should be 14 to $15,000 tops.
I'd give a little more if it was a regular lower where you could swap uppers easily. But damn it's an sp1 basically.
Hell for $21,000. If you looked hard enough, you could probably find a Colt 614.
At least the guy explains what he has. I hope some newbie doesn't get burned......

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16651-wts-fleming-m16-conversion-sear-gun-9mm-21k-obo/

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
So this is a gun where a registered Fleming sear was mated to Colt lower?

So if the sear is the registered item, what makes the gun a less desirable one?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Why is this an issue?  Seems the lower can be configured to anything you want as it is the registered component.  Only issue I see is it is registered in 9MM.  Not sure how difficult it is or important to have multiple calibers on the Form to use it with 223.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So this is a gun where a registered Fleming sear was mated to Colt lower?

So if the sear is the registered item, what makes the gun a less desirable one?
View Quote
well is unlikely, if the seer becomes damaged you cannot replace it.

and technically that Gun," the host" is an unregistered Machine Gun.

And while the ATF doesn't care about it right now they could change their mind at any time
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is this an issue?

See what I posted above about having an unregistered host

Seems the lower can be configured to anything you want as it is the registered component.

Only issue I see is it is registered in 9MM.  Not sure how difficult it is or important to have multiple calibers on the Form to use it with 223.

It is a non-issue, you only have to change the designation if you're making a permanent change.

And 20 years down the road that form has to match or else it will be kicked back
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The challenge with this gun is the way it was registered via a factory auto-sear which is now married to the Colt Sporter AR15 host as it milled and drilled for a factory auto sear.

Technically according to the federal definition of a machinegun at the time is below.

Machinegun

The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

So its pretty clear that a machinegun spec receiver is a machinegun, even if its stripped of all other parts.

There is then the portion that states any "any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun"

The first section is "any part designed and intended solely and exclusively" clearly covers items like Lighting Links that were designed specifically to drop in and convert a non-machinegun into a machinegun.

The second section "or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun" seems to cover stuff like M2 conversion parts where having possession of all "7" unrestricted M2 carbine full auto conversion parts, effectively means you have a machinegun as they in exclusive combination together are designed to drop into an unmodified non-machinegun receiver in order to make a machinegun.

So the question comes down to whether a factory full auto sear "spare part", which won't fit into a non-machinegun receiver, also falls into either of the latter machinegun conversion part categories and ever met the definition of machinegun and should have been legally eligible for registration.

The ATF has historically taken the position (and specifically with Fleming Firearms in the past) that individual factory full auto "spare parts" which are not designed to convert a non-machinegun into a machinegun as the receiver of a non-machinegun has to be modified in order to accept and use them.  Which basically means the receiver is the machinegun, not the spare part that fits into it.  Given that M16 auto sears are freely sold today online, they obviously don't autonomously meet the definition of a machinegun today either.

Fleming got away with registering factory M16 autosears, Uzi sears, and AK sears and installing them for a period of time before the ATF most infamously put a halt to post 86 conversions of AK pattern receivers using his cache of pre-86 registered factory AK auto-sears which required milling/drilling AK receivers to install.

So there is always this cloud of legal doubt hanging over these guns where an agency with a history of political agendas and notorious reputation of "flip/flopping" legal opinions could one day come after these guns and it would be difficult for the owners to defend given how the legal definition of machinegun is defined.  Personally I think the risk that the ATF is ever going to come after these guns is small compared to all of the other risk of transferable machinegun ownership, but the risk is there non-the-less.  Given the NFA branch requests for pictures and paperwork matching original registrations, etc. it seems like the opportunity to get tripped up during a transfer is greater now than it was in the past.

There is also the concern that the autosear is a wear item over time and unlike a DIAS or RLL the part taking the impact of the bolt carrier can't be replaced as it wears out being the serialized "machinegun"

You also take the risk of the receiver being damaged and being unable to be replaced with a new lower since you can't legally mill a replacement receiver to accept this sear.

So in the pecking order of M16 conversions this one is potentially even worse than a traditional married DIAS gun as at least you can replace the trip on the married DIAS.  Granted, in reality I would assume that if this registered sear was significantly damaged somebody could "repair it" with an vibratory engraving pen.

Historically married sear guns like this are toward the bottom of the transferable pricing pecking order due to all the issues/concerns outlined above.    I am sure this gun will make somebody a good shooter but I would balk paying $20K for this specific gun when I could get a converted/registered SP1 for less.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the explanation.  I understand the issue(s).
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
That’s a great explanation of the intricacies of what you might come across. I always assumed if the item matches the paperwork everything is in order.  I wouldn’t buy something like this without seeing the Form 4 with stamp affixed.  I guess even then, without knowing the history of potential oddities there is still some small risk later in time, even if it just means a smaller pool of potential buyers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a married DIAS colt  that just went for 27k on GB.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Frank sold a married DIAS Bushmaster last week for 18K and that ad lasted a day. Those I think could later be divorced with some legwork on the new owners part in my opinion. Hell, I was seriously considering calling him about it and I saw it sold.
This kinda just has too many issues and I really appreciate jbntex pointing out & explaining the problems above. On top of that 9 mm uppers are notorious for being abusive to the lowers. I've heard of breaking hammer pins and elongated trigger and Hammer pinholes.
I did see the ad today and the guy lowered it to $19,500
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#10]
If what the sellers says is true, that is not a married sear gun but a registered receiver.

But I highly doubt that gun is what the seller says it is.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 12:05:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Speaking of non married sears, anyone know how many non married RDIAS' Fleming made?

Most posts about types and makers never mention him making M16 sears.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top