Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2021 3:05:05 PM EDT
I put together this cheap savage 93 minimalist 22mag.  $279 for the rifle and $120 for the Nikon rimfire 4x12. Factory threaded and lightweight.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  Not a ton of reviews out there for them.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 22LR version. Primary use will be for the grandson when he comes to visit. I haven't tried for any meaningful groups yet,   but it seems to work fine for banging steel out to about 75 yards so far. I don't love the mags .  But I probably need more practice with them.   I like the way it fits.  I love the looks.  I would like one in 17 as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured I wanted 22mag since I already have some ammo and have a few bolt action 22lr.  I guess it also helps that I found a 22mag in stock haha!  I love how it feels and is really light weight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is 17hmr is very accurate and handles well. Magazines suck, it’s a glorified single shot. Trigger is good.

Bought it for the threaded barrel and 17hmr. Definitely hammers the groundhogs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is 17hmr is very accurate and handles well. Magazines suck, it’s a glorified single shot. Trigger is good.

Bought it for the threaded barrel and 17hmr. Definitely hammers the groundhogs.
View Quote

I’ll probably get the 17hmr when I find some ammo for it.  Hopefully I can fiddle with the mags and make them work.  I’ve heard 5rds in a 10rd mag work well.  I’ll have to see.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Call me crazy but what was the point of calling it a "minimalist" other than shaving a maybe a pound off the laminated stock?  

When I saw "minimalist" I was thinking something along the lines of a much lighter weight version....I was excited for a minute.

Granted a Ruger American Rimfire Compact (threaded) in .22 magnum is not near as handsome but comes-in a ounce lighter with a flush-fit 9-round mag. As a shooter I'm not saying one is better than the other but the RARc seems to have a lot more going for it at the same price point....Well, other than it's looks.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Call me crazy but what was the point of calling it a "minimalist" other than shaving a maybe a pound off the laminated stock?  

When I saw "minimalist" I was thinking something along the lines of a much lighter weight version....I was excited for a minute.

Granted a Ruger American Rimfire Compact (threaded) in .22 magnum is not near as handsome but comes-in a ounce lighter with a flush-fit 9-round mag. As a shooter I'm not saying one is better than the other but the RARc seems to have a lot more going for it at the same price point....Well, other than it's looks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/rr_001__2__JPG-1959264.JPG

View Quote

I bet the ruger also works as a repeater too...

I would have definitely bought one if they’d actually make it to stores. Pretty sure they have threaded barrels. The tang safety is also nice, because I often inadvertently put the savage on safe when cycling the bolt.

As noted, definitely not as good looking.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would have definitely bought one if they’d actually make it to stores. Pretty sure they have threaded barrels. The tang safety is also nice, because I often inadvertently put the savage on safe when cycling the bolt.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/rr_001__2__JPG-1959264.JPG

I can't say about availability. I bought it lightly used at a pawn shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top