Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2023 6:48:23 PM EDT
I have a question

I inherited this 22.r rifle from my FIL

There are two threaded holes in the left rear of the receiver.  The front hole is larger than the rear, both have screws

I assume these are filler screws (I Can't remember the proper term)

Are these holes factory drilled and tapped for scope mount?

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
No telling. Mine doesn't have them, to my knowledge they didn't come that way. Somebody did it later for some type of mount. Mine is circa 48'
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No telling. Mine doesn't have them, to my knowledge they didn't come that way. Somebody did it later for some type of mount. Mine is circa 48'
View Quote

Interesting, watching videos and seeing pics and posts some did come factory with the holes, At least I think so.  The history is a bit murky.

Given the history of this rifle, I doubt they had it D&T, but you never know

Mine is pre-date code so 45-48 based on my research

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Don’t know if factory or not but I recall we had one of these rifles when I was a kid and it had a peep sight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quote:

Savage model 6A/Stevens model 87A rear peep sight.
Jump to Latest
Follow
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
C
CharlesC
·
Registered
Joined Apr 16, 2002 · 637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · Feb 12, 2003

A question in a thread further down asked what the holes in the rear of the receiver were for. They are for a WFC Co No. 150 peep sight. I found one at a gun show and have it mounted on my Savage 6A. The peep sight and corresponding front globe sight make it a model 6S. I don't have the globe front sight, I machined a taller front blade sight to work with the No. 150 rear peep. It's a strange sight. It has a sheet metal mount the extends to the rear where it splits into a pair of ears sticking out to the left. In these ears is a knurlled and numbered thumbwheel that raises and lowers an "L" shaped piece that goes across the receiver and has a slot in it for the "rolling aperture that's geared to the slot and has a knurlled locking knob on it's backside. Truely a different sight.
Charles/NM:)

And another thread on the rear sight:

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/stevens-87a-questions.841314/

WFC 150 for sale:

https://www.harrygym.shop/product/wfc-co-no-150-peep-sight-savage-stevens-736413895769456641.html

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don’t know if factory or not but I recall we had one of these rifles when I was a kid and it had a peep sight.
View Quote

That's what mine has. But also not sure if added  after or not.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Minimike nailed it, it's factory drilled holes for a factory rear peep.
Not a scope mount.
My 87B doesn't have any holes here or dovetail grooves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top