Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2019 12:51:00 AM EDT
Started as a Hog Hunter in .223, shot fine and extracted steel and brass with no problems. Rifle was rebarreled to .300 Blackout with a prefit, headspaced with Forster gauges. The gauges extract just fine, especially after the extractor was replaced with a brand new one and the extractor detent with a .140" ball. With a dummy round (S&B new brass, 147gr pulled bullet) the bolt doesn't extract at all and the dummy has top be tapped out with a wooden dowel. To be specific, almost any pressure at all on the dowel, even just letting the dowel drop an inch pops the dummy loose. Pulled it all back out of the chassis, checked screws and rechecked headspace. Again, the go gauge extracts with no issues, the dummy doesn't. As far as i can tell it seems like maybe the bolt isn't grabbing the case head at all?

What did I screw up?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Disregard, not my screw up. I just mic'd the shoulder on the S&B brass and it's too short. The Savage, not having a controlled feed, it clearly kicking the dummy too deep in the chamber for the bolt to grab it. I tried with a Remington 220gr OTM with a proper shoulder (mic's in spec, visibly the shoulder is higher and sharper) and boom, extracted with no issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top