Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2018 9:47:25 PM EDT
I bought a Savage 99F  in .308 from my neighbor tonight.  Serial number looks like it was manufactured in 1966.

Wood is flawless, bluing is 98% at the very worst.

So I know very little about these guns.  Read enough about them to know I should buy it when he offered it, but other than that....what do I need to know.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You put boolits in it and hunt. What else is there to know?

My dad gave me a 99e in 243. I tried it out at the range. Accuracy was acceptable but I like better. I carried it hunting one time but I've got better options. They are nice guns, well made but mehhhh... They do have there fans and if you got it a good price then it is probably a good investment.

Does yours take mags or is it an internal mag? Mags can be hard to come by and it's easy to hit that button dropping it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is a 99 C series A.  Great little gun has accounted for it's share of deer.
Magazine's aren't exactly rare but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on Numerick and gun broker for a spare or two.
I've a 2.5 Bushnell Banner on mine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has the integral rotary magazine.

The only thing missing is the rear sight, my neighbor thinks he has it boxed away somewhere, but I ordered a replacement off Numrich just to be sure I would have one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought a Savage 99F  in .308 from my neighbor tonight.  Serial number looks like it was manufactured in 1966.

Wood is flawless, bluing is 98% at the very worst.

So I know very little about these guns.  Read enough about them to know I should buy it when he offered it, but other than that....what do I need to know.
View Quote
I have one that's very similar, also in 308.  mines a pre million serial, lever safety think it was the 2nd year the 308 was made.  I like the f as its lighter, mine is around 8.2 lbs with scope and rings, supposed to weigh 7 lbs stock.  Mine shoots really well with loads it likes but it is a bit more picky than most my bolts. For some reason it likes core lokts in both 150 and 180s
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top