Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2018 8:32:30 PM EDT
Given the small and awkward 'shoulder' of the 300 Blackout case, I wanted a sanity check to ensure my measurements are sound.  I think they are, just want a second opinion

I'm testing headspace using the Hornady Comparator set with the "B" insert

Factory S&B 147gr FMJ - Pulled 5 rounds from a factory box and they all measured/rounded to 1.059"

I picked through some fire formed brass that I shot over the weekend and grabbed 5 cases that hadn't been squished/stepped on, and those measurements came to:
1.078"
1.077"
1.077"
1.078"
1.077"

I was going to resize them back to 1.074"

These were fired from a home built upper - Aero receiver, BA barrel, and a BCG from DSG Arms (Unsure on brand)

My measurements all were consistent, so I'm think I'm OK but the very small shoulder of the 300 gave me pause to verify with some of you.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Two 300 Blackout uppers from the same manufacturer, not yours, and using the Hornady Headspace Gauge if I size to 1.077" the cases will just barely chamber and tight. Fired cases are about the same 1.077" so at this length I'm not pushing shoulders back little or none. Ruger Ranch rifle bolt action is tight to chamber at 1.073". So I size to 1.073" plus nothing minus one or two for the AR chambers and bolt action.  No problems sizing shoulders 4-5 thousandths less. Couple factory roumds I gauged were 1.068"- 1.069". Your S&B factory cases are pretty short. Seems 300 BLK chambers vary a bit from one rifle to the next?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top