Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2023 11:24:00 PM EDT
I got super excited at release about the new S&W M&P 5.7 and bought one the day after my LGS got them in. I have had a SilencerCo Sparrow for about a year and have only used it mostly on a 22/45 pistol with around a 500 rouind count and a few mags thought a 10/22 rifle. Since its rated for the 5.7 I gave it a whirl today. I shot two boxes of FN 195 ammo and one box of fiocci. The first mag was unsuppressed and all subsequent shots are with the Sparrow. I did a thorough inspection after the first mag and all was well with suppressor and gun. Shot up the rest of the ammo with no ill effects and then while cooling down and collecting brass noticed that it looks like the muzzle cap of the suppressor had popped off and then gotten struck by a bullet. The gun functioned fine the whole time and there was no singular instance that would indicate it happening. But I'm also a novice with suppressor use and this is my first unfortunate incident. Thoughts? The S&W is gas operated which might yield different pressure curves than blowback guns I guess? I'm gonna call SilencerCo tomorrow and see what they say but thought I'd check in with the hive as well.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Silencer walked off is my guess. I’m sure Silencerco will take care of you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
You can take it down yourself (that's the idea!) And see if the tube threads are bad or if the monocore was nicked.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Silencer walked off is my guess. I’m sure Silencerco will take care of you.
View Quote

I grabbed and torque tested with a shop towel while it was still hot AF and again bare handed when cold and it was tight as a drum both times.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can take it down yourself (that's the idea!) And see if the tube threads are bad or if the monocore was nicked.
View Quote

The tube body feels intact and undeformed but I'll check with a mic tomorrow. Don't want to mess with disassembly before talking to the mfg.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
It’s a good idea to run both kinds of ammo (or any new, untried ammo) without a suppressor and check target for nice round holes. Usually not needed for supersonic ammo, but with a new unproven gun/barrel worth doing.

The S&W 5.7 does some sort of rotational unlocking.  IIRC RUGER had a similar action (rimfire maybe) that didn’t play well with suppressors. That host is so new speculation is all I’ve got.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#6]
The threaded part of the barrel isn’t really the barrel, it just a sleeve. The barrel sits within the sleeve and rotates and reciprocates while the threaded sleeve remains stationary. The barrel sits in the sleeve similar to a barrel in a standard semi auto slide which is to say, not perfectly concentric to the slide opening or in the case of the 5.7, the sleeve.  It’s a bit like trying to attaching a suppressor to the slide of a normal semi auto and not the barrel.

While I didn’t have baffle or end cap strikes with mine, I did experience very poor accuracy with a can attached. An alignment rod confirmed the issue. I don’t think the S&W design is conducive to suppressed use.  It shoots fine without a can though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...Shot up the rest of the ammo with no ill effects and then while cooling down and collecting brass noticed that it looks like the muzzle cap of the suppressor had popped off and then gotten struck by a bullet...
View Quote

That's the baffle stack itself.  The endcap of the Sparrow is part of the monocore.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's the baffle stack itself.  The endcap of the Sparrow is part of the monocore.
View Quote

Well that sucks. SilencerCo customer service told me to ship it to them as-is so it's boxed up and going to UPS tomorrow. This sucks because the combo was fun as shit to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Wow damn
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Yikes. Hope this doesn’t become a trend. S&W might have screwed the pooch putting the threads on the sleeve.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:Yikes. Hope this doesn’t become a trend. S&W might have screwed the pooch putting the threads on the sleeve.
View Quote

From the review videos it looks like there's very little to no play between the barrel and sleeve.  Did you check alignment with a quality alignment rod?
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From the review videos it looks like there's very little to no play between the barrel and sleeve.  Did you check alignment with a quality alignment rod?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Yikes. Hope this doesn’t become a trend. S&W might have screwed the pooch putting the threads on the sleeve.

That shit is for suckers
Build it right, S&w
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m curious what the issue is. Threads not concentric to bore on the outer sleeve thingy?

I just ordered one of these fuckin things. Not sure which can I was going to put on it though. Maybe the mask? But I am definitely planning to suppress it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’m curious what the issue is. Threads not concentric to bore on the outer sleeve thingy?

I just ordered one of these fuckin things. Not sure which can I was going to put on it though. Maybe the mask? But I am definitely planning to suppress it.
View Quote

Take video
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Well that sucks.  Guess I'll go with the PSA Rock.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I like my PSA Rock with a NYX on it. What I like even more is that my wife likes it and wants to shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yikes. Hope this doesn’t become a trend. S&W might have screwed the pooch putting the threads on the sleeve.
View Quote

The M&P design and resulting strikes in rimfire cans  influenced my decision to run a larger .31" bore in our 5.7 specific can.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#19]

That thread's a mess, he says the internal threads separated a few times, but doesn't ever address the critical question of whether there was a baffle strike...
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes but it was cold and hadn’t been fired yet when I checked it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The threaded part of the barrel isn’t really the barrel, it just a sleeve. The barrel sits within the sleeve and rotates and reciprocates while the threaded sleeve remains stationary. The barrel sits in the sleeve similar to a barrel in a standard semi auto slide which is to say, not perfectly concentric to the slide opening or in the case of the 5.7, the sleeve.  It’s a bit like trying to attaching a suppressor to the slide of a normal semi auto and not the barrel.

While I didn’t have baffle or end cap strikes with mine, I did experience very poor accuracy with a can attached. An alignment rod confirmed the issue. I don’t think the S&W design is conducive to suppressed use.  It shoots fine without a can though.
View Quote

I had a similar issue yesterday. Had a Mask on it, which I’ve never had any problems with.

Shooting groups of 3 (from like 10 yards, from a tripod, just trying to get on paper to zero the red dot), the first shot would go pretty much where I aimed it. The subsequent two shots would be about 12” high, and 1-2” left, and the high-left ones looked like they were starting to keyhole.

I have not attempted to run the gun without a can yet. I didn’t have time. I’ll try that next time I can make it out there.

This pisses me off. I wanted this gun to run a can on it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I ordered an Ecco Caracal. Hopefully the slightly increased bore size solves this problem. Otherwise I’m getting a different host.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I ordered an Ecco Caracal. Hopefully the slightly increased bore size solves this problem. Otherwise I’m getting a different host.
View Quote

That’s my next can
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Got my can back from SilencerCo with zero contact after they gave me the RMA #. Good customer service and no charge but I’d be curious to hear their thoughts on the cause. Guess I’ll order a 9mm can for this platform. Recommendations?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top