Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2020 1:54:32 PM EDT
I have a standard M&P 15/22 that has an el cheapo red dot on it now and I want to put on something with magnification.

I already have a dedicated .22lr on an AR lower in a pistol format (12" barrel) that has a romeo 4 on it.

Any suggestions for a decently priced optic (preferably low weight) for the M&P?

many thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#1]
what is the purpose?  Steel matches?  Plinking?  3 gun training?  squirrel hunting?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Primary Arms LPVO w/ .22LR BDC reticle

I am considering this for a 10/22 build of mine that I would like magnification. CUrrently out of stock though.

Some pros is 1-6 Magnification, Illumination, BDC and ranging capabilities. It will add some weight, but not as much at 8x+ magnification.  But won't be light like a RDS.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what is the purpose?  Steel matches?  Plinking?  3 gun training?  squirrel hunting?
View Quote

My daughter and I shoot steel, but my 54 year old eyes cannot keep up with her young eyes and lightweight browning on the dueling tree!
I also want something accurate enough to pop the occasional squirrel When needed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My daughter and I shoot steel, but my 54 year old eyes cannot keep up with her young eyes and lightweight browning on the dueling tree!
I also want something accurate enough to pop the occasional squirrel When needed.
View Quote

Well you need something that goes down to 1X.  I tried a 2X7 for steel matches and it was not so good.

I would probably pick up a a 1-4 or 1-5, if you want magnification.  Personally a prism or red dot is likely just as effective for shooting, but you cannot zoom in to see target. I use a Vortex spitfire 1X on mine for steel.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I have a 3-9 Nikon Rimfire on my M&P15-22 but if you're shooting steel matches with it I agree with the others about a 1X - 4,6,8 LPVO.  I've never researched them by weight so can't help you there.  My only experience with LPVO's is with Vortex and Leupold.  The Vortex Strike Eagles are very good optics for the money and you can't beat the warranty.  My Leupold was far more expensive but a great optic.  

If I had the money I'd get a Vortex Razor but that's way overkill for a M&P15-22.  I'd suggest looking at the Strike Eagles and combining it with a lightweight mount.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I went from a Holosun red dot to a PA 1x6 acss in .22lr and it is an amazing optic for this platform.  I love red dots but the m&p15-22 is so light the lpvo isn’t overly heavy at all and balances very well.  Anyway, there is my $.02.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
well, I was rooting around in my parts boxes in the garage and came across a Millett 1x4x24. It's a little heavier than I'd like but the plastic M&P is pretty light to begin with so I think I'll use that.

I've recently had shoulder surgery so anything heavy is pretty much out for a while until I regain the strength. Doesn't stop my daughter from taking me to school on the plates tho! LOL....
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
How about a Holosun red dot and matching magnifier? In these times of ammo scarcity and crazy pricesI plan on using my 15-22 as a trainer to offset my 5.56 AR, so I'm using the same optics for both.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I just run a cheap bushnell TRS25 but I'm just plinking. I have that PA acss 22lr optic previously mentioned on a 10/22 which l also like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top