Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2020 6:13:46 AM EDT
So I just picked up a Remington 870 and Mossberg 590A1. The Remington has a +3 mag extension and came with a stainless steel Brownells follower. I added the +3 mag extension. The Brownells follower hasn't given me any issues, I just want to switch to a high viz. The mossberg is the factory 20" barrel so it is the 8+1 model. It currently has the factory follower. Also just want to swap to a hi viz. I've come across the 2 following options that caught my eye the most, Phase 5 and S&J hardware. Does anyone have experience with either and could recommend one over the other or a different brand I haven't seen yet? I'll link both of them below. Thanks for any help and suggestions!!

https://sjhardware.us/product/remington-870-type-2-follower/

https://phase5wsi.com/low-drag-high-visibility-12-gauge-shotgun-follower-12gsf.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on what you want to do, but I went with the S&J follower. I like the Delrin because of it's slick properties, somewhat like Teflon. The Phase 5 follower is made from 7075 aluminum, and when anodized will have a very hard surface, it may need a little lubrication. I am drawn to the machined aluminum over the plastic, because I like machined metal. The Phase 5 is made in the USA, if you need that, and it is not that much more money. The S&J is priced in Canadian dollars, which are less  than USA $. Neither is bad or wrong.  I guess the decision is yours to make.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
I don't understand the fever over custom followers. I admit I'm in the "If it aint broke, don't fix it!" camp though. I've never seen a follower malfunction that would have been prevented with a custom follower. 
As far as high visibility goes, degrease the factory one with acetone and paint the recessed center portion of the follower with loud fingernail polish in your desired color.
What these followers seem to do best is separating folks from their money.
View Quote

I have wasted a lot of money on shotgun parts but I agree 100% on this. What does a new follower do better than a factory one?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a Phase 5, in blue. Overall it's really nice, but cant comment on the other one. Put it in a 500 I was rebuilding and coupled it with a Wolff magazine spring since the old one was original and many many years old.

Havent shot with it yet, but did test cycle it. Functions perfectly, but then again, the old spring / follower worked too. I do like the very bright blue color vs the stock black one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
I don't understand the fever over custom followers. I admit I'm in the "If it aint broke, don't fix it!" camp though. I've never seen a follower malfunction that would have been prevented with a custom follower. 
As far as high visibility goes, degrease the factory one with acetone and paint the recessed center portion of the follower with loud fingernail polish in your desired color.
What these followers seem to do best is separating folks from their money.
View Quote

This.

Now an extra power mag spring... I might have to get one soon for my 590, it's getting very lackadaisical in spitting out the last shell.

I guess a shorter aftermarket follower could result in a +1 when using the cheap shells. Really just restoring the full capacity.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
While I've never had a metal follower, the S&J follower is very slick. Between a ScattergunTech and S&J, I like the S&J more.  The finish on the SGT follower is more rough, vs the S&J high polished finish.

I can't say if its any better, but the S&J certainly feels smooth when loading.  Not that is does loading/unloading any better than any other follower.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't understand the fever over custom followers. I admit I'm in the "If it aint broke, don't fix it!" camp though. I've never seen a follower malfunction that would have been prevented with a custom follower.
As far as high visibility goes, degrease the factory one with acetone and paint the recessed center portion of the follower with loud fingernail polish in your desired color.
What these followers seem to do best is separating folks from their money.
View Quote

One notable exception...

The thin, cheap plastic followers that Remington uses in the 1100/11-87 shotguns can wear to the point that they protrude into the receiver and hang up the Interceptor latch. If you run into a 1100 or 11-87 on which the bolt is hard to open when the mag tube is empty check to see if the tip of the Interceptor is contacting the follower. I have replaced a box full of these factory followers on well used hunting guns.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Give the option I choose Delrin.  I have the S&J in my 590 and Shockwave.  No complaints on either.  All Mossbergs get the S&J and a Wolff Spring.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I tried a few in my 590.  I realized the factory is the best option to keep the full capacity of the shells available.

Take it out tape off the sides and paint it candy apple red.  That's what I did to mine.  I highly recommend.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an S&J in my 12 ga and 20 ga 870s. Zero complaints, and delrin certainly slicker and much sturdier than the flimsy OEM followers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Do you lose a round when using the S&J follower in a Mossberg shockwave?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you lose a round when using the S&J follower in a Mossberg shockwave?
View Quote

Yes but only with roll crimped 00Buck like Estate.  It's roughly 1/8" longer than normal star croimp.  With normal star crimp like Fed Flite Control it's normal capacity.

This is the one I used in the Shockwave so the spring sits closer to it whereas the one for the 20" 590 is from 8-9 years ago and is the orange one that has a plug the spring slips over like this one..  Both are using Wolff springs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want hi-viz for a Rem 870, look at a Wilson Combat follower. A lot cheaper than the option you have listed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes but only with roll crimped 00Buck like Estate.  It's roughly 1/8" longer than normal star croimp.  With normal star crimp like Fed Flite Control it's normal capacity.

View Quote

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top