Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2018 10:29:28 AM EDT
My never fired M4 should be coming pretty soon and I'm wondering if the above ammo should work for break in?

It is 36cpr but it only shows 1200fps velocity.

Would something like this Rio work instead of buckshot?

Any other inexpensive options would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#1]
It will work. They are a bit longer than most 2 3/4” shells so you may lose a round capacity in the mag tube.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool, thanks for the info!

I'm fine with losing capacity since it is just for range use.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#3]
S&B comes in 9 AND 12 pellet loads .
The 12 pellet load has an extra layer of 3 so they use a plastic disk and roll crimp instead of a star crimp that the 9 pellet load uses .
That is so the fired length is the same .

Yes it will work, although I have never "broken in" a shotgun ?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know that I need to do anything special I just have zero experience with the Benelli M4 and see all kinds of reports of it needing to be shot with full power loads (ie buckshot/slugs) before it will cycle any kind of birdshot.

If I don't need to do that then great but I just wanted something around in case I needed to do it.

Thanks for the info on the 9/12 pellet rounds!

Do either of you have any experience with that Rio load?

ETA: I live in the middle of nowhere so running out and buying a case isn't an option the day of my range trip.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine cycled Walmart 100rnd packs of 7 1/2 shot right out of the box. My first M4 did too. Try it before you spend a bunch of money on Buck. If it won’t cycle then go buy some more stout stuff.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I'll give it a try with some 7 1/2 shot and see what happens and go from there.

I do have some buckshot and slugs around just not a full case.

Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I did stop by the local hardware store which is the only place that carries guns (they have probably 100 in stock right now).

There wasn't a single shell that had larger than #4 available and those were 3".

I have a mix of Low Recoil Rio Royal 00, some Remington slugs (full power and reduced), some Remington 00, and some S&B 00 around so I'll give it a try and see what happens.

If the S&B 00 that I have works I'll just buy a bunch of that since it is well priced.

I may get a case of that #6 Rio that I linked above though as it's pretty reasonable and I've had good experience with Rio.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've ran multiple boxes of Rio's Wing & Target 7.5 shot, Royal Buck Low Recoil 00 Buck, and Royal Star slugs through my M4 without a single issue.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes it will work, although I have never "broken in" a shotgun ?
View Quote
Its recommended for absolute reliability with light loads like bulk birdshot for the M4 that you run a hundred or a few hundred rounds of full power buckshot or slugs for "break in.". I don't know where that recommendation started, but it worked with my M4, eats walmart bulk birdshot like candy
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I ran 2 boxes of slugs through mine then switched to cheap Walmart birdshot, it’s never missed a beat.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Last weekend I shot my brand new M4 for the first time. It ran 100% with 1145 FPS birdshot.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I have shot about 2,000 rounds of S&B 9-pellet 00 Buck through various guns for testing, training and practice. It is cheap and goes bang but beyond that, it is dirty and is loaded with unbuffered, soft lead so it will leave a lot of carbon and Lead fouling in the barrel, gas system, etc. nothing that can't be cleaned up.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Report what kind of pattern you get. I've used S&B 00 I can't remember if it was 9, 12 or 15 count, but the pattern was like 30" at 15 yards. So big that most of the pellets were off the silluette. I have a bunch of it, maybe I'll try again.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Report what kind of pattern you get. I've used S&B 00 I can't remember if it was 9, 12 or 15 count, but the pattern was like 30" at 15 yards. So big that most of the pellets were off the silluette. I have a bunch of it, maybe I'll try again.
View Quote
The patterns with this load are very unpredictable (at least in my experience from my guns). Often pellets will bunch up, often there will be "holes" in center of the pattern, I often find a couple flyers. Even with a MOD choke, the pattern opens up pretty fast. Would it fuck up an evil-doer at across the room distances? Most likely but there are MUCH better loads to keep in your defensive shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The patterns with this load are very unpredictable (at least in my experience from my guns). Often pellets will bunch up, often there will be "holes" in center of the pattern, I often find a couple flyers. Even with a MOD choke, the pattern opens up pretty fast. Would it fuck up an evil-doer at across the room distances? Most likely but there are MUCH better loads to keep in your defensive shotgun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will report back what my gun does but I agree that it wouldn't be used for a HD load.

I use Federal 9-pellet 00 Buck with the FliteControl wad for HD.

I just want something that will cycle without being $1/rd for me to get some range time.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I ordered 300rds of the Rio that I linked to in my OP since it should be plenty adequate to qualify as a "full power" load for testing purposes.  I will use the buckshot and slugs that I have around for further testing to see what it like best as far as function and what it likes for best pattern.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Ya know, to be honest, I've only ever shot MAYBE 20-30 rounds of full power ammo through my gun. It's fed AA Featherweight, Fed Express 00 Buck, and everything in between. I didn't do a "break in" I just shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Rio and S&B buckshot are fine for blasting, break in, and recoil practice only.
You typically loose one shell capacity because they ar roll crimped dumb as fuck.

I wouldn’t stack deep on either for SHTF.

Although both patterned fine for me, but are nothing compared to anything with Flight Control wads. Federal Tactical HV 00B (Max Dram) or Federal Tactical Low Recoil 00B (2-3/4ish Dram)... The 9-pellet patterns tight as hell; good on a torso out to 40+ yards. Only difference is the recoil and velocity. I use the Low recoil in my pump guns and the HV in my inertia guns for better cycling (although reduced recoil has been 100% too).
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah I don't plan on feeding it this stuff forever but I just wanted something around in order to be able to shoot it *if* it doesn't like the 7 1/2 Federal Bulk Pack stuff that I have.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Wanna know something cool?

Federal Low Recoil Flight Control has about the same dram equivalency (velocity & load weight) as cheap Walmart target/clay loads. You can’t tell the difference shooting either the SHTF ammo or the cheap Walmart fodder... which makes practicing cheaply very easy. Federal low recoil is probably not the best SHTF choice for an inertia gun, but dandy in an M4
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#22]
That is interesting.  Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#23]
My M4 runs S&B bulk 00 buck just fine. It also runs bulk pack 7 1/2 or 8 shot loads really well. I just try to find the 1 1/8oz.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#24]
The Money Orders have arrived so hopefully the gun ships tomorrow.

I'm getting exited
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My M4 runs S&B bulk 00 buck just fine. It also runs bulk pack 7 1/2 or 8 shot loads really well. I just try to find the 1 1/8oz.
View Quote
It looks like I have 1000 rounds of the Federal Bulk Pack 7 1/2 shot that is 1 1/8oz.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I just picked up an M4 with about 30 rounds through it.

I have some old buckshot and slugs  ( 250 rounds) that I'm going to run after I put some heavy dove loads (1 1/8 oz)  and high brass hunting rounds  ( 1 1/4 oz) through it. I'm not expecting any problems.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Mine cycled Walmart 100rnd packs of 7 1/2 shot right out of the box. My first M4 did too. Try it before you spend a bunch of money on Buck. If it won’t cycle then go buy some more stout stuff.
View Quote
ETA: I already chimed in, must have lost my sub to the thread...
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#28]
IME s&b loads are fairly stout, especially the 12p 00 load. The 12p #1 load was up there as well.

Got some PMC slugs to try. They didn't group worth a damn in my gun, and seemed very light recoiling compared to federal and winchester.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top