Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/27/2018 9:04:54 PM EDT
I’m in need of a saltwater knife. I’ve been looking at spyderco’s Pacific and Atlantic folders.

Anything good or bad about these two? Other recommendations? School me on edc saltwater knives.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an older Pacific Salt with full serrations in H1.  It's an awesome knife and has cut up tons of bait and spent lots of time soaked in saltwater in my kayak.  It's a well used and neglected work knife and it has been flawless.  Not a spec of rust and it still has a good factory edge.

The newer versions in Lc200n are supposed to be even better.  If you are going with serrations, you would be well served with either steel.  If you are looking for a plain edge, stick with the Lc200n.

Supposedly the H1 is work hardened and does very well with serrations, but does not do well with a plain edge.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man.  I’ve been looking closer towards the pacific h1’s just wanted someone with first hand experience.

How well do they resharpen?  I primarily sharpen my blades on a diamond stone, wet stone. All painstakingly of course, haha.

ETA: all my time spent is kayak fishing, surf fishing, or crabbing. I’m in the low country of SC.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I used the Pacific Salt last summer for almost two weeks down in the Florida Keys.  We lived in and around the water; a lot of kayaking, swimming, and snorkeling.  I had to cut into a sponge a little, and dug out a big crab...the blade handled the abuse very well.  The edge needed attention after that one day, but I used a flat DMT sharpener and it cleaned up perfectly.  The H1 steel seems a little softer so it doesn't chip and zero issues being in and around water for several days.  Once I got it home it didn't take any longer than other knives to get a razor's edge on it.  Good blade.  I really liked the size of folder and it worked well in the pocket or clipped directly to my swim suit/IWB.  Never had a concern for it falling off an we beat through some rough currents and waves at times.

I'm actually considering getting the H1 Dragonfly Salt for backpacking when home.  Our longer trips are in the summer and the heat/humidity keep my clothes soaked pretty much all day in salty-sweat.  I've had spots of rust on a few "stainless" blades and I'm considering the Dragonfly Salt for more resistance.  It's not used a ton, but it's carried in my pants/shorts pocket and it's wet all day.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had an H1 Pacific Salt for about 12 years or so now. Lots of fishing, hunting, and rainy days without a spot of corrosion. I do mostly saltwater fishing, and a good amount of seashore hunting for waterfowl, it's my go-to knife for all that. Sharpens easily for someone lazy like me, so a meticulous sharpener like you will have no problems. Holds a good edge as well. You'll be happy with it, especially since you won't be ruining your knife in less than ideal environments.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#5]
No problem other than softer steel with my spyderco h1
It's to be expected tho..
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No problem other than softer steel with my spyderco h1
It's to be expected tho..
View Quote
Yup, it sharpens easy enough but needs it if it's used.

Mine spent several years in my pocket as a commercial fisherman. Zero rust. That includes many trips into the water
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Benchmade Griptilan H20. All stainless hardware and an N680 blade. They come standard with orange scales but I replaced mine with the neon yellow.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The new spyderco Caribbean.  2 blade designs, 2 different edges, you get 4 choices. Sheepsfoot plain edge is my pre-order. Should be here any day since they are out now. LC200N steel is close to the king of the hill in rust proof steel.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The new spyderco Caribbean.  2 blade designs, 2 different edges, you get 4 choices. Sheepsfoot plain edge is my pre-order. Should be here any day since they are out now. LC200N steel is close to the king of the hill in rust proof steel.
View Quote
Pics?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm late to this thread but ill just say I've been carrying Spyderco's for about 10 years and I love them.  super solid lockup, good materials, great function.  maybe not the 'coolest' knives out there but great tools.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top