Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/7/2018 7:38:39 PM EDT
I have a 60" tall safe that I'm keeping my AR-50 in right now but it's a royal PITA to get it in and out.  Not to mention the inconvenience of having a rifle like that mixed in with "normal" rifles.  I'm looking for a single purpose safe that will hold the 50 without the footprint of a standard safe.  What are ya'll using?
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the layout is the key. I have my ar50 on the front row and all the way to the right (hinge side). I keep all my shotguns over there so its basically where all the long guns stay. Ar's & Ak's go on the left. Most bolt guns in the back.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Previous AR50 owner here and understand your pain. As others have noted...it' needs to be in the front row if you're shelf above has a cutout for the barrel/brake or no shelf exists. Manuevering it around other weapons will leave scars on the others and annoy you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]
My top shelf does have a cut out in it so I have to maneuver the brake through it and then lift and tilt the rifle at the same time when inserting into the safe and that is a real hassle.  The top shelf extends all the way to the door so I'm forced to go through the cutout with much difficulty.  I have to cover the other rifles every time I want to get the 50 in and out in case I slip.  I have left the 50 in the safe on several occasions instead of taking it to the range just because I didn't feel like going through the in and out fuss.  Losing the top shelf isn't an option since it's where I have most of my handguns.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I remove the stock on mine, and cut a hole in safes top shelf. Fits perfectly.

I'm adding a concrete gun room to my garage next spring, I will hang everything on the walls then.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I got tired of screwing around with them and bought a dedicated safe.

https://rhinosafe.com/kodiak-k7136ex-so-71h-x-36w-x-24d-36-long-gun-60-min/

Local farm store had it on display for awhile,and gave me a heck of a deal to take it (manager said it was the first one they sold around here and weren't going to get another one).

Sounds like you don't want another safe,BUT,it's worth it for what you have invested,imo.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top