Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2023 2:19:43 PM EDT
I’m considering getting a second, smaller safe to go in an upstairs closet for immediate access to a few items and would appreciate some feedback. I’d like to have a few firearms (and documents, valuables) more readily available but secure from kids and casual visitors (i.e. nosy family members), vs. what’s kept in the main safe downstairs. I’m considering this smaller AMSEC model:

AMSEC TF5924E5 TF Gun Safe

I understand that the floor in any newer, quality home should be able to support the weight (388 lbs empty) without issue. With the safe being only 22” wide, it seems like it might be a good idea to located the joists and have it sit across two of them. However, I’m used to bolting a safe to a concrete floor, and I’m guessing there’s no real way to do that with a wood floor, unless the holes aligned with the joists? Ultimately I know this safe would just be a deterrent to a serious intruder and is more for ensuring that I can keep several firearms relatively secure upstairs and guard against more casual “smash and grab” intrusion.

Closet unfortunately don’t have power outlets (normally) or great lighting, so I’d probably have to add battery-powered LEDs inside. Our closets are also carpeted, which I don’t think is ideal for setting a narrow, tall safe on top of. I don’t think it will tip over but am a little concerned about it sitting level.

Is this overkill or not worth the expense and trouble? I had been considering a V-Line in-wall rifle cabinet but don’t feel great about the thin door that can be pried open. Thanks for any feedback you all can offer!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 3:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It's definitely not overkill but also not the best option for the price. The TF safes are 3/16" steel door and 14 gauge body which can still be pried open. I also don't really recommend the ESL5 lock. The Browning Sporter 20 or Stealth UL23 would be a great alternative with full 12 gauge steel construction. This website has a lot of really great information that I would recommend you read before your purchase to make sure you get the right safe for you. https://www.expertsafereviews.com/top-3-best-gun-safes-under-1600/
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot for the feedback and link, that was very educational. I'll definitely look into those options. I like the case he makes for the Browning Sporter. For a little more background, one reason I'm considering getting an additional safe is that I just found out that our military move contract allows for one safe to be moved without counting against our authorized weight limit... as long as the safe is no more than 500 lbs. That would allow me to have this second safe moved for free, and placed wherever I want in the next house. Unfortunately the Browning specs say that it weights 520 lbs, just over the limit. It looks like they only offer one size in the Sporter model, so I'll have to do some research to see if they make a slightly smaller safe with the same specs, or I'll need to look at one of the other two he reviewed, since those come it under or right at the weight limit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1000lb BF6030 in an upstairs closet, filled full.  No problems.
I did hire a professional safe mover team to get it up there.

I wired in a new outlet for it.  Pretty easy to tap off from the outlet in the hallway on the other side of the closet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top