Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2020 9:11:23 PM EDT
I just purchased the Liberty USA series 30 gun safe and will be putting it in my garage. Being in North Texas it get pretty warm in the summer. Is there anything I should add or put in the safe to protect guns and whatever else I put in there?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. These are used on off shore oil rigs to protect tools and other metal equipment stored in cabinets.
Attachment Attached File

And mine are covered up with drop cloths so they don't draw attention.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Bolt it down good.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hapjack:
Bolt it down good.
View Quote

and get a dehumidifier
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep it out of site from the street.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ll look into all that. Thanks for the info.

I’ve heard of guys building some kind of cabinet around them. I’ll prob throw some kind of cover over it tho
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a new Lincoln 25 from NW Safe.  If you are getting a new Lincoln safe it will come with a dehumidifier and interior lights installed if you didn't know that already.  I had an extra hydrometer so I put that in the safe to monitor temperature and humidity.  Another option i put in there is this:

BullFrog 13219 Bull Frog 91321 Rust Blocker Emitter Shield

Even though I have the safe in the house, I still am getting a Liberty safe cover.  Enjoy your new safe.  I am happy I got mine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Cut a horse stall mat about 1" larger than the safe footprint. Bolt the safe down with the mat between it and the floor, it does a couple of things-
It gets the safe up off of the concrete floor.
It will make a prying attack extremely difficult, you cant get a bar underneath the mat and if you get it between the safe and the mat it just pops out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Cut a horse stall mat about 1" larger than the safe footprint. Bolt the safe down with the mat between it and the floor, it does a couple of things-
It gets the safe up off of the concrete floor.
It will make a prying attack extremely difficult, you cant get a bar underneath the mat and if you get it between the safe and the mat it just pops out.

If you can find an old refrigerator or freezer that will fit over the safe gut it and camouflage the safe.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Liberty makes nice safe covers in all sizes:
Liberty Safe Cover Up and Protector - Conceal Gun Safe from Sight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0783ZSDYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AVgUEbAKQ6JCR

And I’ve heard anything rubber can absorb moisture, I put my safe in my garage on some Drycore subflooring tiles cut to fit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DRICORE-Subfloor-Membrane-Panel-3-4-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-Oriented-Strand-Board-FG10006/202268752

Also, if there’s an access whole in the back you may like this led light kit, works great in mine:

TORCHSTAR LED Safe Lighting Kit, (6) 12’’ Linkable Light Bars + Rocker Switch + Power Adapter, Under Cabinet Lighting, Locker, Closet, Shelf, Showcase Lighting, 5000K Daylight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FDAET80/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XrhUEb6XSK91S

In fact, if your safe doesn’t come with an outlet inside you may want one of these to run your Goldenrod and light kit. Your dealer may install it for you if you haven’t taken delivery of it yet:

Liberty Safe Power Outlet Kit for Interior Safe Accessories with USB and Ethernet for Dehumidifiers and Lights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KRJTJ0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wChUEbDXK02XS
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm in So Texas.  High heat and humidity.  Had mine in the garage for about 10 years now.  I only have a golden rod / Dry rod - a long one.  Never had the first issue with any kind of rust.  

I moved about 2 years ago and I've had the safe directly on the concrete since I got it.  I expected to see rust on the bottom, but it looked like it did the day I bought it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Bolt it down good.
View Quote

Mine weighs about 1500 pounds loaded... i think im good. LOL

I haven't angered the last son of Krypton recently, anyway.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:29:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By INMY01TA:
Liberty makes nice safe covers in all sizes:
Liberty Safe Cover Up and Protector - Conceal Gun Safe from Sight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0783ZSDYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AVgUEbAKQ6JCR

View Quote

Great resources. Any idea if Liberty or anyone can custom make a 48** wide x 27 D x 72 H cover?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Jandari:

Mine weighs about 1500 pounds loaded... i think im good. LOL

I haven't angered the last son of Krypton recently, anyway.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Bolt it down good.

Well, not far from me a Liberty safe was in the garage, they got into the garage backed in a pickup, tilted and shoved the safe into the truck and poof gone.

The home owner is single and works long hours.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Well, not far from me a Liberty safe was in the garage, they got into the garage backed in a pickup, tilted and shoved the safe into the truck and poof gone.

The home owner is single and works long hours.
View Quote

This is why you bolt it down with as big of anchors as you can,personally I like 1/2 or 5/8 stainless steel “quick bolts” at least 6” from the edges or add one to the center. Place the safe on something solid that would bind a saws all. It will make them work to get it loose.

Pete
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Bolt it down
Camera on it that alerts to motion (give you a heads up someone is trying to get to it)

Liberty safe makes good covers, but an old paint drop cloth might do the same.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:11:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Just received my new safe cover the other day.  Sometimes I leave my windows and curtains open to keep cool.  Neighbors can't see in the room but just in case a repair person comes around I don't want to advertise I've got an RSC.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Bolt it down... stop making excuses.

I have a cheap 400 lb safe I got nearly free... I unloaded it from my truck and moved it onto my basement myself. Not kidding,  nobody was able to help me, my neighbor was sick, and it started raining, so I just moved it. It was surprisingly easy.

Do you think a few guys won't be able to move a 1500 lb safe?

I have a 3500 lb safe and it's bolted down. My dad and I moved that one with a prybar & pallet jack, plus a forklift to lower it off the trailer. It would be quite easy to slide it up to a truck and tip it in with a come-a-long then roll (if it wasn't bolted down).
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
You can use those disposable moisture absorb you get at dollar store if you dont want to run one with electric.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Definitely bolt it down. I've got my 1200 lb Sturdy safe in my garage and had no problem moving it around and installing it by myself. It's surprisingly easy to do. I keep mine covered with an old twin bed cover to keep prying eyes away.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:Great resources. Any idea if Liberty or anyone can custom make a 48** wide x 27 D x 72 H cover?
View Quote

Not sure you’d have to contact them. That’s a big safe you got there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not sure you’d have to contact them. That’s a big safe you got there.
View Quote

Thank you, will do :-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top