Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/8/2017 11:29:16 PM EDT
ETA: Lots has changed since this post. Updates below.

ETA 2: Got my headset. Total embarrassment of a product launch. Read posts below.

ETA 3: Here's all the latest on this headset as of 8/1.

• Does not ship ready to use CR123A batteries, required battery tray will start shipping to users by end of April. (This issue seems to have been dealt with and the headsets are now shipping with the CR123A adapter)
  • NCF "Near Field Communications" update-able audio profiles feature not ready. TCI rep said it will be ready "within a year", very vague on details.
  • Sound quality not up to par, Sordin and Peltor Comtacs both vastly superior in this regard. (I may have gotten a lemon headset, having difficulty contacting Safariland to discuss) (Headset sent in for warranty work, sound quality somewhat improved)
  • Has 4 one star ratings, 3 two star ratings, and 3 five star ratings as of 4/21 with one five star review from Sean Burrows (professional, sponsored shooter) likely a paid/free product endorsement as he is sponsored by Safariland.
  • Price direct from Safariland upped from $260 to $300, available from Botach for $250.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old news/original post...

So I see Safariland has released a new line of electronic hearing protection, one set of which is the Liberator HP. They say its the base headset for their new Liberator IV and V comms units.

What's the deal? Anyone have any info on these? I'm asking here because Safariland doesn't even list NRR.

Sounds like some cool tech though, can use 2 AAA batteries or 1 CR123, modifiable "audio profiles", etc. They claim the suspension is modular and can be switched from over-the-head to behind-the-head styles by the end user. Conveniently enough though they don't have any pictures of this anywhere. If they actually intend to sell these they're doing a really shit job.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it's taken from the MSA Sordin / TCI Liberator design.

Does Safariland group own TCI?  Their product listing seems to cover the TCI line, so it'd make sense.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like it's taken from the MSA Sordin / TCI Liberator design.

Does Safariland group own TCI?  Their product listing seems to cover the TCI line, so it'd make sense.
View Quote
The new Liberator IV and V headsets and the HP derivative are U.S. produced headsets under TCI. It's a modified Sordin design in terms of its physical characteristics.

Yes, Safariland bought out TCI years ago.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I shot Safariland a message asking some questions. I'll post what they say if they get back to me.

Text of my message:

Hello, I'm contacting you as I had some questions about your Liberator HP electronic hearing protection.

1. What is the rated NRR?

2. Will other colors be available, specifically ones in a more subdued color without the bright orange microphone covers? Camo options possibly?

3. Are any other photos of the headset available or will be available at some time? Specifically I'd be interested in photos of the "modular headset suspension".

I ask because the product page is extremely sparse on details/photos. Not listing the NRR for hearing protection is especially baffling to me. I'd appreciate any extra info you could provide.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope they scrapped the Sordin "make everything sound like it is 10 feet away and be annoyingly loud, especially engines and generators" mode so you can finally tell distances with a Sordin headset. Best sound reproduction right now is the Peltor 200/300 series that auto detects if it is indoor or outdoor and alters the timing of the sound cut to remove echos. A simple EQ alteration is not going to cut it for Safariland and I wonder how effective sound cancellation can be for an impulse noise. That whole impulse issue would make me wary of any db reduction claims unless they specified impulse noise as the NRR and not continuous where the noise cancelling would help.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 2:11:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, Safariland hasn't gotten to back to me yet so they obviously won't be at any time. Been a full 5 business days since I sent them that message. Product page for the Liberator HP has not seen a single update.

Good work Safariland. Really confidence inspiring.

Guess I could just try directly emailing them, but I'm not sure how much I care...
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Well it appears it is NRR24 rating from Safariland's website product page.

They sound promising, however as someone said they really, really need an option to have those
2 dials be another color. They stand out way too much. For how expensive they are I don't see myself
ever taking the knobs off and painting them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well it appears it is NRR24 rating from Safariland's website product page.

They sound promising, however as someone said they really, really need an option to have those
2 dials be another color. They stand out way too much. For how expensive they are I don't see myself
ever taking the knobs off and painting them.
View Quote
Holy shit, I thought this thread got archived already.

That NRR rating wasn't there when I made this thread. Guess they realized that finally or enough people asked to get them to take notice.

ETA: Ah! They have a Tan finish option now and added a pic of the other side of the headset as well. Wonder if the tan color still has the safety orange highlights...
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Garand Thumb seems to be T&E'ing a set of them, shown in this video:

Also note the new helmet mount...

Helmet Overview by Garand Thumb and Lucas Botkin
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Garand Thumb seems to be T&E'ing a set of them, shown in this video:

Also note the new helmet mount...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr-PqXJ0YRE
View Quote
Yeah, Ops-Core developed a set of electronic earpro/comms with a proprietary mount much like theirs. Seems high cut ballistic helmets with rail mounted electronic earpro are moving into being the norm instead of the exception.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Weeeeeel now...

Safariland has new photos of these up. The most interesting one is the photo of the tan model. The tan colored one does NOT have those bright orange highlights, instead making them black.

I still haven't seen how the modular headband is supposed to work but I'm increasingly curious about these. They're a touch thicker at the top than Sordins or Peltors so I'm wondering if they'll fit under an ACH or not. Hell, I might just have to pick up a set and try them out at some point.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
There's now 20 percent off in March with code springtraining
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
*sigh*...

God damn it.

Bought one. I'll T&E it for you guys. Expect a thread on this headset at some point in the coming months.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
welp. Guess that does it for me. Was going to get some Sordins but ill give these a go I think
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hope they scrapped the Sordin "make everything sound like it is 10 feet away and be annoyingly loud, especially engines and generators" mode so you can finally tell distances with a Sordin headset. Best sound reproduction right now is the Peltor 200/300 series that auto detects if it is indoor or outdoor and alters the timing of the sound cut to remove echos. A simple EQ alteration is not going to cut it for Safariland and I wonder how effective sound cancellation can be for an impulse noise. That whole impulse issue would make me wary of any db reduction claims unless they specified impulse noise as the NRR and not continuous where the noise cancelling would help.
View Quote
No shit. They will find a diesel engine 1/2 a mile away and amplify it to sound like you’re under the hood.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Does anybody know if the Universal Helmet Mount is / going to be available for these, or if they are compatible with the Crye Airframe?
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Man, Safariland does NOT have it together with this product launch. They keep changing the product page for these. The stated battery life used to say "100-300 hours depending on mode usage", now the page says "up to 400 hours run time, mode dependent".

Sheesh guys, you don't even have the battery life nailed down yet?
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does anybody know if the Universal Helmet Mount is / going to be available for these, or if they are compatible with the Crye Airframe?
View Quote
No idea. I'm assuming they'll work on an Airframe with Safarilands rail attachment system that they designed in conjunction with this new headset. You can see the rail attachment device here. Second photo.

I can't find a place to buy just the helmet interface system yet. I'm assuming it'll come out as a separate accessory at some point. Either that, or all headsets ship with it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, received yours yet? I ended up not ordering them but they've got another 20 percent off, the reviews on site aren't that impressive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP, received yours yet? I ended up not ordering them but they've got another 20 percent off, the reviews on site aren't that impressive.
View Quote
Nope. They're supposedly shipped but I have no idea when or if they actually got out on the truck, Safariland didn't send me the shipping confirmation email I need to track it.

If it's on the truck it should be here sometime between Monday and Wednesday, depending on when it went out.

The reviews on their site aren't exactly reliable. Only one is a verified purchaser, the guy complaining about a missing part (oh fucking boy if that's true). The other two are a competition shooter who was obviously given a set for free as a promotional thing, probably under the condition he write a good review. The other guy isn't a verified purchaser. Could be a competitor leaving a fake review to discredit the product, happens more often than you'd think.

Either way I'll run them through the ringer and do the same type of write up I did for my Sordins. Don't have much free time though until the end of April, so don't expect the big thread to come until sometime in May, possibly later depending on when I get a chance to get out and shoot with them on. I'll try to give a real short initial impressions update here though when I get them.

ETA: Also, for what it's worth, reading some posts on pistol-forum it seems these will also be released eventually in OD green and plain black (no orange highlights). It sounds like the long lead times are due to government demand, so someone big somewhere is buying up the new Liberator line.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nope. They're supposedly shipped but I have no idea when or if they actually got out on the truck, Safariland didn't send me the shipping confirmation email I need to track it.

If it's on the truck it should be here sometime between Monday and Wednesday, depending on when it went out.

The reviews on their site aren't exactly reliable. Only one is a verified purchaser, the guy complaining about a missing part (oh fucking boy if that's true). The other two are a competition shooter who was obviously given a set for free as a promotional thing, probably under the condition he write a good review. The other guy isn't a verified purchaser. Could be a competitor leaving a fake review to discredit the product, happens more often than you'd think.

Either way I'll run them through the ringer and do the same type of write up I did for my Sordins. Don't have much free time though until the end of April, so don't expect the big thread to come until sometime in May, possibly later depending on when I get a chance to get out and shoot with them on. I'll try to give a real short initial impressions update here though when I get them.

ETA: Also, for what it's worth, reading some posts on pistol-forum it seems these will also be released eventually in OD green and plain black (no orange highlights). It sounds like the long lead times are due to government demand, so someone big somewhere is buying up the new Liberator line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting on the last edit. Yeah the reviews certainly need to be taken with a grain of salt. One long range shooter on Instagram was talking about the HP's when I asked what he was using. Which led me to this thread, so ill assume they are pretty decent. The tans do seem to be 'in stock' as it's now a "will ship within 14 days as opposed to 45'. Anyhow, when given the chance would love to see a write up on them!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I also ordered one a little over two weeks ago after seeing this thread. I'm assuming we're all on the same boat waiting hopelessly if and when they will arrive.... I got my confirmation on Thursday stating it will arrive this Wednesday (finally). Safailand makes amazing products but their shipping policy sucks with "fulfillment up to 14 days before shipping."

The only ear pro I have experience is Impact Sport and ProSounds (garbage ass POS) the worst fucking ear pro I have ever used. Ill be doing a pistol class in 2 weeks and for the mean time I'll test the audio around some loud cooling fans and jet engines.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Interesting on the last edit. Yeah the reviews certainly need to be taken with a grain of salt. One long range shooter on Instagram was talking about the HP's when I asked what he was using. Which led me to this thread, so ill assume they are pretty decent. The tans do seem to be 'in stock' as it's now a "will ship within 14 days as opposed to 45'. Anyhow, when given the chance would love to see a write up on them!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's coming. At some point. Eventually.

Shit, I still have the Peltor Comtac III to do. Had the headset for a while now, just can't get out to shoot nor do I have much time to write/take photos/etc. Ugh.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I also ordered one a little over two weeks ago after seeing this thread. I'm assuming we're all on the same boat waiting hopelessly if and when they will arrive.... I got my confirmation on Thursday stating it will arrive this Wednesday (finally). Safailand makes amazing products but their shipping policy sucks with "fulfillment up to 14 days before shipping."

The only ear pro I have experience is Impact Sport and ProSounds (garbage ass POS) the worst fucking ear pro I have ever used. Ill be doing a pistol class in 2 weeks and for the mean time I'll test the audio around some loud cooling fans and jet engines.
View Quote
@monkeykevin85

May I ask where they shipped from? Safariland failed to send me the shipping confirmation email, so I have no idea where they're at. If I know where they're coming from I can at least make an educated guess at when they'll be here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread is relevant to my interests. Have a set of Sordins and a set of Gentex Wolf Ears. Love the Sordins' lower weight and drastically lower bulk, but hate that the sound reproduction and directional sound is actually somehow better on the 1990s Wolf Ears.

Would love to know how the Liberator HPs do. If they got rid of the orange (why...?) I'd grab a set in black.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:11:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests. Have a set of Sordins and a set of Gentex Wolf Ears. Love the Sordins' lower weight and drastically lower bulk, but hate that the sound reproduction and directional sound is actually somehow better on the 1990s Wolf Ears.

Would love to know how the Liberator HPs do. If they got rid of the orange (why...?) I'd grab a set in black.
View Quote
Holy shit, Wolf Ears! Now that's some ancient earpro tech right there.

As stated a couple posts up, an all black version is supposedly on the way.

Bit of an aside, but if you ever decide to let the Wolf Ears go please let me know, I'd be interested in buying them. I love examining the tech in these headsets, find it strangely fascinating. There's next to no info on those on the internet, would like to change that, even though they aren't relevant anymore. Still a cool piece of earpro history.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:34:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bit of an aside, but if you ever decide to let the Wolf Ears go please let me know, I'd be interested in buying them. I love examining the tech in these headsets, find it strangely fascinating. There's next to no info on those on the internet, would like to change that, even though they aren't relevant anymore. Still a cool piece of earpro history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let them go? Boy, I'm still trying to get more when they pop up online to have for parts.

I actually have an original 1020A set from I think either the 80s or early 90s, but the foam driver suspension material finally had it and started disintegrating in the past year, making them unusable, and I've no idea what to replace that with. Have two functional 1030A sets from the mid-90s, and one 1030A set that got ruined by an N battery leaking in the battery compartment (ARGH!). If I ever had spare parts without cannibalizing a working set I'd try and do a teardown and fix them. Thankfully NiMH N batteries actually are a thing now, so don't need to worry about leakage like the alkalines if I wanted to keep a set at the ready.

They are really great sets and if you don't count the sheer weight and bulk of them (they're like wearing flight deck headsets), they actually stack up really well against modern ear pro performance-wise. My 1030A Wolf Ears alone feel like they reduce sound about as much as when I'm using my Sordins doubled up with Earasers, and they are MUCH more comfortable to shoot .308 in enclosed spaces with versus non-doubled up Sordins, such that when I'm going to be shooting rifles indoors I usually leave the Sordins and take the old classics for a spin. Directional sound is excellent and IMO better than my Sordins. Flip the switch to Amp and I can hear exactly where something is, whereas my Sordins often leave me guessing as to where the sound is coming from.

That said, there's a lot to be said for not going around with heavy aircraft carrier ear pro. Sordins get the nod 100% of the time if shooting outdoors, and I double up with Earasers musician plugs if an indoor session is going to last a long time. Wolf Ears still get taken for a spin though occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@monkeykevin85

May I ask where they shipped from? Safariland failed to send me the shipping confirmation email, so I have no idea where they're at. If I know where they're coming from I can at least make an educated guess at when they'll be here.
View Quote
I received notice on Friday the 6th FedEx Bloomington, Komifornia.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@monkeykevin85

Thanks! Should show up this week then, either today or tomorrow.

Also, a side note, looking at videos from shot and some photos released by other media, it looks like the version of the headset we're getting does NOT have the modular suspension.

If that turns out to be the case I'm going to be pissed. Safariland advertised it as having that when I bought it and in several of their earlier releases which I have now screenshoted. The product page no longer advertises it as such after its last update. If they don't at least offer to upgrade mine to that version (if this turns out to be the case) this will be the one and only thing I'll ever buy from Safariland.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#29]
@Frost7
@Toothpicksandkatchup
@monkeykevin85

Well, they're here.

And I'm distinctly unimpressed so far. Really not thrilled at all actually. The awful instruction pamphlet has confirmed that the model available from Safariland currently does NOT have modular suspension, and now that I have it hand it's pretty clear this isn't that model. Not happy. The one with the "Universal" suspension is not out yet.

Sound is meh. I think both my Sordins and Peltor ComTac IIIs are better so far. The background "hiss" that's audible at higher levels with my Sordins and Peltors is audible at all times with these. Also, they pick up wind like a motherfucker. Worse than my Sordins. Yes, you read that correctly. Waving my hands at the mics results in some nasty buffeting.

Headband is shit. Not terribly uncomfortable, but not great. Actually less comfortable than the plain faux-leather covered band of my Peltors. There's a little spot right on the top of my head where I feel it sitting.

The gel cups are fine. They're gel cups, nothing new. What's interesting is that they have an O-ring seal on them. It definitely isn't needed to keep the cups in, I think they're trying to keep dust/water out of the electronics that way.

Battery compartment requires use of a tool to open/close. Just a little screw, anything that fits in the slot will do. It is sealed, though its a press fit seal over some sort of not-very-durable-feeling foam.

Will update with more as I play around with them. Pics inbound at some point.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#30]
So they DO fit under the ears of my ACH helmet. It's a damn close fit but they do indeed fit. The headband is the biggest fit issue actually. You'll want to create a "pad channel" for it.

Boy, they sound like shit. Hollow, voices have a strange vibrational tone. My Sordins sound infinitely more natural than these. Peltors too.

Circuit boards are NOT up to par compared to the Peltor ComTac III. There's a light dusting of lacquer on them not unlike the circuit boards on my Sordin Supreme Pro-X headset, but that's it. These would likely not meet the environmental resistance standards of the ComTac III. The solder jobs, upon initial inspection, aren't terrible but leave something to be desired. They're a touch sloppy but they'll get the job done. No frosting or anything really bad though.

There's nothing interesting behind the circuit boards. I cannot find a real reason for the increased cup thickness of these compared to the cup thickness of Peltors and Sordins. It's not actually an increase in thickness of the plastic either, the shape is just more bulbous and doesn't taper down at the top as much.

Also, that one reviewer was NOT BULLSHITING. I tried a CR123A battery in the headset and it rattles around in there like mad. Does NOT work. That's right, the touted "dual fuel feature" ships in a non-functioning state. What an abject fucking embarrassment. Instruction booklet makes NO mention of this or what to do about it. No note about this, nothing. The end user is left 100% in the dark.

I'm more disappointed than I am anything else. What a terrible showing on the part of TCI and Safariland. The very first (that I know of anyway) U.S.A. made electronic earpro/comms headset and it's a joke dragged down further into the mud by an extremely poorly handled product launch. Whoever allowed this to make it out the door should be fired. Whoever handled the marketing should also be fired.

Anyway, pictures...

The box, instruction pamphlet, and headset.

Inside of left cup, controls are here.

Circuit board backside close up.

Circuit board front close up, showing speakers. I theorize the second speaker is used for the "Active Noise Reduction" mode to handle counter frequency generation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Oh man appreciate the info and tear down. That's certainly disappointing on Safarilands part. For them to not work with the duel battery option is ridiculous. Like you mentioned, you can't tout something and have it be a complete disaster. This is similar to what the company (V-Moda) whom makes my headphones did. Claimed it was ACC codecs when it obviously wasn't amongst other false advertising. Hopefully this battery compartment deal gets sorted, sounds like i'll just pay the extra for the Sordin Pro-Xs if the sound/wind is that obnoxious on these HP's.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn, I almost forgot since the manual didn't mention this feature at all.

The "NFC" or Near Field Communications feature. The firmware is supposed to be user update-able to change the sound profile.

Well... how the hell am I supposed to do that? It's still mentioned on the product page, which also features ZERO explanation of how this is supposed to be done.

*sigh* Guess I'll be having a long talk with Safariland/TCI customer service on Wednesday.

ETA: The sound quality and handling of wind noise might improve upon adjustment of the sound profile using this feature, but I have no way to use it. Its use is not discussed in the manual or on Safariland's website.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Oh man appreciate the info and tear down. That's certainly disappointing on Safarilands part. For them to not work with the duel battery option is ridiculous. Like you mentioned, you can't tout something and have it be a complete disaster. This is similar to what the company (V-Moda) whom makes my headphones did. Claimed it was ACC codecs when it obviously wasn't amongst other false advertising. Hopefully this battery compartment deal gets sorted, sounds like i'll just pay the extra for the Sordin Pro-Xs if the sound/wind is that obnoxious on these HP's.
View Quote
My Sordin Supreme Pro-X headset has been excellent. Love it, no major complaints. Read my thread on it, I linked it a few posts up.

The Peltor ComTac III can also be had with gel cups from Botach for $300 shipped. No problems to report there either besides minor nagging stuff. Both are excellent headsets though and I'm comfortable recommending both.

The one reported issue with Sordins is their QC has seemingly faltered in the past couple years, several members here report having issues with their headset at one point or another. Most reviews are still overwhelmingly positive however and like I said my set is doing just fine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow. Sounds like Safariland shit the bed on these. Especially if they're built off of Sordins; why would you take a set and DOWNgrade them?

My only gripe with my Sordins (got the Supreme Pro-X Premiums) is directional sound leaves something to be desired; otherwise they're awesome. Guess I'll still be sticking with those.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wow. Sounds like Safariland shit the bed on these. Especially if they're built off of Sordins; why would you take a set and DOWNgrade them?

My only gripe with my Sordins (got the Supreme Pro-X Premiums) is directional sound leaves something to be desired; otherwise they're awesome. Guess I'll still be sticking with those.
View Quote
These might have been good if they hadn't fucked up the launch so damn bad.

I'll have to talk to them about using the NFC updateable firmware feature. Playing with the headset, when I have it in "dual mode" (meaning both the standard hear-through with blast compression and active noise cancellation is on) the sound quality miraculously improves. Go figure. Less hollow, voices sound clearer, etc. Closer to being on par with my Sordins.

So it's obviously capable of sounding better, I just can't do that in the other mode without the NFC tech being ready.

ETA: Also, for those concerned with environmental resistance, Safariland claimed in their initial promo release about the Liberator V (dual comm version of this headset) that the headset is submersible to 15 feet, but I haven't seen that mentioned on the product pages as a feature nor have they released a full spec on that. For comparison, the Peltor ComTac III is rated for submersion in 3 feet for 30 minutes with salt water survive-ability. So this is supposedly better than the ComTacs for environmental resistance.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn... Y'all folk making me "feel" bad... Embarrassingly I personally own a V-moda Crossfade II and now the Liberator HP... I just received my HP the package is similar to my V-Moda with a little less bling and no tamper proof tape after opening up the HP box the quality is cheap and poor especially around the plastic mold for the battery compartment with some super soft foam gasket around the battery door. Around my ear cup common to gell pad a gray foam possibly for the circuit board is exposed and pinched between the cup/pad.

By the way where and how do you guys upload photos???
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone know how to get through to Safariland customer service? I've called twice now on different days and both times got an automated message that customer service was "unavailable due to a mandatory company meeting" and to call back in an hour. I find this "mandatory meeting" hard to believe.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn... Y'all folk making me "feel" bad... Embarrassingly I personally own a V-moda Crossfade II and now the Liberator HP... I just received my HP the package is similar to my V-Moda with a little less bling and no tamper proof tape after opening up the HP box the quality is cheap and poor especially around the plastic mold for the battery compartment with some super soft foam gasket around the battery door. Around my ear cup common to gell pad a gray foam possibly for the circuit board is exposed and pinched between the cup/pad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use Imgur.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#39]
@Frost7 @Toothpicksandkatchup
@monkeykevin85

Finally got through to their CS. Here's the news:

Duel fuel feature: There's a separate battery tray that's needed to use CR123A batteries. They're supposed to start shipping by the end of this month.

NFC: Not ready. I spoke to a TCI rep who was very vague on this. Doesn't sound like he was too privy to the info or didn't want to disclose much. Said it'll be ready "within a year". Said updates on this will be sent by email.

That said there is currently no way to improve upon the sound quality without the NFC feature being ready. So until it is this headset will continue to be vastly inferior in terms of sound quality compared to both my Sordins and Peltor ComTacs.

I gave my description of the sound quality to the TCI rep, after which he tried giving me a sales pitch about how the ANC mode ups the NRR by X amount and so on. Said he appreciated the feedback. Kinda doubting they'll do much with it. Guy shut down the conversation before I had a chance to ask anything else. Could have been busy, I don't know.

ETA: All in all they don't seem to give too much of a damn about their screw ups. Kinda hand waved it all away. Doubt I'll buy another Safariland product.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@monkeykevin85

Duel fuel feature: There's a separate battery tray that's needed to use CR123A batteries. They're supposed to start shipping by the end of this month.

NFC: Not ready. I spoke to a TCI rep who was very vague on this. Doesn't sound like he was too privy to the info or didn't want to disclose much. Said it'll be ready "within a year". Said updates on this will be sent by email.

That said there is currently no way to improve upon the sound quality without the NFC feature being ready. So until it is this headset will continue to be vastly inferior in terms of sound quality compared to both my Sordins and Peltor ComTacs.

I gave my description of the sound quality to the TCI rep, after which he tried giving me a sales pitch about how the ANC mode ups the NRR by X amount and so on. Said he appreciated the feedback. Kinda doubting they'll do much with it. Guy shut down the conversation before I had a chance to ask anything else. Could have been busy, I don't know.

ETA: All in all they don't seem to give too much of a damn about their screw ups. Kinda hand waved it all away. Doubt I'll buy another Safariland product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@monkeykevin85

Well that is pretty dang disappointing thats for sure, sounds like it was rushed to the market just a bit to quick. Also sounds kinda of like mediocre CS on their part. I haven't gotten all the way though your review on the Sordins, but for now, it seems like the way to go. Curious to see how much improvement comes when they can update the firmware.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol why embarrassingly? I use my CFW originals all the time in the gym on bluetooth and they're great for what they are. However, over on the Head-Fi forms is where things have gone south. Not only did V-Modas CEO/owner disappear as soon as discrepancies were called out but the false advertising on prior products started to rear its head. Again, I love the styling/form factor but they are behind the times in bluetooth technology. I'll be a buyer when/if the CFWIII come out. Image hosting I do though flickr.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@monkeykevin85

View Quote
CAKEPWNER just wanted to say MEGA thanks for your detailed postings thus far, from the pics, *teardown* & followup w/ Safariland's CS, BZ mi amigo.

That said, I received my HP's today & until I found your post here, I couldn't determine how to make a CR123 work in these, now I know why.

To be clear, is it your understanding that Safariland will be AUTOMATICALLY sending out the 123 trays to us that just received the HPs?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
CAKEPWNER just wanted to say MEGA thanks for your detailed postings thus far, from the pics, *teardown* & followup w/ Safariland's CS, BZ mi amigo.

That said, I received my HP's today & until I found your post here, I couldn't determine how to make a CR123 work in these, now I know why.

To be clear, is it your understanding that Safariland will be AUTOMATICALLY sending out the 123 trays to us that just received the HPs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@monkeykevin85

If by automatically you mean they'll start shipping as soon as the part is ready, yes.

If you mean they'll get it shipped to you with no prompting of them on your part, I have no idea. Personally, I'd recommend everyone intent on keeping these to call them up and ask they ship you the part.

Also, gotta ask you guys that got a set: Do they sound as bad as mine? I mean, they're pretty terrible sounding. Lack of depth, any wind/breath/air movement sound is right on top of everything else, hollow, strong and persistent electronic fuzz.

ETA: I really should get a 3Dio or similar so I can record the sound produced by headsets. I might if they weren't hundreds of dollars for a basic model.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Alright, I just opened an account with IMGUR and posting through my Pixil XL and here is my gripe with the Safariland Liberator HP.

Obviously this was assembled on a Monday or a Friday due to the poor craftsmanship. It appears the inner foam for the electronic or sound deadening is pinched between the outer cup common to the gel cup.

It appears that the battery compartment door gasket material is some super cheap soft foam that appears to lack durability. Just by looking at the hinges it already has a severe pinch point on the SUPER soft sex toy foam.

Sound Quality:
The limited experience I have with any ear pro's are the Impact Sport  (Golden Standard) and the ProSounds M4 (GoFundMe) that is FAWKiNG garbage! The only reason I bought the M4 was because Sootch and FunkerTactical reviews stated/promoted they were good when I was in need for a new Ear Pro to replace my broken Impact Sport.

Any how...
Issue #1
The preset startup is "active noise cancellation" sound quality is hollow and my voice sounds raspy and choppy with excessive ambiat background noise. Sound quality improves when switched into "Combined Mode" but also has some other issues.
Issue #2
The Liberator HP shares some very distinct issues I had with my 2 pairs of POS ProSound M4 sounds cutting in and out when there is a slight breeze. A recent issues I have noticed on occasion is when I set the Liberator  to "Combined Mode" (both active noise cancellation and noise compression) the sounds get choppy cutting in and out as if there is a slight breeze when I move my head. Turning the unit on and off fixes this issues momentarily, but then it starts to act up again after use.

This is garbage! Garbage!!!!! For $230 MADE IN USA is unacceptable... Should of been, "Made in some Shit Hole Company;" but I love their 7TS w/ ALS holster.

As an American it's sad that a company like Safailand would put a POS product out with limited info/reviews and labled, "Made in USA," seriously... Garbage!!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 2:17:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Alright, I just opened an account with IMGUR and posting through my Pixil XL and here is my gripe with the Safariland Liberator HP.

Obviously this was assembled on a Monday or a Friday due to the poor craftsmanship. It appears the inner foam for the electronic or sound deadening is pinched between the outer cup common to the gel cup.
https://i.imgur.com/etIbFiU.jpg

It appears that the battery compartment door gasket material is some super cheap soft foam that appears to lack durability. Just by looking at the hinges it already has a severe pinch point on the SUPER soft sex toy foam.
https://i.imgur.com/MeVZ5tv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DV9CQLZ.jpg

Sound Quality:
The only experience I have with any ear pro's are the Impact Sport  (Golden Standard) and the ProSounds M4 that is FAWKiNG garbage! The only reason I bought the M4 was because Sootch and FunkerTactical review said they were good when I was searching for a new Ear Pro to replace my broken Impact Sport.

Any how...
Issue #1
The preset startup is "active noise cancellation" sound quality is hollow and my voice sounds raspy and choppy with excessive ambiat background noise. Sound quality improves when switched into "Combined Mode" but also has some other issues.
Issue #2
The Liberator HP shares some very distinct issues I had with my 2 pairs of POS ProSound M4 sounds cutting in and out when there is a slight breeze. A recent issues I have noticed on occasion is when I set the Liberator  to "Combined Mode" (both active noise cancellation and noise compression) the sounds get choppy cutting in and out as if there is a slight breeze when I move my head. Turning the unit on and off fixes this issues momentarily, but then it starts to act up again after use.

This is garbage! Garbage!!!!! For $230 MADE IN USA is unacceptable... Should of been, "Made in some Shit Hole Company."
View Quote
Well it's not just me then. They really do sound terrible.

I have the same thing going on with them sounding better in combined mode. Strange.

You're probably hearing the ANC kicking in on the combined mode, that's the blunt "popping" sound you're hearing when you shake your head with ANC on.

That foam is pretty sad feeling. The whole battery compartment design isn't that spectacular. Not the worst thing ever, but not great.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#45]
I would suggest anyone who bought a Liberator HP write a review and voice your disappointment of a garbage product and embarrassment "Made in USA," WTF... I love their holster, but I work hard for my money and now I'm stuck with 3 pairs of under delivered ear pro's on two bad occasions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Safariland is censoring reviews.

They never posted my first one that I submitted weeks ago even though it was within all their review guidelines. Just tried again, made it a bit different. We'll see if this one goes up. Probably not.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Well they have indeed published my second review. So there's that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:one five star review from Sean Burrows (professional, sponsored shooter) likely a paid/free product endorsement as he is sponsored by Safariland.
View Quote
Top kek.

Safariland, seriously?
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Top kek.

Safariland, seriously?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:one five star review from Sean Burrows (professional, sponsored shooter) likely a paid/free product endorsement as he is sponsored by Safariland.
Top kek.

Safariland, seriously?
Serious as syphilis.

The name used for the review was "SeanGoBoom", Sean Burrows online handle. If you go to his website Safariland is listed as one of his sponsors. One of the animated photos on the homepage shows him wearing a Safariland cap.

Paid endorsement. Fake review. Whatever you want to call it, it's BS. His affiliation with Safariland is not mentioned in the review.

ETA: It was also the very first review posted for the headset. Not exactly subtle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#50]
I "tried" to give it another chance during a pistol course but it annoyed the Sh*t out of me knowing I paid for a Sh*t product. Every time the instructor gave out verbal instructions his voice was fuzzy high pitched that made it difficult to hear and painful to the ears without secondary in-ear plugs. In the last two weeks, I have called and left two messages to Safariland with zero response from them.  Just called my credit card company to dispute the charge requesting a return and refund.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top