Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 74
Posted: 6/23/2018 8:19:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker]
So I took the plunge into the unknown and purchased a Stribog as soon as they became available. Pending a range report, I am really liking this pistol but I do have a couple of concerns.  I am hoping these take-off in popularity making it an attractive platform for aftermarket manufacturers.  More specifically the availability of 922r parts should the Stribog prove itself worthy as an SBR candidate.  

I contacted Eagle Imports and queried the future availability of stocks and 922r parts and they replied as follows:
“No, we will not be selling stocks or any 922R compliant parts. We will only be selling the basic parts, such as the magazines and adapter”.

Disassembly: Push pins are a little tight, more about that below. Rear cap has a very nice snug fit to the receiver and needs just a light tap with a rubber mallet for removal. Buffer pads at the rear tend to bind a little in the housing so the bolt assembly will not slide out unless you pull on the buffer while pulling back on the charging handle at the same time. I assume a little lube on the perimeter of the buffer pads or at the rear of the housing will fix that.    

Upon initial inspection I noticed the front side of the rear sight appeared a little rough then realized after looking at the front sight the ramp or stop had sheared off.  I imagine it looked similar to the stop on the front site pictured for reference.  I contacted Eagle Imports about this and unfortunately they do not have any parts available yet so they will be sending a new sight when available.  Plastic sights that can break are an obvious concern but I plan on taking advantage of the top rail and will be mounting a red dot.

Front Sight

My second concern is lower push pin set-up. At first glance it appeared the rear push pin broke through the housing but what looked like a break is just basically a stepped portion of the lower housing where it meets the upper receiver.  This could have been designed better.  In the second picture here you can see how the pin breaks that diameter in the housing on both sides. Housing material just above the pin measures 0.082” thick which seems a little thin. Hopefully this holds up and doesn’t wallow out after time. The bright spot here is if the lower does need to be replaced it can as the upper is the serialized/registered portion.  

The lower pins have two sets of grooves that engage a wire retainer that simply slips into the housing. These wire retainers apply quite a bit of tension to the pin. I was not able to push the pins out by hand or at least I couldn’t get them to budge by hand.  Use of a punch and small dead blow mallet did the trick. It didn’t take much effort to break them loose; it was just a matter of quick tap to get the pin retention groove past the wire retainer. You can also see in these pics that the lower housing is symmetrical in design meaning you can move the retainers to the left side of the lower (installed in right side from factory) if you wish to push the pins out from right to left.

Rear

Front

Upper receiver assembly: Very clean machining, fit and finish. Bolt travels the length of the receiver very smoothly.   The upper looks similar to the B&T GMH9 and APC9 but the noticeable difference are the screws used to assemble the B&T uppers.  Grand Power uses a barrel nut to assemble the upper creating a much cleaner look.  

Bolt

Buffer:  Two buffer pads attach via the pins shown here.

Bolt Hold Open/Release
Somewhat of a different design, an ambi bolt hold open/release straddles the outside of the lower receiver and is held in place by the front pin.

Tension spring for BHO

Last round bolt hold open

Trigger Group
As you can see here, the trigger group appears to be a self contained unit that slips into the lower housing. I wanted to remove the trigger group for pics but I couldn't immediately see how to remove the safety selector.  I need to take a closer look at that.  

Mag Release

I just purchased the brace adapter and a Gear Head Works Tailhook Mod 2 brace hoping it is compatible with their brace adapter. We'll find out soon.  
Looking forward to taking this to the range and will report out then.

Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
What was the cost?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:52:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
What was the cost?
View Quote
Best price now looks to be Grab-A-Gun @ $730

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/stribog?view=list
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
When I spoke with Grand America a few days ago, they told me they do have plans to import the stocks, just no date yet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
In for range report - nice pics and write-up!  I'm patiently awaiting the A3 (delayed blowback and non-reciprocating CH) version.  I love my K100s (especially the X-Calibur) and this would fit nicely along-side them!
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By icura:
In for range report - nice pics and write-up!  I'm patiently awaiting the A3 (delayed blowback and non-reciprocating CH) version.  I love my K100s (especially the X-Calibur) and this would fit nicely along-side them!
View Quote
Are the mags proprietary?

I remember several years ago the large guy posting his R&D pics and they appeared to be using Colt SMG or modified Uzi mags.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikev101:

Are the mags proprietary?

I remember several years ago the large guy posting his R&D pics and they appeared to be using Colt SMG or modified Uzi mags.
View Quote
Yes proprietary but it looks like Colt SMG mags would work with modification. UZI as well but the Stribog mag catch is at at the same height as the Colt SMG mag.

I am not too worried about the mags being proprietary as long as they are cheap and plentiful.  I just purchased some extra mags for $19 each.

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/magazine-gp-stribog-9mm-20rd.html
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:10:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker] [#8]
Here's a quick dimensional comparison and some images of the magazines that have been questioned.

Stribog
Colt SMG
Metalform (Colt Pattern)
UZI (origin unknown)

D was measured at the mag catch area.

Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By N_Parker:
Here's a quick dimensional comparison and some images of the magazines that have been questioned.
View Quote
EXACTLY the info I was looking for.  Excellent post sir, thank you!
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]
[size=4]Here's a quick dimensional comparison and some images of the magazines that have been questioned.
View Quote
Dude... you are THE MAN!

It looks like one additional measurement is the definite dealbreaker- follower/BHO height is much higher on the Stribog.

It's completely unbelievable how stupid they could be to design a proprietary magazine.

ALSO- looks like the Euros are getting Stribog with an allow lower, M4 compatible grips, and longer HG...
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 5:10:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the write up and pics, won't be buying that one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:59:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#12]
It seems extremely well designed.  It's nice that there is so much metal where the CZ is plastic, and that the mags are similar prices.

I won't be buying one unless they come out with a carbine, as I'm not gambling my cash on the "shoulder a brace" game.  That, and since I already have a customized Scorpion Carbine, the original guesstimated price of $599 in another thread was much more enticing than $730.

But a well built item regardless.  Except for maybe that rear pin area.  But the fact that Uzi mags seem close, even without the LRBHO, is tempting.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
But the fact that Uzi mags seem close, even without the LRBHO, is tempting.
View Quote
If they want to make sales, they should adapt their lower to feed from GLOCK MAGS and make it out of alloy like the Euro guns.

As it is, it seems like it would be a very simple revision to the design to have the bolt catch reach lower to engage a Colt pattern follower, and tweak the catch height a little.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#14]
thanks for the info! I have been patiently waiting for more on this as the Grand Power pistols always seemed a good value.

I too hope these take off, would love to see a mag adapter...
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 7:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#15]

If they want to make sales, they should adapt their lower to feed from GLOCK MAGS ....
As it is, it seems like it would be a very simple revision to the design to have the bolt catch reach lower to engage a Colt pattern follower, and tweak the catch height a little.
View Quote
Why would anyone who already designed a sub gun to do subgun things such as maximize round count per mag for the volume by going for double stack/double feed, redesign their feed ramp, bolt, and possibly extractor geometry, to go to a less space efficient double stack single feed magazine?  It would be simpler to adapt the magwell to accommodate the already inexpensive and prevalent CZ Scorpion mags, or Uzi or Colt pattern mags.

Ruger PCC, which is not/will never be an SMG, designed to placate the US civilian market?  Sure.  Something designed for the entire rest of the world?  Why redesign?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I would like to point out how successful CZ has been with the Scorpion EVO which was introduced to the U.S. market not so long ago with a proprietary magazine.

I have no issues with proprietary magazines as long as they are cheap and plentiful.  As noted above, I purchases some extra 20rd mags for $19 each.  Even if the 30 rd mags are $25 each, at that price I am not going through the trouble of converting mags.  That's just my preference.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Why didn't they make the charging handle nonreciprocal?  I would tear my thumb off shooting that...
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 3:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker] [#19]
Good Stribog video here shooting different types of ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSBgNs5hng
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Stribog
Colt SMG
Metalform (Colt Pattern)
UZI (origin unknown)

D was measured at the mag catch area.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/921/bWkF3H.png
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/6dsenj.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/921/I87HsT.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/A9tIcW.jpg
View Quote
Anyone tried B&T mags?  They're basically slightly fatter polymer Uzi mags with the Colt-style catch
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker] [#21]
Originally Posted By barnbwt:

Anyone tried B&T mags?  They're basically slightly fatter polymer Uzi mags with the Colt-style catch
View Quote
Yes, about 0.040" too wide (going from memory) on dimension "D" and would not insert into the mag well.  Also the mag catch is on the opposite side.  Based on this I did not see the B&T mags as a possible fit so I did not include them in the matrix above.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kpel308:

The A1 (in Europe it is the A2) was approved by the ATF before he came up with the A3 non-reciprocating delayed blowback.  They have to get that operating system approved by the ATF before importation.
View Quote
Alloy lower too, from the looks of one Italian guy's pics.

Hopefully they can get better, but the price needs to come down too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Alloy lower too, from the looks of one Italian guy's pics.

Hopefully they can get better, but the price needs to come down too.
View Quote
I think the price is more than reasonable for what you're getting.  If the A3 delayed blowback version can manage to accept AR triggers and they change the funky safety for the US...it will be a winner at the ~$800 price point.

I have an APC9 and love it, but a delayed blowback A3 that accepts AR triggers means I will be adding one to my collection...it'll go nicely with the X-Calibur
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By icura:

I think the price is more than reasonable for what you're getting.  If the A3 delayed blowback version can manage to accept AR triggers and they change the funky safety for the US...it will be a winner at the ~$800 price point.

I have an APC9 and love it, but a delayed blowback A3 that accepts AR triggers means I will be adding one to my collection...it'll go nicely with the X-Calibur
View Quote
The value is not good when compared to a Scorpion or a 9mm AR... then again, if you own B&T, you're obviously not concerned with value.

Also- the proprietary mags are a larger issue than the trigger, and they should sell the junk plastic to the Euros and give us the alloy lower.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 6:39:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker] [#25]

The value is not good when compared to a Scorpion or a 9mm AR... then again, if you own B&T, you're obviously not concerned with value.

Also- the proprietary mags are a larger issue than the trigger, and they should sell the junk plastic to the Euros and give us the alloy lower.
View Quote
How is the Stribog not a good value when compared to an AR 9mm and especially the Scorpion?

Both Stribog & Scorpion use proprietary magazines.  Grab-A-Gun is selling the Stribog for $694.99 which is less expensive than the average selling price for the Scorpion EVO 3.  IMO it feels like you are getting more for your money with a Stribog vs. a Scorpion.

Yes you could probably build a basic/budget build AR based 9mm for less than $700 but like myself, I am sure most of the people interested in the Stribog already have an AR based PCC and a Scorpion.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#26]

How is the Stribog not a good value when compared to an AR 9mm and especially the Scorpion?

Both Stribog & Scorpion use proprietary magazines.  Grab-A-Gun is selling the Stribog for $694.99 which is less expensive than the average selling price for the Scorpion EVO 3.  IMO it feels like you are getting more for your money with a Stribog vs. a Scorpion.

Yes you could probably build a basic AR based 9mm for less than $700 but like myself, I am sure most of the people interested in the Stribog already have an AR based PCC and a Scorpion.
View Quote
Couldn't have said it better myself^
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:20:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker] [#27]
Just got a chance to take a better look at the trigger group.  The selector separates on the right hand side.  Just need to depress the detents to remove the selector levers.   After that, the trigger group removed easily.

I would also like to note that the Stribog trigger and hammer pins are the same diameter as AR pins.

Trigger components removed

AR 15 Trigger left, Stribog right

Stribog disconnect centered over AR disconnect

Stribog hammer left, AR hammer right.  Stribog disconnect and sear engagement areas appear to be very close to the AR hammer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:27:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker] [#28]
Finally took it to the range today.  Here it is in it's current configuration.  Shot 147 grain ammo suppressed with no hiccups at all.

Very easy to keep on target. Not as soft shooting as my APC9 or SIG MPX but much smoother/softer than the Scorpion and maybe a little softer than my AR 9mm SBR.  I'll need to run it side by side with my AR 9mm SBR to be sure.

Shot it side by side with my APC9.

25 yard pistol range. Left/first target dialing in the MRO.  Target on right second mag. Looks like it could go up and to the right a little more but at that point I just started having fun with it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got a chance to take a better look at the trigger group.  The selector separates on the right hand side.  Just need to depress the detents to remove the selector levers.   After that, the trigger group removed easily.

I would also like to note that the Stribog trigger and hammer pins are the same diameter as AR pins.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/921/JwpSZN.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/921/0UXLPr.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/JsfdFI.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/FBfUXk.jpg

Trigger components removed
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/0RTNNn.jpg

AR 15 Trigger left, Stribog right
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/921/pCD1nQ.jpg

Stribog disconnect centered over AR disconnect
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/uODDfp.jpg

Stribog hammer left, AR hammer right.  Stribog disconnect and sear engagement areas appear to be very close to the AR hammer.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/7HJbwn.jpg
View Quote
Thanks @N_Parker ^good info here.  Have you tried installing an AR trigger in the Stribog?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#30]
How’s your cheek weld on the iron sights?

Finally took it to the range today.  Here it is in it's current configuration.  Shot 147 grain ammo suppressed with no hiccups at all.

Very easy to keep on target. Not as soft shooting as my APC9 or SIG MPX but much smoother/softer than the Scorpion and maybe a little softer than my AR 9mm SBR.  I'll need to run it side by side with my AR 9mm SBR to be sure.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/921/gdncGo.jpg

Shot it side by side with my APC9.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/1ktxBZ.jpg

25 yard pistol range. Left/first target dialing in the MRO.  Target on right second mag. Looks like it could go up and to the right a little more but at that point I just started having fun with it.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/n9KBN5.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By muzzleloader:
How’s your cheek weld on the iron sights?
View Quote
Perfect height for me with the Tailhook mod II
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Get it here in Alloy and I'll consider it. If they import one that is alloy and uses colt/uzi metalform mags... Will FO like a bum to a free all you can eat buffet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#33]
30 round mags finally arrived.  Took it to the range again this past weekend. I am liking this more and more.

Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:49:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker] [#35]
I made a suggestion for another type of stock to my friend the mad scientist, and... https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1232/38650372_10204275761490633_3894248092823715840_o-633710.jpg
View Quote
kpel308: I like it!  Collapsible stocks appeal to quite a few people but what about a folding stock? Could you make a few suggestions to your buddy on my behalf.

1). An optional rear adapter that will allow the use of a B&T folding stock.  This will also allow folks to use the SB Tactical folding brace or a B&T stock.  I realize there may be some IP associated with that style B&T folder that could prevent this.

2). Add a 3 lug barrel to the next generation pistols.

3). Shorten up the barrel a little similar to the pic you posted above.  It doesn't need to extend past the hand guard quite as far as it currently does.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I made a suggestion for another type of stock to my friend the mad scientist, and... https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1232/38650372_10204275761490633_3894248092823715840_o-633710.jpg
View Quote
How about a different brace adapter? One that isn't a flat plate and is a little more rounded
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#37]

The A1 (in Europe it is the A2) was approved by the ATF before he came up with the A3 non-reciprocating delayed blowback.  They have to get that operating system approved by the ATF before importation.  They are already in select-fire and semi versions in Europe.  Thank the ATF's bureaucracy.

Yes, this thing comes in select fire, just not to us.
View Quote
@kpel308

Any word on the A3?  I am assuming he has submitted the paperwork for ATF processing, correct?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#38]
An adapter with a 1913 rail, allowing the use of MPX braces/stocks, instead of the tube threads would be excellent. Simple solution for a nice improvement.

I've heard a 3rd-party is working on Stribog brace stuff, but who knows if/when it will be released.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By meitner:
An adapter with a 1913 rail, allowing the use of MPX braces/stocks, instead of the tube threads would be excellent. Simple solution for a nice improvement.

I've heard a 3rd-party is working on Stribog brace stuff, but who knows if/when it will be released.
View Quote
That would be good
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:28:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#41]
If I am not mistaken, Safety Harbor Firearms has built a pic rail for the back already. Don't believe it is available yet though. I would just like to see the factory folders available, and do something about the shoulder on the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#43]

I found the Safety Harbor FB thread and tagged the pertinent parties. Great idea, and I hope a mutually beneficial relationship comes from it.
View Quote
Adding pic from their FB post.

Link Posted: 8/21/2018 7:38:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#44]

Adding pic from their FB post.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1280x1024q90/923/RX0MHr.jpg
View Quote
Oh snap. Now we're talking! Good job. You should get one of the Rattler "minimalist" stocks when they start shipping to dealers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Stribog on sale for $629 at Palmetto State

Palmetto Stribog
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Clearance? as in... its going away???

or as in another new generations is coming?
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Wow...glad I didn't bother picking up any to sell, thats below my lowest distributor cost...
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 12:52:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Getnlwr:

View Quote
It looks to be a generational thing. Non-integrated iron sights, key mod, and some differences in the lower it looks like.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 6:36:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: N_Parker] [#49]
Originally Posted By airmandaniel:
It looks to be a generational thing. Non-integrated iron sights, key mod, and some differences in the lower it looks like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By airmandaniel:
Originally Posted By Getnlwr:

I think it is clearance for Palmetto only and I do not think this is any different than the M-LOK version everyone else is selling.  You'll notice in the questions and answers section they confirm M-LOK slots at 3 and 9 vs. key-mod.  Everyone seem to be using that key-mod image early on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Stribog on sale for $629 at Palmetto State

Palmetto Stribog
View Quote
Thanks N_Parker I couldn't resist at $629.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top