Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2022 9:51:57 AM EDT
I haven’t been able to get a straight answer on other websites I seen postings that supposedly the SS197 is discontinued or will be getting discontinued.

I’m turning to the hive for a answer to this question I wasn’t sure if I should post it in this section or not but I figured since it’s all about FN this would be the location.

If it turns out they are discontinuing the SS197 is there a reason behind it?
My local shop is charging 49.99 for SS197 and 39.99 for SS195.

A little bit off topic I prefer the 195‘s anyway, but I usually use the 197‘s for range use. I tend to just zero with the 195s and I use the 197’s for planking target shooting etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested as well.  Could be related to the NATO acceptance.
Have you had issues with recent AE FMJ?

PSA told me they would start cranking out their own AAC branded 5.7 plinking ammo around August.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Interested as well.  Could be related to the NATO acceptance.
Have you had issues with recent AE FMJ?

PSA told me they would start cranking out their own AAC branded 5.7 plinking ammo around August.
View Quote

AE TMJ is junk!!! I tried several lots in my PS90 SBR. FTE, FTL, FTF every other round. Bullets pushed in and under pressure ammo. Its shit ammo!!  Made my Fiocchi and they slapped a AE label on the box.

I wouldn’t use this ammo if it was given to me for FREE!! The risk of it damaging my high priced SBR it’s too much of a risk for me
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ArmedSerenity:

AE TMJ is junk!!! I tried several lots in my PS90 SBR. FTE, FTL, FTF every other round. Bullets pushed in and under pressure ammo. Its shit ammo!!  Made my Fiocchi and they slapped a AE label on the box.

I wouldn’t use this ammo if it was given to me for FREE!! The risk of it damaging my high priced SBR it’s too much of a risk for me
View Quote

I don't disagree with your assessment but you know that Fiocchi also produces the SS197, right?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:46:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedSerenity] [#4]

I don't disagree with your assessment but you know that Fiocchi also produces the SS197, right?
View Quote

Yes I am aware that Fiocchi makes this ammo the only  actual made by a FN is SS195 SS198 ( that is available to the public)

AE TMJ is  way under pressured and is not by any means a defensive round. Its at best a Planking round

Having said that if you wanna spend your money on AE by all means do what you Gotta do it’s a free country I warn everybody about it it’s crap ammo for the money they want for it you’re better off buying anything else. Even SS197 made by Fiochi is way more reliable than AE TMJ
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ArmedSerenity: AE TMJ is junk!!! I tried several lots in my PS90 SBR. FTE, FTL, FTF every other round. Bullets pushed in and under pressure ammo. Its shit ammo!!  Made my Fiocchi and they slapped a AE label on the box.

View Quote

I'm guessing I've shot 1,000 rounds without issue and it's all I use now in my SBR with factory P90 barrel. I don't think I've ever had a single failure of any kind with this ammo or previously SS195.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

I'm guessing I've shot 1,000 rounds without issue and it's all I use now in my SBR with factory P90 barrel. I don't think I've ever had a single failure of any kind with this ammo or previously SS195.

View Quote

Weird i had issues with it and so have others anyways. The topic is about ss197 being Discontinued I think everyone’s getting a little bit of topic you’re talking about American eagle TMJ
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Weird i had issues with it and so have others anyways. The topic is about ss197 being Discontinued I think everyone’s getting a little bit of topic you’re talking about American eagle TMJ
View Quote

I've found it to be no less available than SS195.
There are no "good" deals on any 5.7 ammo right now.
I did see SS198 by the case for .75 per round recently, lasted a few hours at least 😆
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedSerenity] [#8]

I've found it to be no less available than SS195.
There are no "good" deals on any 5.7 ammo right now.
I did see SS198 by the case for .75 per round recently, lasted a few hours at least 😆
View Quote

the comment has nothing to do with the original question. Just because you cant ss195 in your area for a decent price doesnt mean there isnt any good deals. 39.99 for ss195 is not great but not that bad either. 9.99 price increase since covid isnt earth shattering. Granted i wish the price was 29.99 for 50 rounds of ss195 as back in 2019.

Now having said that the original question was why or if ss197 is discontinued.

SS198 is super expensive thankfully i have 1000 rounds of it. I also have 1000 rounds of ss195 as well. I pick up 2 boxes of 195’s each payday at 39.99 a box. Not earth shattering prices but way cheaper then online
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Only because you were too. Regardless, sorry dude. Unfortunately, I’m not aware of the production status of SS197.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

Only because you were too. Regardless, sorry dude. Unfortunately, I’m not aware of the production status of SS197.
View Quote

I am hoping its a rumor and not legit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I had Targetsports USA tell me personally that Federal/Vista Outdoors/ATK (whatever branch it is ) discontinued it. They had no hard answer why, other than maybe they can't get the Hornady bullets? But Why do they control what Fiocchi is contracted to make, unless Federal owns the contract, then sub contracted to Fiocchi? Sorry to all those that like FN, but they have absolutely 0 civilian customer support, especially involving anything 5.7. I'll try a couple more contacts at FN.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
I had Targetsports USA tell me personally that Federal/Vista Outdoors/ATK (whatever branch it is ) discontinued it. They had no hard answer why, other than maybe they can't get the Hornady bullets? But Why do they control what Fiocchi is contracted to make, unless Federal owns the contract, then sub contracted to Fiocchi? Sorry to all those that like FN, but they have absolutely 0 civilian customer support, especially involving anything 5.7. I'll try a couple more contacts at FN.
View Quote

Please keep us informed and ty.

My local shops selling SS197’s for 49.99 10 bucks more then 195’s. When I asked them about the reason for it they just said that’s how much they had to pay for the overhead for the ammo. 39.99 for 195’s isnt bad in todays market. I have about 1000 rounds of 197’s. i was going to hit the range using the 197’s, but now i am wondering if i should use my 195’s and keep the 197’s 🤷🏻‍♂️
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

I saw this today

https://www.opticsplanet.com/federal-ss197-sr-5-7x28mm-40gr-50rnds-ss197sr.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure about discontinuation but I do have some good news:

Fiocchi is now producing an ss197sr twin! It's called the
Fiocchi Hyperformance 5.7x28mm Ammo FN 40 Grain Polymer Tip
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

You mean they are going to rebox the ammo they are already making and call it Fiocchi instead of FN?
View Quote

Hopefully its a reboxing and they are not going to f this ammo up like AE TMJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]

You mean they are going to rebox the ammo they are already making and call it Fiocchi instead of FN?
View Quote
They are using their own vmax with a black tip and the velocity isn't any better than SS197SR and the 35gr NTX is SLOWER than the 40gr. Downgrade.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Basically yes; SS197 but with a black polymer tip instead of Blue.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Im really hoping the PSA ammo will be loaded hot
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:
View Quote
Indeed it will be. Safely warmer than these :D
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thats great to hear. AAC's ammo link is live, but the one spec they dont mention is the velocity.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-5-7x28mm-ammo-40-grain-v-max-50rd-box.html
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Thats great to hear. AAC's ammo link is live, but the one spec they dont mention is the velocity.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

Has anyone done a full function test in a PS90 SBR? I am curious about the coating vs crappy AE 40 grain that causes a FTE, and FTL every other round in my PS90 SBR
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I only had one feed issue with them in the P90 Today. About 40 rounds in somewhat quick succession fire with a can. Round jammed and popped the mag up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, reading this thread has clearly steered me away from owning anything that used 5.7, the problems and expense.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CommyGun:
Wow, reading this thread has clearly steered me away from owning anything that used 5.7, the problems and expense.
View Quote

Not exactly accurate. The firearms manual clearly states to use only FN brand ammo. I have zero issues with FN ammo
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#28]
That means you shouldn’t use FN SS197……ITS Fiocchi!!!
View Quote

I know 197 is technically not made by fn, but i almost never have a issue vs AE. Now if I can shoot 195's and 198's all the time I would be in heaven
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:29:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedSerenity] [#30]

FACTORY FN (Fiocchi) SS197

https://i.imgur.com/aoYYng8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2gWt13o.jpg

I had several other photos of bad, out of the box SS197, I just can’t find them.

@ArmedSerenity
View Quote

Wow i must of gotten lucky. I fired over 1000 rounds of 197 since I SRB'ed my PS90, and I think I probably only had 2 or 3 FTE or FTL (bent rounds from not loading properly). And i think it was from running the bolt dry or with little lube. I found if i lube the rods well the weapon runs flawlessly. AE wont cycle the weapon and i get FTE or FTL every other round. So i just quit using that ammo. 195s no issues ever (actually loaded by FN) 198s i am sure will run just fine. I wont use my 198s and i zeroed with 195s (pretty much the same POI) from what I been able to research
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I just ran 200 rounds of SS197 today no issues what so ever. The PS90 SBR has been running flawlessly. My gf loves shooting it. The only problem is the ammo is like .80 to .90 cents a round.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#32]

FACTORY FN (Fiocchi) SS197

https://i.imgur.com/aoYYng8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2gWt13o.jpg

I had several other photos of bad, out of the box SS197, I just can’t find them.

@ArmedSerenity
View Quote

4000 rds plus of ss197 through sbr ps90

zero malfunctions

guess I am superdooper lucky
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I feel like there's more options for 5.7 right now than there have been in a while.

I still see SS197 all over the place. Unfortunately not at the $35/500rd case that I paid once.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:
I feel like there's more options for 5.7 right now than there have been in a while.

I still see SS197 all over the place. Unfortunately not at the $35/500rd case that I paid once.
View Quote

I know, I remember getting mad because I had to pay $21 a box for ss192 instead of the $19 a box I was used to.  The good old days.... :(
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top