Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2019 4:08:39 PM EDT
I've got a 17S enroute and looking at the SR25 lowers. Any insight from users would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got a 17S enroute and looking at the SR25 lowers. Any insight from users would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
View Quote
First define if you want to use the SR-25 pattern mags (which I think you do from your description) or OEM FNH mags?

I believe there are four FIVE main players in the SCAR-17 aluminum lower arena:

SHOCK & AWE: ~$300 http://www.shocknawetactical.us/new-products/scar-lower

STRYKER Enterprises: ~$430 http://store-strykerenterprises-com.3dcartstores.com/SEAL-762_c_22.html

Hi-Desert Dog (HDD): ~$390 https://hi-desertdog.com/lower-receiver-group-c21.html

X-17 from X-Products: ~$350  https://www.xproducts.com/product/x-17-lower-receiver-light-weight-billet-trigger-module-fn-scar-17s-sr-25-m110-pattern/

Handl Defense: ~$250 - $1100  https://www.handldefense.com/shop/product-category/trigger-modules/

Now, me personally, I bought an X-Products X-17 and I like it.  HOWEVER, I wasn't too well educated on some of the DRAMA that the previous CEO and possibly OWNER has about recommending GUN CONTROL and his wife donating to anti-2d Amendment groups...  So Do a search and do your homework and decide if that is where you want your money to go!

I have had interactions with STRYKER and I like them as a company.

Hi-Desert Dog, I have ordered some accessories and parts from and dealings haven't been bad and haven't been awesome either.

Handl Defense, do a google search and read on FN Forum, there are some really unhappy customers out there.

Basically, gather your info, do your homework, perhaps even CALL and see what is in stock or how long you may be waiting to get an order filled.

I will say HANDS DOWN: Don't order another parts kit.  It costs another $250 to $500 depending on trigger and its EASY to swap over.  Its just too easy!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The SR25 mag lowers for the SCAR 17 made sense when the gun first came out and factory mags mags were hard to find and usually $70+.  Now that SCAR mags are readily available for $40 or less, you have to ask whether the price of these SR mag lowers are worth the cost.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SR25 mag lowers for the SCAR 17 made sense when the gun first came out and factory mags mags were hard to find and usually $70+.  Now that SCAR mags are readily available for $40 or less, you have to ask whether the price of these SR mag lowers are worth the cost.
View Quote
CON AGAINST CHANGING OUT THE LOWER:

Yeah, using a cost vs benefit analysis on CURRENT magazine prices $40 for FNH or $20 for a LR/SR PMAG it would take 20 mags to make that cost effective.

There are harmonics issues with the SCAR.

That is alot of blast and action into a lightweight platform.

The plastic hinge IS a weak point.  Its not known if putting on an aluminum lower hurts that even MORE or LESS.

Until there is better research, I would guess HURTS MORE as its the weakest parts that will fail.

Then there are rumors and reports that installing an aluminum lower will increase the stress on the upper receiver bolts by causing them to cant through the BCG action and not having absorptive materials to cushion, flex & disperse the energy.

Then is replacing the upper bolts with a higher grade another option ALSO!?

PRO CHANGING OUT THE LOWER:

Yet another factor is future availability of OEM lower fitting mags.

There are what?  FNH and maybe two other manufacturers of mags that fit the OEM lower?  There are FAL mags that CAN be modified.

Or, there are PLENTY of other choices of SR25 mags through the price ranges and some deals to be had during the big sales events (black friday, etc)

The choice was easy for me.  I already had some great (KAC & LaRue), excellent (Lancer) and PMAG magazines for the SR-25 as well as what my friends use, so it just made sense.

That is JUST factoring on mags.

New mags being released?  SCAR is a small niche market.  The AR 308 is the share holder of the popularity of the 308 magazine market and will grow.

How many 50 round magazines are there for the FNH? 0    For the SR-25? 2

And before it warrants a guffaw of "Who needs that?"  Freedom. America.  Product line support.  Thats why.

There are lots of aspects to consider than just magazines.  Probably more issues than I have addressed.

Some really good advice I have read is: 'Focus on tuning your gas jets to your ammo of choice that gets you the accuracy you want and the reliability you demand in your given climate and conditions.  Then re-look at the lower.'

Also known as: shoot the crap out of it before you go fixing a problem or issue that isn't really there.

Good luck.  

Will
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
BTDT. Had both my 17s with Handl lowers to use my pile of sr25 mags. Took the lightest, most reliable battle rifle out there and made it heavier, and they took a good "break in". Fitment was at best decent. Got tired of them, returned them both. Sold my sr25 mags and went back to the stock lower. Mags can be found for less than $35. $30 if you are patient and keep an eye on the EE. Couldnt be happier. For me, the sr25 mag lower experience was a waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Tango for all the feedback. I don't mind buying 17S mags at all so I'll invest in those.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Stay away from anything X-Products.

Its a gun accessory company selling a product to gun owners to fund gun control which creates a demand for their product...
If it wasnt so sickening I would have to admire the brilliance.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll say this. A SR25 pattern trigger module for the SCAR 17 makes sense in a few ways. I also think some historical context is appropriate.

Handl Defense was first to market by about 3 years. Handl Defense had a relationship with X products (co-branding). Handl Defense had early issues. They hired a CEO/ new engineers who got things sorted. X products and Handl parted ways when the Magpul 308 PMG gen 3 landed. Xproducts started making their own. Striker copied the Handle design after it was sorted. This caused a shitstorm that sucked the life out of the SCAR aftermarket for a good 3 years.

It is important to know this because there is still bad blood between many of the makers of these products and their supporters. (biased like crazy)

Do they work- Yes

Do you NEED one- NO

Should you have one- Yes (compatibility with your other SR25 pattern guns is nice since I have 4-5)

Do they cause negative effects - NO (the former Handl CEO does awesome write ups on the closed FB Scar owners group, the suppressor write up should be mandatory reading. The owner of striker also supports these claims on the lower)

Do they cause positive effects - Yes (see above)

Do they work with aftermarket triggers- Yes (before 2013 NO on G super SCARs)

Do they work with aftermarket grips- Yes

my 2 cents on each company

HDD- I don't know, I've never bought anything from them

Handl Defense- if its in stock its good to go. But the CEO leaving seems to have sucked the energy out of them.

Stirker- looks good. but never in stock

X-products- its good to go if in stock. I was in FB SOG when it all came out about him and his wife and the anti-2nd AMD thing. I'd really think about it. It was that bad
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
when I was in the market for a lower, only Handl and Stryker made them.
regarding all the hate on other forums, I put that aside and got the latter - Handl at that time had G trigger fitment issues. I ordered the S.E.A.L. w/ the G trig and upgrades before I could find the 17 - so I just waited on the rifle.

If you are in a hurry, then Stryker may take longer than you desire.
looks like they are in stock w/ "processing" time

Having said that, the S.E.A.L. is a thing of beauty, and love the SR25 compatibility - esp the Pmag 10 for the bench.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
when I was in the market for a lower, only Handl and Stryker made them.
regarding all the hate on other forums, I put that aside and got the latter - Handl at that time had G trigger fitment issues. I ordered the S.E.A.L. w/ the G trig and upgrades before I could find the 17 - so I just waited on the rifle.

If you are in a hurry, then Stryker may take longer than you desire.
looks like they are in stock w/ "processing" time

Having said that, the S.E.A.L. is a thing of beauty, and love the SR25 compatibility - esp the Pmag 10 for the bench.
View Quote
I've been waiting for my Stryker magpul lower to ship for over a month. I'd avoid them if I were you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The SR25 mag lowers for the SCAR 17 made sense when the gun first came out and factory mags mags were hard to find and usually $70+.  Now that SCAR mags are readily available for $40 or less, [color=#ff0000]you have to ask whether the price of these SR mag lowers are worth the cost.
View Quote
[/color]

For me the answer was and still is a resounding yes. I bought a Stryker lower that is designed to accept SR25 magazines. I originally wanted to be able to use the X Products 50rd SR25 drum magazines. But, they won't fit. I'm still OK with it because I can use 25rd Lancer AWM magazines. The Lancer magazines are better than MagPul magazines because they have a metal insert that contains steel feed lips, which is the Achilles heel of the Magpul plastic feed lips. I sold off half of my OEM FNH 20rd magazines and still have 10 left as well as the original FNH plastic lower, in the event I ever want to sell the SCAR 17 or I decide to switch back to the plastic lower (not likely, but, it's always nice to have options).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top