Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2021 8:12:37 PM EDT
I just found out the SOT I was using gave up his SOT, I just found out and will head over tomorow to find out what the deal is.

If the dealer gives up the SOT, what happens to the items currently on his books or what are his options?  

What are the chances I ever see my suppressors again?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
They’ll normally have to transfer to another SOT, via a Form 3, I believe.  You’ll get your suppressors.  I think someone on here may have mentioned that the ATF fast tracked outstanding Form 4 transfers for a dealer giving his up a week or two back.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You had form 4s pending to you from him? Usually they get expedited in that scenario.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You had form 4s pending to you from him? Usually they get expedited in that scenario.
View Quote

I have the Form 4s and was getting ready to submit them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for outcome. Normally from what I have seen is new form3 from dealer to dealer. Then your old form4 gets thrown in the trash and you have to start a new one all over.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you haven't submitted the form 4s yet I would ask him to form 3 them to another dealer ASAP.

ETA: did he already give up the SOT or is going to soon? I believe if he is no longer an active SOT he'll have to transfer out the NFA stuff on a form 4 not a form 3 and pay the $200.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If by some random chance in Kentucky I'll transfer them for you.
View Quote

I'm not, but thanks for the offer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If they're already in-state and registered to the dealer, it's still the same tax-paid F4 as it would have been. Nothing stops a non-SOT FFL or non-FFL from transferring a suppressor to you in-state on a tax-paid Form 4.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If they're already in-state and registered to the dealer, it's still the same tax-paid F4 as it would have been. Nothing stops a non-SOT FFL or non-FFL from transferring a suppressor to you in-state on a tax-paid Form 4.
View Quote

That's true, however my concern would be potentially not being able to track this guy down in 6-9 months if he's shutting down his operation and retiring or whatever. I suppose that's not really a concern if he's simply giving up the SOT and keeping his FFL though. Just something to think about, although if he did already give up the SOT you don't really have any other option than a form 4 anyway, even if it's to another dealer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's true, however my concern would be potentially not being able to track this guy down in 6-9 months if he's shutting down his operation and retiring or whatever. I suppose that's not really a concern if he's simply giving up the SOT and keeping his FFL though. Just something to think about, although if he did already give up the SOT you don't really have any other option than a form 4 anyway, even if it's to another dealer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not sure how he "gives up his SOT", since it's a tax that's paid from July 1st through June 30th, every year.  So if he had an SOT, it's valid until 6/30/2021.  He might not renew it past that point, which is more what it sounds like vs. "gave up his SOT."

If they are in process before the deadline (6/30/2021), then they should continue through as normal and you pick it up in 4 to 6 months.  If you are concerned he is doing a full shutdown, retiring, skipping town, etc. then yes, ask them to be F3'd to another dealer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just found out the SOT I was using gave up his SOT, I just found out and will head over tomorow to find out what the deal is.

If the dealer gives up the SOT, what happens to the items currently on his books or what are his options?  

What are the chances I ever see my suppressors again?
View Quote
It used to be that they couldn't do that. They had to maintain it until all NFA items cleared. My 1st can purchase was like this, and the original dealer did deliver it (Eventually, after the AUSA dropped the charges on him that had his inventory in the hands of the ATF)
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

not sure how he "gives up his SOT", since it's a tax that's paid from July 1st through June 30th, every year.  So if he had an SOT, it's valid until 6/30/2021.  He might not renew it past that point, which is more what it sounds like vs. "gave up his SOT."

If they are in process before the deadline (6/30/2021), then they should continue through as normal and you pick it up in 4 to 6 months.  If you are concerned he is doing a full shutdown, retiring, skipping town, etc. then yes, ask them to be F3'd to another dealer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have been clearer, I meant giving up his FFL/SOT entirely. ie going out of business
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I should have been clearer, I meant giving up his FFL/SOT entirely. ie going out of business
View Quote

If his FFL is held by anything other than a sole proprietor, AND the entity (LLC, corp, etc) will cease to exist, then the NFA branch will expedite remaining Form 4s, since the entity is going to be gone and the items will be in some contraband limbo if the Form 4 are not done and items handed to you.  In other situations, they will tell you to just wait for normal processing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all that responded.  

Got a chance to stop by and speak with the dealer.  I didn’t fully understand what was going on, but sounded like the ATF screwed up the renewal or something and the shop cant take anymore inbound transfers (that’s what started my concern when I tried having an item transferred in).  Current items already on their books can still be transferred to the individual on a Form 4.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Aren’t all title 2s, including suppressors, “keepers” unless post ‘86 samples?  So wouldn’t it just be a tax paid form 4 transfer to you whether he’s an FFL or not?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Aren’t all title 2s, including suppressors, “keepers” unless post ‘86 samples?  So wouldn’t it just be a tax paid form 4 transfer to you whether he’s an FFL or not?
View Quote

Only if it's a SP
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Only if it's a SP
View Quote

The entity (ie. LLC, S-Corp, etc) doesn't cease to exist just because it gave up its FFL/SOT. As long as the entity legally exists it can retain ownership of any keeper NFA items.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The entity (ie. LLC, S-Corp, etc) doesn't cease to exist just because it gave up its FFL/SOT. As long as the entity legally exists it can retain ownership of any keeper NFA items.
View Quote
This.

Yes, the entity (or SP) retains ownership/registration of whatever they already had at the time their FFL/SOT was relinquished (except post-86 MGs aka "post samples").

If they're giving up the FFL too, they close and turn in their last 20 years of bound book(s) to ATF's OBRC.

Those (former FFL/SOT) individuals or entities can also transfer tax-paid on F4 just like any private citizen can do (only exception being "pre-sample" MGs can only be transferred to a current holder of an FFL/SOT, or any government entity).

Remember... NFA transfers (and the correct form to use) depend on the status of the firearm, and the statuses (SOT/government/estate) of the transferor and transferee.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's true, my comment was assuming the legal entity was being terminated
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top