BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2020 11:19:47 AM EDT
Everything from hunting to fun time to HD

No AK.  Not legal for me. As well as most everything else that's cool
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have owned a Mini-14, not a Mini-Thirty. I have owned a couple SKS's, one a "Paratrooper" model which was surprisingly accurate. The one I got later had the 20" bbl and was not as accurate, go figure.
I would go with the SKS, preferably the Para model, over the Mini-Thirty for several reasons, first you never hear of a loosening gas block problem, I haven't heard of them having light primer strikes when using the cheap steel cased ammo. Because it has a fixed magazine, is much cheaper to feed than buying those expensive Ruger mags. Accuracy with either will be hit or miss depending on your luck in getting an accurate specimen. And the SKS is relatively battle-proven, not sure about the Mini-Thirty.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a SKS last year, I was surprised how soft shooting and how well I shot it. Loading with strippers is not hard.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Love the commie gun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I own the older Ruger Mini14 (Mid 80's maybe the Rancher model), Mini30 (Mid 90's model) both in stainless steel and an SKS (Norinco 20").

Rugers:
I like the way they feel, almost like a Trapper Lever action.
Stick with the Ruger OEM mags!  You may get lucky ($) if you shop around.
I bought some other brands back in my younger years and they were money wasted...!  They would jam all the time, the bullet would nose dive and get stuck at the bottom of the barrel (the barrels do not have feed ramps like an AR), especially on my Mini30.
The barrels are thin on both of mine, and the bullet pattern would start walking once the barrel warmed up.  I would see 5" groups at 100 yards...  Ruger has a Tactical model that has a ticker barrel forward of the gas block.
I have not had any issues with my gas blocks coming loose.

SKS
As other people have mentioned, they cost less, depending on what you get!  If you want a Russian, you are going to pay upwards of $1000-$1200 depending on condition (one sold on Gun Broker a couple months ago for this amount).
Chinese are less expensive but are drying up if not already.  Classic Firearms had some a couple months back for around $400.
The Yugo's are nice also.
Either way, leave these as is, do not Bubba it up..  Unless you are into that.  I Bubba'd mine up when I was younger and since have returned it to stock.
I do not recall having any issues with my SKS jamming up.
Does not feel as nice as my Rugers.

If you have a chance to handle both, I would!  I enjoy all three but if I were to only buy one, I'd go with the SKS.  ** EDIT **  After further thought, (went to the safe and played with both) I have to go with the Mini 30!

I hope this helps a little.

Later,
D
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
If prices were closer, I'd go for the Mini30. I've got a pair of 14's, and they're nice rifles. But, a Mini30 at $1000... hell no.

So I guess a $300+ SKS is better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
isnt there something weird about the bore or chamber on the mini 30?

Never cared for the sks. just a weird layout and chunky receiver. plus the Chinese are literally trash can grade. Look like they were machined with a rock. Only way I would own an SKS would be a russian one and for what they are going for LO fucking L.

ETA another option is a unconverted saiga or what about the new ban state shotgun style AR lower?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Having owned a SKS and a Mini-14, I would choose the Mini-30 every time, all day.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
SKS ftw.

An SKS will always work with steel case.

Ruger won’t reliably work with steel case.  Rugers own owners manual says:  BRASS CASE ONLY.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
isnt there something weird about the bore or chamber on the mini 30?

Never cared for the sks. just a weird layout and chunky receiver. plus the Chinese are literally trash can grade. Look like they were machined with a rock. Only way I would own an SKS would be a russian one and for what they are going for LO fucking L.

ETA another option is a unconverted saiga or what about the new ban state shotgun style AR lower?
View Quote

Kinda weird, but NOT dangerous:  the original bore diameter Ruger used was standard for a .308, but the 7.62x39mm uses bullets sized .311.

Too big?  NO!  

Not at all, and Col. Akley proved there is very little pressure increase from oversized bullets.  Ruger used a very long throat on the early 30s to gradually squeeze .311 down to .308.  And it worked fine (but not optimal for accuracy).  Colt did something similar with early AR15s in 762x39.

I believe at some point Ruger switched bore diameter to match that of SKS and AKs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive got both currently and would probably take the mini as long as the mags were proven to work. Nothing wrong with SKS though and I would not feel under gunned with either if both had irons.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Mini-30s are pickier with ammo.  Berdan primers are going to give you problems because theyre too hard.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]
This is one of those times when getting Both is really the answer.
Mini 30 for optic equipped hunting rifle, SKS because everyone should own one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I own a Mini-14; my only experience with an SKS is one that a friend bought years ago that had been bubba'd with the non-detachable 30-round mag.  Took an hour to load, and jammed like a mother.    

That said, my choice would be an SKS.  I want one, just don't think I will ever find one for the kind of money that I want to pay.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd say Mini 30 but it would have to be a newer one due to the old ones having an undersized bore.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:52:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Mini-30
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:22:11 AM EDT
[#19]
SKS for me
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Based on my experience with Mini-14s, Mini-Thirtys, and Chinese, Russian, Yugo, and "Cowboy" model SKSs, RDeAnda's comments above are spot-on.
A few additional comments:
-If you need optics, you'll be better served by a Mini-Thirty. You can improve the SKS's sighting by installing a Tec-Sight rear aperture, but it is definitely not sleek, and, like all the RDS/scope mounts (including the replacement receiver covers) is a bit of a kludge. The apertures that replace the SKS rear sight are unhelpful.
-Accuracy is about the same for both, on the order of 3-4 MOA. Kinda makes optics moot, IMO.  
-Loading with the chargers has a short learning curve, and is actually fast and convenient, as well as being significantly cheaper than buying Ruger magazines.
-Magazines other than factory are a really stupid and expensive idea for either rifle.
-The issue of sticking firing pins with the SKS and the resulting slam-firing of commercial soft-primered ammo is quite rare, but it does exist. A fairly cheap fix also exists. I just shoot commie ammo and don't worry about it.
-The Ruger is more "handy" than the full-size SKS, but the "Cowboy" short barrelled SKSs are the equal.
-Finally, the SKS is a military rifle. A communist military rifle, built for reliability and durability, not refinement. Lots of spare parts, cheap. The Ruger is a commercial rifle, and is going to be nicer, yet more temperamental and expensive. Note the easy comparison to female companionship.  
Get both. If only one, SKS. Besides, it has a bayonet, which is trumps for HD.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good deal on Ruger factory 30 round Mini-14 mags. CHEAP!

@psegnatelli

Disregard... they were Mini-14 mags, not Mini-30 mags.
View Quote

Thanks for thinking of me. But I'm stuck with 10rd mags here in the great state of CT

I'm really liking the Mini 30.  I doubt it'll wear optics. I'm pretty happy with peep sights.    BUT I've been wanting a CZ 527 since I saw one.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks for thinking of me. But I'm stuck with 10rd mags here in the great state of CT

I'm really liking the Mini 30.  I doubt it'll wear optics. I'm pretty happy with peep sights.    BUT I've been wanting a CZ 527 since I saw one.  

View Quote

Not putting down the CZ at all, but if you do get the Mini30, the Ruger American Rifle is available in 7.62X39 that takes the mini30 magazines.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not putting down the CZ at all, but if you do get the Mini30, the Ruger American Rifle is available in 7.62X39 that takes the mini30 magazines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been thinking of that but I really want iron sights.   I don't get to gunsmiths all thst much so I'd prefer to buy one already mounted.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I would go SKS, striper clips are very cheap, you can mount an rds to it and it might have a bayonet. That is if the bayonet is legal in your area. Steel case it what the SKS was designed around. All of mine have worked great.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Any rhyme or reason to which SKS rifles shoot better?

I had a Norinco SKS M that I sold 8-10 years ago. Shot ok. Generally had no issues hitting a clay pigeon sized target @ 100yds. Which is all I really need.  
I also had a Yugo. Shot really good but hated the launcher and the stock was made for a dwarf.

If I was going to go with an SKS. I'd prefer a shorter barrel and a longer stock.   I'd also have to block the mag to 5rd for hunting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a Mini-30 years ago, liked it a lot, put a cheap 3x9 on her and used it as a plinker, ended up swapping it off.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#28]
The thing with the Mini30. Is it comes pretty much close to what I want right out of the box.  
Synthetic stock, peep sights, 5 & 10rd mags.   I'd have to jocky in some side mounting sling & a light mount. But thats not all that hard.

I'd be using steel case for range only. Hunting & HD I'd probably use Fusion.  

Wonder if they make a clip guide that clamps in the scope mount of the mini?  Like on the M14/M1A.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The thing with the Mini30. Is it comes pretty much close to what I want right out of the box.  
Synthetic stock, peep sights, 5 & 10rd mags.   I'd have to jocky in some side mounting sling & a light mount. But thats not all that hard.

I'd be using steel case for range only. Hunting & HD I'd probably use Fusion.  

Wonder if they make a clip guide that clamps in the scope mount of the mini?  Like on the M14/M1A.
Look at this post for your Mini-30 info.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Official-Ruger-Long-Gun-Pic-Thread/52-460789/&page=3#i4997771

@psegnatelli

Thanks!  

I found a stripper clip guide!
https://cogburnarsenal.com/product/mini-30-clip-guide-582/
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#31]
The Mini has better sights, but thats about it
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Nice!
I'm a fan of the mini 14/30 but still can't understand why for a gun with well over a million guns produced, there are still no aftermarket Chrome lined barrels available for them?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I just went to my FFL earlier today to see my new Chinese Type 56 SKS. I got mine from Classic Firearms because I missed the first round of the Palmetto batch. $319.99 or  $367 shipped
It was very greasy and the wood looked almost black.
I can’t wait to bring it home and get it all cleaned up!
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Flyboy77:
Ruger makes a replacement hammer spring for commie ammo.

ETA Accuracy Systems, not Ruger springs.

Benefits of the Extra Power hammer spring.
Extra Power Hammer Spring Will -
Help eliminate the misfired rounds caused by hard primers.
Give the hammer more force which in turn will hit the firing pin harder.
Work's well for the Mini 14 also.

Hammer Spring shown compressed above and below with blue arrow.
Then a small Allen wrench is inserted into the hammer strut’s hole shown with red arrow above and below..
As the hammer is released the Allen wrench will hold the spring captive on the strut.
This will allow you to remove the spring & strut together.
Reverse the order to install the new spring.

" target="_blank">

Mini 14/30 Extra Power Hammer Spring
"A Must For Mini 30 Rifle and Steel cased Ammo"
Benefits of the Extra Power hammer spring.
Extra Power Hammer Spring Will -
Help eliminate the misfired rounds caused by hard primers.
Give the hammer more force which in turn will hit the firing pin harder.
Work's well for the Mini 14 also.

Hammer Spring shown compressed above and below with blue arrow.
Then a small Allen wrench is inserted into the hammer strut’s hole shown with red arrow above and below..
As the hammer is released the Allen wrench will hold the spring captive on the strut.
This will allow you to remove the spring & strut together.
Reverse the order to install the new spring.

View Quote

Thats good to know!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#37]
SKS is accurate as hell.  You can find aftermarket 20 and 30 rounds mag if legal.  I had both Mini 14 and 30 and accuracy sucked.   You can still find SKS's rifles in the $350 range a Mini will be twice that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a very early Mini 30, it was a 4"-5" shooter with surplus Romanian brass cased ammo, it was hit or miss with the steel cased wolf hard primered stuff. I installed a smaller gas port bushing & groups shrunk by about an inch.
 I picked up a like new recent 30 off the equipment exchange here last year, i haven't had a chance to ring it out yet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#40]
OP the correct answer is “both”

I have owned multiple examples of both. Sold the Mini-30, still have an SKS.

Mini-30 is not reliable with steel case ammo (even after tweaking - there are whole cult followings dedicated to that lost cause) and is not that accurate. I last owned a 580 series and it was only marginally better than my old one. They are easy to scope. Also you can get Ruger 20 rounders which are reliable. FWIW I own a Mini-14 still, fun to shoot and more reliable than the Mini-30.

SKS is just or more accurate, shoots every kind of cheap 7.62x39, and is boringly reliable. I have a Chicom SKS vest that carries 30 stripper clips - that is 300 rounds. Try that with a Mini-30.

The SKS is actually a military weapon, virtually indestructible. While the Mini-30 is a nice range gun made with cast parts. I would bet my life on the SKS.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#41]
My Chicom from Classic after clean up:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#42]
I’ve bought two Chinese SKSs, still have the last one, and a new .300bo Mini 14.

The SKS as is, is great. Accurate, reliable. Stick with the fixed 10 round mags. Tapco 20s are reliable but awkward to use. Can only be inserted & removed on an open bolt without shaving the bolt.

If you want to mount a scope and like 20 & 30 round mags, Mini is better. No experience with Mini 30 but I heard the new ones have more firing pin protrusion and run steel case just fine. And have .311 bore not .308. I’ve seen older .233 Minis with skinny barrels shoot poorly but every new 585 series I’ve seen runs fine.

Minis also have lots of aftermarket goodies including the new Samson reproduction folder stock and railed handguards for optics. And longer firing pins & stronger springs for 30s.

You’ll spend a lot more on a Mini but you can buy one new with great factory support if there’s issues. Pretty sure none of the Foreign factories that made SKSs will return your calls if you buy a bad SKS.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#43]
While I really like the SKS, I have a couple of issues with them.

1.  I don't like the way the safety lever is positioned and operates.  In order to fire the rifle the safety must be flipped backwards toward the trigger.  I just don't like a safety that operates like that being so close to the trigger.  The possibility of an negligent/unintentional discharge when wearing gloves, or in cold weather is greater than if the safety were engineered differently.

2.  Rifle can fire when chambering a round.  I have owned three different SKS rifles..all were factory original.  I had heard of rifles discharging when loading them, but had never had it happen....until it did.  I was shooting factory ammo out of a rifle that had operated properly for around 800 rounds or so.  My hand was no where near the trigger when the rifle discharged...my hand was releasing the bolt, so when the rifle went off, the only hand touching the rifle was my left hand on the fore-end of the rifle.  The safety was engaged.  Fortunately the rifle was pointed in a safe direction and the errant bullet struck the backstop berm, so no one was injured and no property was damaged. I tried to duplicate the problem with no success.   I fired another 300-400 rounds during various trips to the range after that problem and it never happened again.  

The rifle firing like that while chambering a round un-nerved me enough that I eventually sold the rifle, and haven't owned an SKS since.  

The rifle, bolt, and firing pin recesses in the bolt had all been cleaned after I bought the rifle to insure all grease and cosmoline like junk was removed.  My suspicion is that the floating firing pin had enough inertia to fire the round...it was a factory made steel cased round.

I like the SKS enough that I would consider owning another one if there was a way to put a spring around the firing pin so it would not be floating and would push the firing pin to the rear of the bolt.

For these reasons, I would choose the Ruger mini-30 unless the firing pin issue with the SKS was resolved.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Genin:
While I really like the SKS, I have a couple of issues with them.

1.  I don't like the way the safety lever is positioned and operates.  In order to fire the rifle the safety must be flipped backwards toward the trigger.  I just don't like a safety that operates like that being so close to the trigger.  The possibility of an negligent/unintentional discharge when wearing gloves, or in cold weather is greater than if the safety were engineered differently.

2.  Rifle can fire when chambering a round.  I have owned three different SKS rifles..all were factory original.  I had heard of rifles discharging when loading them, but had never had it happen....until it did.  I was shooting factory ammo out of a rifle that had operated properly for around 800 rounds or so.  My hand was no where near the trigger when the rifle discharged...my hand was releasing the bolt, so when the rifle went off, the only hand touching the rifle was my left hand on the fore-end of the rifle.  The safety was engaged.  Fortunately the rifle was pointed in a safe direction and the errant bullet struck the backstop berm, so no one was injured and no property was damaged. I tried to duplicate the problem with no success.   I fired another 300-400 rounds during various trips to the range after that problem and it never happened again.  

The rifle firing like that while chambering a round un-nerved me enough that I eventually sold the rifle, and haven't owned an SKS since.  

The rifle, bolt, and firing pin recesses in the bolt had all been cleaned after I bought the rifle to insure all grease and cosmoline like junk was removed.  My suspicion is that the floating firing pin had enough inertia to fire the round...it was a factory made steel cased round.

I like the SKS enough that I would consider owning another one if there was a way to put a spring around the firing pin so it would not be floating and would push the firing pin to the rear of the bolt.

For these reasons, I would choose the Ruger mini-30 unless the firing pin issue with the SKS was resolved.
View Quote

Here you go, then:
Firing pin fix
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Got a SKS last year, I was surprised how soft shooting and how well I shot it. Loading with strippers is not hard.
View Quote

They are great shooters & and surprisingly accurate.

SKS’s are vastly underrated!

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#46]
I did some quick reloads for my dad some 20+ years ago for his Mini30 using 168gr SMK over T680 and he could shoot a 2" group at 100yds with it. I imagine if I did a proper load work up it could be even better. He was around 80 yrs old at the time.

No trigger work or anything else was done to the Mini. It was a 180 model so maybe those were better than whats available now...don't know. That rifle ate steel cased ammo without an issue. One thing was the ammo was corrosive and would start to F up the barrel. Washed the barrel with soap and water then the usual cleaning and that took care of the problem.

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I own a few SKS rifles and have fired a few thousand rounds thru them with never a jam or FTF. As reliable as a crowbar!
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#48]

I put a spring in my mini 30 it didn’t help, it needed a firing pin.
The steel case primers are deeper in the case and the firing pin was not long enough (less than .030 protrusion) after changing the firing pin it eats steel case just like a sks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I've owned both. The SKS rifles have been sold but I can't bring myself to let go of the Mini 30.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top