Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2022 3:20:54 PM EDT
I have an idea and I'm curious if anyone has some info that could help me out.  I'm thinking about installing a thread-in QD sling swivel pocket into the flat spot on the bottom of a US made 556 folding stock (see pic below).  It'd involve drilling a 9/16" hole about 1/2" deep, at the center of the flat part on the bottom of the stock.  I'd use some epoxy to set the threaded piece in there (and could use more epoxy to fill any problematic voids encountered).  Alternatively, I might install it on the vertical side of the stock, on the back side as shown in the photo.

I have another idea for a QD sling attachment for the front end, if this works out I'll definitely post pics of the final product.

First though, my question:  Has anyone broken or cut open their stock to see what it looks like in there?  I'd hate to drill a hole there and find metal reinforcement or something that holds the whole stock together right there...

Here's where I'm thinking:

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you want to carry your weapon upside down?

Why not use a Velcro loop QD sling clip on the rear end of the stock?

I think mine has an HK loop on the rear of the receiver. Not home at the moment.
Link
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
That flat is for the safety when folded.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Does your stock have a maker's mark in it?  Usually, it's an "11" on the inside of the rear (when you fold it open).  That'll tell you if it's a Swiss stock.  The Swiss made ones have a metal frame inside from my understanding (not that I've ever had the gumption to cut into one).  If it's the US made one, I've heard that those do not have a metal frame inside.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't do that.
View Quote
Strongly agree.

There are lots of sling options for a SIG 55x.  Under no circumstances would I drill into the stock.  If you absolutely MUST have a QD cup on it, this is probably the least problematic method:  Magpul ACS QD plug.  You can use a washer on backside of the existing hole in the stock.

(not my pics)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

More discussion here:  https://www.sigarms556.com/threads/sling-idea.15254/
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does your stock have a maker's mark in it?  Usually, it's an "11" on the inside of the rear (when you fold it open).  That'll tell you if it's a Swiss stock.  The Swiss made ones have a metal frame inside from my understanding (not that I've ever had the gumption to cut into one).  If it's the US made one, I've heard that those do not have a metal frame inside.
View Quote

It’s not a Swiss stock. You can tell by the fact the back angled edge of the hinge area is smooth. On a Swiss stock it has horizontal grooves.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Don’t do it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
There are far better options other than QD sockets.  Everyone get locked into QD socket, but when you end up buying an adapter, the QD, etc. it just adds up to extra weight and noise.  I'm sure I'm on the unpopular side of this, but QDs are a $ gimmick in the sense that you have to severely buy into the system if you don't already have things set up on your gun or rail.

I've been using the Blue Force Gear sling attachments and they love Euro guns that don't come with QDs.  A little bit of paracord and you're in business.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

If you really want to run a QD, you can loop it through a QD.  Makes your sling attachable to just about any system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top