Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2018 5:45:17 PM EDT
Since LWRC sued SIG over copying their M516 bolt carrier does anyone know if I can drop an LWRC BC into my M516 SIG and expect it to work without a problem?
Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if they match up or not.  Someone has the Sig 516 BCG's for $129 today.  I'm thinking CDNN, but I'm not sure that's right.

ETA: Looks like it's $139, I was off by $10.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-516-gen2-complete-bolt-carrier-group.html#.W_xrpsuWx7g
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link but the reason that I'm looking for a replacment bolt carrier is because the upper that I got from SIG has a semi BC in it (when I specifically ordered a FA BC) and after 4 attempts to get it straightened out it doesn't look like I'm going to get a replacement one from them.
The MULE
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Still waiting for SIG to come across with a FA BC for me.  My dealer forwarded the pix that I sent comparing a FA BC with the SA BC and they are reviewing them.  WTF?  Either it is or it isn't!  There's a half inch more steel on the FA BC!  I even put a ruler in the pix, what do they need... a picture in Braille?!

If I don't have my proper bolt carrier by SHOT Show I'll have to go talk to them in person.

I mean really, WTF?
The MULE
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI, I have successfully run the LWRC carrier in my 516 upper for over 500 rounds (originally bought it to work with my ECHO trigger which also works well in this setup).  If Sig doesn't come through for you the LWRC will work.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent information!  Can you tell me if your upper is a Gen 1 or Gen2?
Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent information!  Can you tell me if your upper is a Gen 1 or Gen2?
Thanks!
The MULE
View Quote
Gen 2 with the rounded ear style gas plug and no bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent!  
Have you noticed any peening on the face of the piston or BC striking lug?
Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#8]
It saw an Adam's arms piston run fine in a 516
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It saw an Adam's arms piston run fine in a 516
View Quote
------------------------------------------

News to me, more excellent information!
Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Optics Planet has them on sale as well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Excellent!  
Have you noticed any peening on the face of the piston or BC striking lug?
Thanks!
The MULE
View Quote
Sorry for the delay, I'm on a Christmas cruise and just got internet to work on a work issue.  No deformations with shooting this in both semi and binary modes rapidly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
No problem, thanks for the answer!
The MULE
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#13]
My buddy decided he liked the cool looking skeleton Adam's Arms carrier better so he swapped them out. Then he later sold the other rifle. Now his 516 is bastardized. Runs fine. But still.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My buddy decided he liked the cool looking skeleton Adam's Arms carrier better so he swapped them out. Then he later sold the other rifle. Now his 516 is bastardized. Runs fine. But still.
View Quote
--------------------------------------------------
That's too bad.  As a buyer that would make a difference to me.
YMMV
The MULE
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Not to be a PITA but did all of those swap-outs involve the BC only or the whole BCG?
I'm thinking about problems with headspace, locking lug geometry, cam pin stress and things like that.
Thanks!
The MULE
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#16]
No worries at all, I get it.

I replaced the carrier only, it uses a standard bolt, firing pin, cam pin, and cotter/retaining pin.  I took the parts out of the OEM carrier and dropped it into the bolt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No worries at all, I get it.

I replaced the carrier only, it uses a standard bolt, firing pin, cam pin, and cotter/retaining pin.  I took the parts out of the OEM carrier and dropped it into the bolt.
View Quote
-----------------------------------

Excellent info, I am going to go this route since SIG has not responded to any of my e-mail requests for help through their customer (dis)service.
When I go to SHOT later this month I'm going to go to their booth and give them an ear full!
Thanks again!
The MULE
BTW, in case you didn't know, your e-mail and IM features are "Off".
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#18]

BTW, in case you didn't know, your e-mail and IM features are "Off".
View Quote
Your email got through fine.  I had issues with the IM/DM feature.  Apparently Chrome automatically found a feed that lets IMs appear when you're not actively on the forum.  I got alerts when I was working and nipped that in the bud.  Emails are fine as I can choose when to read/deal with them; I'd rather not have a DM popup like that when I'm giving a presentation to an auditorium of people.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd rather not have a DM popup like that when I'm giving a presentation to an auditorium of people.
View Quote
----------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, I can see where that could be awkward..
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#20]
So, just a little update... I talked to SIG at the SHOT Show and they agreed to send me the correct bolt carrier if I sent in my upper for a "repair".

Then the next week when I sent for the return authorization label they said that although I bought the upper from my dealer as a law enforcement individual, they only sold full auto to departments, not individuals.  They then offered me a full refund on the upper, but no bolt carrier.

I am currently debating that while I price out some LWRC parts.

I'm at the point that I may just return the SIG, never to buy SIG again, and go with the full LWRC upper.

YMMV
The MULE
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Sig can kiss my ass anymore. I worked at an elite dealer in purchasing. my personal 516  blew up cracked the upper receiver and I had two pieces of gun in my hand. I personally spoke to Ron Cohen and the head of their design team about it and was guaranteed they would send me a replacement upper. Over the course of a year I reminded them continuously of it and never received so much as a single replacement part for it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sig can kiss my ass anymore. I worked at an elite dealer in purchasing. my personal 516  blew up cracked the upper receiver and I had two pieces of gun in my hand. I personally spoke to Ron Cohen and the head of their design team about it and was guaranteed they would send me a replacement upper. Over the course of a year I reminded them continuously of it and never received so much as a single replacement part for it.
View Quote
------------------------------------------------------------------

That sucks, what was the cause of the detonation?
The MULE
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

------------------------------------------------------------------

That sucks, what was the cause of the detonation?
The MULE
View Quote
Unknown. Ammo was federal xm193 bulk. If had approximately 3k through it. No bulge in barrel. Hell I might have the parts around here still. Let me look and if I do I’ll post pics.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a full auto 516 10.5 and I have the LWRC bolt carrier. It works perfectly. 1000 rounds shot.  They are pricey though. I paid 200$ for just the BC.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a full auto 516 10.5 and I have the LWRC bolt carrier. It works perfectly. 1000 rounds shot.  They are pricey though. I paid 200$ for just the BC.
View Quote
-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, and yes, they are pricey!
The MULE
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I believe in giving credit where credit is due so I have to say that SIG "manned up" and worked with my dealer, Ivan at New Frontier Armory in Las Vegas who went above and beyond on my behalf , to come up with an equitable deal on my behalf.

So I picked up a LWRC bolt carrier and put it in the SIG 516 upper where it functioned fine in both semi and full auto modes.  The person at SIG knew what my intentions were and made no cautionary squeals of limited liability or voiding warranties so your information of this being a "good swap" of parts appears valid.

I appreciate the help of all participants in this thread, you gave me good information.

If anything changes I'll post info.

Thanks again!
The MULE
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Keep an eye on gunbroker, I picked up a new 516 carrier for $36.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Shark arms has colt piston bcg’s for 35$. I emailed Chris and asked if they would work on a 516. He said he would have to check, but never got back to me. Anyone know if they would be compatible?

Love mine
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Shark arms has colt piston bcg’s for 35$. I emailed Chris and asked if they would work on a 516. He said he would have to check, but never got back to me. Anyone know if they would be compatible?

Love mine
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/480879/0CC945A0-8B7F-434D-9DEF-43896B6237F9-732992.jpg
View Quote
----------------------------------------------

Nice!

Sorry that I can't answer your question.

The MULE
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top