Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2018 3:42:50 PM EDT
I found what appears to be a 37 dated SCW Mosin in a pawn shop. He wants $300. Nothing but the gun and no accessories. I don't have one but there are a few others higher on my list.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I found what appears to be a 37 dated SCW Mosin in a pawn shop. He wants $300. Nothing but the gun and no accessories. I don't have one but there are a few others higher on my list.
View Quote
That's not a bad price for a SCW Mosin considering what Soviet Refurb'd Mosins are selling for currently. Does it have wire sling hangers? Does it have any of the SCW specific markings on it like the "Made in the USSR" or URRS stamp on the receiver or the MP8 property stamp on the stock? I'd very likely snap it up at that price.  I've only encountered 3 SCW Mosin's in the wild, two M91/30's and a M91 and I bought all three.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
That is the same price as standard refurbed rifles have been going for, I would jump on a SCW Mosin at that price as long as it hasn't been messed with.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up one just six months ago that is in the correct serial number range/year with the correct swivels for $200 and I was thinking it was worth a bit more than I paid but was leery of a fake... I was lucky and it was confirmed as a real one... bore is actually shiny with little wear and shoots fine... around 2 to 3 inches at 100 yds with '70's soviet ammo...
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's not a bad price for a SCW Mosin considering what Soviet Refurb'd Mosins are selling for currently. Does it have wire sling hangers? Does it have any of the SCW specific markings on it like the "Made in the USSR" or URRS stamp on the receiver or the MP8 property stamp on the stock? I'd very likely snap it up at that price.  I've only encountered 3 SCW Mosin's in the wild, two M91/30's and a M91 and I bought all three.
View Quote
It has the wire hangers. no import marks, no made in URRS or USSR what looks like a light mp-8 mark.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It has the wire hangers. no import marks, no made in URRS or USSR what looks like a light mp-8 mark.
View Quote
The MP8 stamp pretty much confirms its a SCW veteran, especially if its non refurbished and non import marked. The 1937 date is also a big indicator since the Soviets sent several large shipments  of brand new 91/30's straight  to Spain that year. I'd have zero problem paying 300$ for it, its likely worth a bit more than that anyways.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure how prices have been there, if it was here it would be worth the risk.
Run of the mill referb 91/30s have been running 275-325 here, so if nothing else you got a 91/30 at going rate.

*Side Note*
The talk of wire sling swivels made me go double check out an odd 91/30 I picked up at an auction because it was cheap.
Sure looks like it was a SCW 91/30. None of the obvious marks, but it is a non referbed, non imported, 1936 Tula with wire sling swivels and is in the confirmed serial range.
Guess I can check that off the list
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I went and gave it a hard look and did not pull the trigger. Someone has polished the bolt to almost chrome. Stock has been sanded and refinished. Buttplate was swapped out and no longer follows the wood by a good bit in the toe area. It is non matching almost looks like a collection of parts.  It appears to have had a lot of wear on the stock so the guy refinished it and replaced the buttplate. It does have a decent bore and pretty good blue remaining.  I would guess the receiver and stock go together and the rest have been swapped.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe pictures are in order.  You realize most Mosin's have been through a factory/arsenal refurbishment at least a few times.  An all matching gun is a rarity.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok... I'll ask, what does "SCW" mean?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Spanish Civil War
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe pictures are in order.  You realize most Mosin's have been through a factory/arsenal refurbishment at least a few times.  An all matching gun is a rarity.
View Quote
I realize that. The high polished bolt that looked like chrome and clearly refinished stock that was sanded to the point of no longer lining up with the buttplate kind of sealed the deal for me to wait for a nicer one. He had another bubba cut down 91 there as well as 2 91/30's .
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The spanish arsenals did sand the stocks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I realize that. The high polished bolt that looked like chrome and clearly refinished stock that was sanded to the point of no longer lining up with the buttplate kind of sealed the deal for me to wait for a nicer one. He had another bubba cut down 91 there as well as 2 91/30's .
The spanish arsenals did sand the stocks.
From A List of Spanish Civil War Rifle Features:

"Within the field of Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagants there are several features that help to show a rifle’s provenance towards this conflict and region. These features include:

The rifle’s date range [1937 and prior dates only]
The “Made in USSR/URRS” stamp
Lack of modern import stamps
“MP8” Flaming Bomb cartouche
Wire sling swivels
Spanish made stock and/or hand guard
A heavily sanded stock
Blade front site on a rifle that otherwise wouldn’t have one
Various types of Spanish cleaning rods

In order to provide a definitive link for your rifle to the Spanish Civil War, there should be several of these features on the rifle being examined. However, there are a few features listed that will prove the link without having any others present.
"

Sounds like this might be a diamond in the rough.  If you are going to pass, do you mind passing along where its for sale?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also these are not absolute on scw. It took me about two years of research to realize that the markings on my 1918 Remington were scw. Its most likely path was sold as surplus through DCM, then to spain with the Lincoln brigade, then reimported some time in the 50s.
View Quote
You've obviously done a lot of work to figure out the lineage on your 1918 Remington.  I own both a Remington Mosin (can't recall the year) and a New England Westinghouse.  Can you point me to a link where I can find markings that can help with my research?   Many thanks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You've obviously done a lot of work to figure out the lineage on your 1918 Remington.  I own both a Remington Mosin (can't recall the year) and a New England Westinghouse.  Can you point me to a link where I can find markings that can help with my research?   Many thanks.
View Quote
Here is a link to one of the better write ups on U.S. made Mosin's, it covers their manufacture, use and the various ways they were re-imported back into the U.S.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/US-Mosin-Nagants.asp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top