Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2017 6:22:17 PM EDT
Hello, I recently got a 16S and looking to change out the PWS muzzle device.

Should I remove the barrel assembly from the upper receiver to do this?
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's like the 17s setup all you do is use 2 opposing wrenches to loosen and remove brake.  One wrench on the nut and the other on the brake.  No need to remove barrel or clamp down.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
no nut
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no nut
View Quote
You'll need a barrel clamp or make your own out of wood and clamp it with a vise to remove and install.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Should I take the barrel out of the receiver for the clamp?

I have the Tangodown block incoming but just want to make sure I don't screw anything up lol.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Should I take the barrel out of the receiver for the clamp?

I have the Tangodown block incoming but just want to make sure I don't screw anything up lol.
View Quote
I'd wait for the receiver blocks personally. You'll be able to get the proper torque on the muzzle device reinstall without worrying about it.

Congrats on the SCAR!

ETA: Yes, you remove the barrel completely for the barrel vice blocks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd wait for the receiver blocks personally. You'll be able to get the proper torque on the muzzle device reinstall without worrying about it.

Congrats on the SCAR!

ETA: Yes, you remove the barrel completely for the barrel vice blocks.
View Quote
Sweet, thanks - ended up ordering a 62 in/lb seekonk tq handle based off the answer.

It's a rifle I've been wanting for a while. so stoked!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]
You don't need anything special to take it off.  Hold the rifle between your legs and spin it off with a wrench.  It's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
put two wrenches on the device far enough apart so you can grip it with your hand.
squeeze.
easy.

edit: didnt catch the "no nut" part
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the blocks and set the barrel vertical in my vise.

The PWS muzzle device came off very easily and timing the close-tine warcomp and torquing it down was very easy.

Would definitely recommend 10/10 getting the TD blocks for not only proper installation but the ease of install.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got the blocks and set the barrel vertical in my vise.

The PWS muzzle device came off very easily and timing the close-tine warcomp and torquing it down was very easy.

Would definitely recommend 10/10 getting the TD blocks for not only proper installation but the ease of install.
View Quote
Good to hear.

It does suck that barrel removals require a re-zero, but muzzle-device work with the vice blocks is a breeze. I know it sucks to wait to do seemingly simple tasks, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top