Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2018 2:19:34 PM EDT
Just completed paperwork on a new SCAR 17S in FDE. I'm already looking at replacing the poly lower. I know, totally unnecessary but I like "metal guns" plus the alloy lower is closer in anno color than the poly lower. The SCAR is a very cool rifle, but in FDE its pretty ugly from the 5-6 colors on it and no two FDE's are even close.

So, is swapping everything over to a new lower any harder than a AR-15 lower build? Any special tools required? Tips or tricks? I'm sure there is a YouTube video out there but figure this is a better source of info.

TIA
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I was looking into swapping out the lower on mine too and I've seen videos on YouTube of the entire process being done.
It didn't seem especially complicated or anything if you have any experience with that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Not as easy as an AR, still not difficult.

I did a X-Products lower.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, thanks! From the outside it certainly looks AR-like. I was looking at the one from Stryker Enterprise.
http://store-strykerenterprises-com.3dcartstores.com/SCAR-Enhanced-Alloy-Lower-FN-Magazine-FDE_p_106.html
Seems legit, they offer all sorts of preinstalled options so that makes me think that either its a tough job or people like to keep the factory lower with all its bits and just have another complete lower.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Slightly more complicated than an AR, but still not difficult.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I put one Stryker lower together. I'm pretty good with tools and my hands, took me roughly 30 minutes. Definitely more difficult than an AR but totally doable if you're a hands on person. Oh, that 30 minutes, give or take, included me stripping my OEM lower for the parts to reinstall into the new one.

As an aside, the fit and finish on the Stryker is PERFECT but I'll warn anyone about the potential wait if it's not in stock when you order it. If you want an alloy receiver it's really a great product.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
A little off topic...

Dealing with Stryker enterprises was about the worst customer service experience I have ever been through...
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A little off topic...

Dealing with Stryker enterprises was about the worst customer service experience I have ever been through...
View Quote
Yuuuup... had a Stryker SEAL lower on order.  After being a couple months past what they said was the ETA, I cancelled and went with the X Products.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
On the scale of difficulty I would give it a 3-4 out of 10.  Where 10 is building/fitting an entire 1911 from base oversized parts and 1 is a Glock disassembly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yuuuup... had a Stryker SEAL lower on order.  After being a couple months past what they said was the ETA, I cancelled and went with the X Products.
View Quote
And just a follow up: How are you liking the X Products X-17 lower ?

I did the cost difference between buying FN -17 mags and an X-17 lower and using the PMAGS, KAC & LaRue mags I already have and its making sense!  As long as I re-use my lower parts though.

~Will
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not as easy as an AR, still not difficult.

I did a X-Products lower.
View Quote
I did an X-products X-17 lower as well.  The lower was VERY tight going onto the SCAR upper.

I would say the lower parts removal and install on the X-17 was EASIER than an AR-15 or AR-10 LPK install.

Why?  Screws and protected roll pins that can be easily pushed out on the SCAR versus roll pins under tension that have to be DRIVEN out for the AR.

I did the disassembly & reassembly three times just to get the feel for it, and it was super easy.

About the only REAL gripe with the SCAR is that I do not like removing or installing that little C-clip on the bolt catch / release support part.  Having a strong magnet in the magwell can help capturing that clip if it tries to kinetically escape.

I would like to see a MAG RELEASE button (extended) that uses a screw similar as the safety selector retaining screws to secure it instead of a roll pin.  Maybe I could tap that myself?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Scar is stupid easy to rebuild the lower. Its about the same as building an AR lower on the difficulty scale. However I would NOT recommend switching to an aftermarket lower. The stock poly lower is stronger/lighter than all the aftermarket ones. There has been a whole bunch of design and engineering work that went into that lower that you dont see with the aftermarket ones. I havent come across a single aftermarket lower that will stand up to what a stock one does and almost all of them seem to have inferior QC without even touching the design and material issues many have. I understand those wanting to have mag compatibility with existing platforms, but for the time being at least the only way to do that is aftermarket with said trade offs. If that's what you need and can accept the trade offs I understand it, but changing for aesthetics? Youre better off having the lower painted.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the “plastic” lower but it brings to mind a question. Why do Ar poly lowers have such a bad rap if it’s ok in the scar?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the “plastic” lower but it brings to mind a question. Why do Ar poly lowers have such a bad rap if it’s ok in the scar?
View Quote
The SCAR lower was engineered from the ground up to be made of polymer
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the "plastic" lower but it brings to mind a question. Why do Ar poly lowers have such a bad rap if it's ok in the scar?
exactly. For example, you aren't screwing the buffer tube/stock into the Scar lower.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
exactly. For example, you aren't screwing the buffer tube/stock into the Scar lower.
View Quote
Ahhh good point
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top