Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2018 3:02:18 PM EDT
I am planning on ordering some smaller gas jet screws for my 17, since I have begun shooting it suppressed.  I'm sure most of you realize this, but I just noticed when cleaning the other day, that the two gas ports on the plug are identical.  I had assumed that the SCAR was similar to other rifles I've had where the plug has a smaller port for the suppressed setting.  What the suppressed setting does is vent the pair of smaller holes in the top of the plug, reducing port pressure that way.  I was wondering if, in addition to, or instead of, messing with the gas jet insert, the system could be tuned for suppressed use by enlarging those vent holes?  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am planning on ordering some smaller gas jet screws for my 17, since I have begun shooting it suppressed.  I'm sure most of you realize this, but I just noticed when cleaning the other day, that the two gas ports on the plug are identical.  I had assumed that the SCAR was similar to other rifles I've had where the plug has a smaller port for the suppressed setting.  What the suppressed setting does is vent the pair of smaller holes in the top of the plug, reducing port pressure that way.  I was wondering if, in addition to, or instead of, messing with the gas jet insert, the system could be tuned for suppressed use by enlarging those vent holes?  Any thoughts?
View Quote
I would leave the reduction ports alone and just utilize the gas jet screws. If you want to conduct testing out of extra free time then order a spare regulator to test on. You are more and likely though going to have to utilize a different gas jet screw in conjunction with your reduction port resizing to find a sweet spot. In which case why have bothered with opening the reduction ports. You have to account that the performance of the gas jet screws is dependent upon the size of the reduction ports and that total performance is dependent upon your particular suppressor and ammunition.

TL/DR: Do not mess with the gas regulator ports. Buy the 1.30 -1.40 screws and see what your gun likes. Most find their sweet spot utilizing the 1.30 or 1.35, I myself utilize 1.40.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would leave the reduction ports alone and just utilize the gas jet screws. If you want to conduct testing out of extra free time then order a spare regulator to test on. You are more and likely though going to have to utilize a different gas jet screw in conjunction with your reduction port resizing to find a sweet spot. In which case why have bothered with opening the reduction ports. You have to account that the performance of the gas jet screws is dependent upon the size of the reduction ports and that total performance is dependent upon your particular suppressor and ammunition.

TL/DR: Do not mess with the gas regulator ports. Buy the 1.30 -1.40 screws and see what your gun likes. Most find their sweet spot utilizing the 1.30 or 1.35, I myself utilize 1.40.
View Quote
I think you are probably right.  I intend to find the optimal gas jet screws for unsuppressed function first.  Then I might buy an extra gas plug to mess with the bleed-off ports if I think that suppressed function could be further improved.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The sizes in the regulator are the same size but when rotated it vents gas out instead of into the piston.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top