Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2019 3:45:01 PM EDT
Picked up a SCAR 20s... and am black friday shopping for some optics. I have experience with NF, Leupold, and Vortex higher end models... as well as Trijicon Accupowers... but for this rifle amd looking at the Steiner MX7I 4x28... a Schmidt Bender PMII ultra short 5x20... NF ATACR 5x25...

I would also consider Vortex Razor II HD or Leupold MK5 hd... but am really wanting to stretch out to other brands and give them a shot.  I also prefer the MSR2 Steiner and Schmidt Bender offer.

I have no experience behind the Steiner or SB... glass clarity is a big deal for me at these price ranges.

Thoughts from the hive? Any other suggestions? With my eyes and the type of shooting I do, I tend to like the bigger mag scopes.. 4-27 range or thereabouts.. although would not turn down a quality piece in lower power if the clarity was stellar.

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s hard to beat the NF ATACR 4-16 and 5-25. I had a s&b 4-16x50 pmII. A friend has/had s&b 5-25s, s&b 5-20US, s&b 3-27, hensoldt 4-16, and hensoldt 3.5-26. Another friend has the NF ATACR 4-16 on his SCAR20S - a great combo that we have shot out to 930 yds. And I had a NF ATACR 5-25 on a demo rifle that was on loan. Having used all of the above, while I absolutely love euro optics, the NF ATACR line is hard to beat. Glass and features are excellent. My only gripe is the digilum and I wish they had euro diopter adjustment.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen a ton of really great glass. NF ATACR would be my choice.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The Razor G2 4.5-27x does well on the 7.62 SCARs. Fits in with the '50 Shades Of FDE (brown)' theme too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Razor G2 4.5-27x does well on the 7.62 SCARs. Fits in with the '50 Shades Of FDE (brown)' theme too.
View Quote
It is a nice optic but a real pig.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. Makes an excellent club if all else fails.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
True... I have one as well, and its got some heft
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all... Looks like I need to check out the ATACR!
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with a 5-25 ATACR for mine.

Not something I’d want to hump for miles but it’s not extremely heavy. Now the SF suppressor hanging on the end makes the whole rifle like 4ft long.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I went with a 5-25 ATACR for mine.

Not something I’d want to hump for miles but it’s not extremely heavy. Now the SF suppressor hanging on the end makes the whole rifle like 4ft long.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/102803/E435CCE4-0579-4F9C-977E-498166183B11_jpeg-1177152.JPG
View Quote
What mount did you go with there?
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s a LaRue OBR 34mm.

Honestly I’ve had it sitting in my spare parts box forever so finally found a use for it LOL
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want some cant built into your mount and want to run the SCAR cocking handle on the left side, your best option is a Spuhr. LaRue mounts for magnified optics are known to have issues on the SCAR and this is the reason they were ditched when the mk20 SSR was in development. Geissele and NF magmount are good options if you are ok running the cocking handle on the right. Or you can buy a 0 moa NF magmount and flip it around to put the bolts on the right.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you want some cant built into your mount and want to run the SCAR cocking handle on the left side, your best option is a Spuhr. LaRue mounts for magnified optics are known to have issues on the SCAR and this is the reason they were ditched when the mk20 SSR was in development. Geissele and NF magmount are good options if you are ok running the cocking handle on the right. Or you can buy a 0 moa NF magmount and flip it around to put the bolts on the right.
View Quote
I really like the IWC Charging handle for clearance
for scope mounts on SCARs.

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/scar-charger/

Steel. Has enough of a cant that clearing the scope mount isn't an issue, but lower profile than some of the other options. Clears the Bobro and Spuhr QD 34mm mounts.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Picked up a SCAR 20s... and am black friday shopping for some optics. I have experience with NF, Leupold, and Vortex higher end models... as well as Trijicon Accupowers... but for this rifle amd looking at the Steiner MX7I 4x28... a Schmidt Bender PMII ultra short 5x20... NF ATACR 5x25...

I would also consider Vortex Razor II HD or Leupold MK5 hd... but am really wanting to stretch out to other brands and give them a shot.  I also prefer the MSR2 Steiner and Schmidt Bender offer.

I have no experience behind the Steiner or SB... glass clarity is a big deal for me at these price ranges.

Thoughts from the hive? Any other suggestions? With my eyes and the type of shooting I do, I tend to like the bigger mag scopes.. 4-27 range or thereabouts.. although would not turn down a quality piece in lower power if the clarity was stellar.

Thanks for your input!
View Quote
At the price point that you are look, the optical clarity is all going to be pretty good but how good is going to be subjective to the shooters eye.  With that being said, I am not sure that optical clarity would make my top 3 things i would look for when picking out a new scope.  I would look a scope that has a good recticle that works for my uses, that tracks reliably, and has a good eyebox and exit pupil, and FOV.

In regards to the Steiner and SB, look at the specs and see what one appeals to you more
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

At the price point that you are look, the optical clarity is all going to be pretty good but how good is going to be subjective to the shooters eye.  With that being said, I am not sure that optical clarity would make my top 3 things i would look for when picking out a new scope.  I would look a scope that has a good recticle that works for my uses, that tracks reliably, and has a good eyebox and exit pupil, and FOV.

In regards to the Steiner and SB, look at the specs and see what one appeals to you more
View Quote
Thanks for the input. Most of the scopes I am looking at either have the Tremor 3 or the MSR2, so reticle choices are not an issue. I've never gotten behind a Steiner or SB, so for me, since specs are similar, quality of build and glass would be deciding factors.. even across the board into the NF line up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top