Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2018 4:31:35 PM EDT
To all users of the SCAR 17S who have swapped out the stock brake for a non-brake/compensator substitute, how does that change the rifle? Is it a totally different animal without that big nasty PWS brake? I see a lot of mil rifles had the MITER flash hider mount.

Trying to figure out how much of the rifle's intrinsic performance comes from that piece.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s a light .308. It has some recoil. The brake mitigates some of it at an expense I wasn’t willing to accept. I mounted a 51T FH and never looked back.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s a light .308. It has some recoil. The brake mitigates some of it at an expense I wasn’t willing to accept. I mounted a 51T FH and never looked back.
View Quote
I did the same thing. For me the stock brake was just too loud, even with muffs on. The FH was much more quiet, but it wants to jump around a little bit more and recoil just has a little bit more push (not kick). For me it was an acceptable trade off.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
FH looks cooler

Attachment Attached File

All seriousness that brake was frickin loud and my range neighbors walked away from the table whenever I shot my Scar.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#5]
don't like brakes, started to get tinnitis. removing them helps - alot. Hate to get caught w/out earpro if I need to shoot

use this w/ OEM jam nut
BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator MOD 1 - 7.62 and a smaller gas jet

love this system
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the Thunderbeast flash hider on my 16" and the Thunderbeast brake on my 20". Without the PWS brake I have a bit more recoil on my 16", the 20" is no worse. Running them with the suppressor mitigates the brake completely. Still far less recoil than my Finnlight in 308. Love these guns.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Very helpful replies...thank you. I've only shot the 17S at an indoor range where everything is ridiculously loud, so it's hard to gauge.

And yes, the AAC MITER flash hider looks a lot better, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I still have my brake on it keeps people from shooting around me on the rifle range...  I can tell you this if I am on the firing line even in a prone station anyone on the left or right stations next to me give me dirty looks when I start popping off rounds.  I have had people pack up their shit and move over 3-4 stations.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I run a surefire hider.   I don't see much difference between the pws and surefire flash hider in anything but the pws is one hell of a miserable brake.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
AAC 18T MITER masterrace
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AAC 18T MITER masterrace
View Quote
It sure looks cool, but is that the only reason?

And am I correct in thinking that the only can that can fit on it is the unicorn AAC SCAR-H SD can (long and short)?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And am I correct in thinking that the only can that can fit on it is the unicorn AAC SCAR-H SD can (long and short)?
View Quote
Being a flash hider is the main thing, less noise is next.  Unicorn can yes but for me in my State it don't matter as I can't have a can.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:28:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
You won’t find the can that’s for sure.

The 18T is a very good flash hider. 13” barrel with nods on and it performed better than I expected.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You won’t find the can that’s for sure.

The 18T is a very good flash hider. 13” barrel with nods on and it performed better than I expected.
View Quote
Gotcha. I guess I was wondering more why the MITER vs just the standard, shorter 18T mount.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody running deadair  brake or flash hiders? I am wanting to suppress my 17 and i already have the sandman s but am deciding between deadair brake with the shoulder ring or the deadair flashhider designed for the scar.  Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I had the Dead Air brakes on my 17's, swapped them out for the DA SCAR flash hiders. The flash hiders may be slightly slower on follow up shots, but I dont run mine in comps so I didn't mind the barely noticeable difference. Its a nice plus they index off the muzzle, so no shoulder ring needed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I run the Surefire Warcomp.  It's the best thing out there in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top