Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2018 2:26:41 PM EDT
I’m in Austin,TX. I want to have my barrel cut down to SBR my SCAR 17. Who can cut the barrel for me that is either close by me or I can ship the barrel but I don’t want to wait months to get it back. Thank you for any input.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I’m in Austin,TX. I want to have my barrel cut down to SBR my SCAR 17. Who can cut the barrel for me that is either close by me or I can ship the barrel but I don’t want to wait months to get it back. Thank you for any input.
View Quote
Give Mogan w/ Class 3 Machining (Local- Dallas) a shout via post in the EE Thread he has.

There is also Parker Mountain but I think that is who you are referring to due to wait?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:45:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I went with PMM for my 2 16s mo issues at all.  Sent the barrels in before form 1 came in, just had a buddy hold on to them while forms came back. Plan on sending my 17 soon, both times were just short of 2 months. Used capitol armory in atx to do all my paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 5:12:58 AM EDT
[#3]
PMM
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Give Mogan w/ Class 3 Machining (Local- Dallas) a shout via post in the EE Thread he has.

There is also Parker Mountain but I think that is who you are referring to due to wait?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, while not a SCAR I did send him another rifle and his work was top notch. Work turn around was about 2 or so weeks at the time. Not sure now, but you could contact him here in his E&E thread under gunsmithing and ask.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Ask John of http://www.retroarmsworks.com and see if he can do it.  He did a retro barrel chop for me in 2 days.  He is really good and turn around time is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yep, while not a SCAR I did send him another rifle and his work was top notch. Work turn around was about 2 or so weeks at the time. Not sure now, but you could contact him here in his E&E thread under gunsmithing and ask.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent work for me too. Great communications the entire time. Quoted 2 weeks turnaround and had return shipping notification 2days ahead of schedule.  Deal with this guy with 100% confidence.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Pmm did mine, and a good job as well but wait time was a week shy of 2 months mailbox to mailbox.

contact capital armory, they can recommend someone
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
PMM does great work and will get your gas port up with the correct size but he takes awhile. Mine took roughly 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:40:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got on to post this question after seeing how much the 10" barrel costs on Brownells. WTF!!

So... does the gas system need to be changed/modified for the shorter barrel?

Can you send it in to get cut after you get your stamp?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just got on to post this question after seeing how much the 10" barrel costs on Brownells. WTF!!

View Quote
Know Jarod from PMM changed gas jet when he chopped my barrel.  Almost 2 months turnaround for the chop.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Know Jarod from PMM changed gas jet when he chopped my barrel.  Almost 2 months turnaround for the chop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What purpose would changing the gas jet have? The SCAR 17 is adjustable no? I ask as a question. I’m not super familiar with the SCAR. Class 3 machining did mine. Got it back yesterday. Took a couple weeks. I have not put it back in the gun yet.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Ask about the possibility of the chrome lining of the barrel chipping.  If you get a chip out of the chrome inside the barrel, it will have the same effect as having a nick in the crown of the barrel.  Some shops can't deal with it, others can.  I don't know how shops that guarantee no chrome chipping do the work differently.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What purpose would changing the gas jet have? The SCAR 17 is adjustable no? I ask as a question. I’m not super familiar with the SCAR. Class 3 machining did mine. Got it back yesterday. Took a couple weeks. I have not put it back in the gun yet.
View Quote
It's adjustable yes, but not in the way you're thinking it is. It only has two adjustments: normal, and suppressed. When you shorten the barrel it's best to put a new jet in to properly tune the system.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ask about the possibility of the chrome lining of the barrel chipping.  If you get a chip out of the chrome inside the barrel, it will have the same effect as having a nick in the crown of the barrel.  Some shops can't deal with it, others can.  I don't know how shops that guarantee no chrome chipping do the work differently.
View Quote
I've wondered if chrome lining could get jacked up from cutting. Good to know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#15]
That home page video of Class 3 Machining is jaw dropping, bad-ass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think this issue is based more on the quality of the chrome-lining process versus the cut but I have never read on or seen a damaged chrome-lined barrrel from cutting. I have had ADCO and Class 3 Machine cut on cold hammer-forged and chrome-lined barrels with no issues visually or performance wise. Both were on FN barrels whom from my understanding have the process down.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I've cut chrome lined barrels without causing flakes. After some research, I used a carbide tool, and cut from the inside out (for the final cut). This reduces the risk of peeling the chrome layer off the bore wall.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top