Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2020 11:51:22 AM EDT
I recently purchased a SCAR 17, which will be arriving next week.  Cannot wait. I've been trying to decide what optic I want for it, and I think I've decided on a Razor.  I'm a fan of Vortex products, and the warranty is a wonderful thing, considering what I've "heard" about SCARs.

However, I'm kind of torn between the Gen II and new Gen III, mostly due to cost I guess.  The rifle stung enough

I can get the Gen II 1-6x24 SFP MRAD for $1280 shipped right now from Optics Planet which also includes a $75 gift card (could be used towards a mount).  If the gift card is factored, $1200 out the door.

OR, I could wait for the Gen III 1-10x24 FFP MRAD to release, for $1,900.  I'd really like the extra magnification, and FFP, but is it worth an extra $700?  Gen III also includes throw lever, L-TEC tool, and sunshade.

I don't intend to use the rifle for any specific purpose.  Just want something with all-around versatility.

https://vortexoptics.com/razor-hd-gen-2-e-1-6x24-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=25

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razor-hd-gen-iii-1-10x24-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=18079

OP deal (coupon code WORK7 5% off):
https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-razor-gen-ii-hd-e-1-6x24-riflescope.html

Edit:  This video has me thinking I need to suck it up and get the Gen III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtIfEuX_b9g
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't intend to use the rifle for any specific purpose.  Just want something with all-around versatility.
View Quote
Because of this statement- Why not a Elcan 1.5-6? I have a razor 1-6 on my scar 16 and I wish I had an Elcan 1-4. My Scar 17 wears a Elcan 1.5-6 and i couldn’t be happier.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d think either would work fine. Either way, Vortex would take care of you if anything ever broke. This is less about the 17, and more about which optic you want. You’d get more traction on that in the optics forum, where there’s already a couple threads on the new Razor. If you don’t want/need the FFP or extra mag of the 1-10, I don’t see the point in paying for it. Conversely, if you want the FFP and extra mag, I don’t see the point in buying a cheaper (but still pricy) 1-6 and not getting the optic you actually want.

There’s not a right answer here. Both are fine choices. Only you know what you want from your optic.

FWIW my 17 has an 11/RMR. To me the 17 is a battle rifle through and through, and while it can work as a DMR, there are other rifles I like more in that role. Were I to get a 1-10 Razor, it’d be to go on a large frame DMR type rifle like an MWS (Mine currently has a 1-8 Accupower) or APC. My 1-6 Razor is on a 14.5” 5.56 KAC.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait for the gen 3, or wait for the gen 3 to release then scoop a gen 2 for super cheap on the EE.
Either way, I think it's worth it to wait.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Just get the Gen 2 on the cheap, everyone selling them for the Gen 3.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait for the gen 3, or wait for the gen 3 to release then scoop a gen 2 for super cheap on the EE.
Either way, I think it's worth it to wait.
View Quote
Probably good advice. I’m glad I got my Gen 2 and don’t plan on swapping out, but if I were buying now I’d be waiting for these reasons either way. You’re going to be seeing a lot of Gen 2’s show up on the used market from looking to go up. To me they’re different optics that do different things (in theory, I’ve never had a 3), but for a lot they’re a product-improved Gen 2.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I think you’d be pretty happy with a Razor 1-6. I have an TA11-E ACOG on my SCAR and also own a Razor 1-6 gen II E, and if I didn’t have the ACOG I would definitely put the razor on the SCAR.

Just kind of depends if 10x as opposed to 6x is worth the money to you... can’t really make a bad choice though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all.  I think I'm mostly decided on the Gen III at this point, mostly due to the longer range capability of the 17.  The extra bit of magnification will help.

I've already spent a stupid amount of money, so it would probably be silly to not get exactly what I want.  I haven't completely ruled out the 1-6 Gen II but we'll see what the next couple of months bring.

Again, thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Razor 1x6 Gen II (purchased a few years before the E cane out ) in a Geissele mount on my 17S and am very happy with it.  My son is happy with it, too
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for elcan. SBR scar is best scar.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another vote for elcan. SBR scar is best scar.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20200423_094047_jpg-1382234.JPG
View Quote

I agree!

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Elcan
(I have a MKIV Leupold in a ADM Delta mount and Atlas bipod if I want more distance)

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The Razor Gen III is currently $1699 at Liberty Optics
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#13]
The Razor II and the Elcan are both pretty heavy but fantastic optics. I’m pretty Wright adverse unless it somehow balances out just right.

I went the TA11 route and couldn’t be happier. If you intend it as a range queen the weight is a moot point, any of the 3 will take the 17S recoil impulse just fine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top