Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2022 10:22:46 PM EDT
First official question post here, so mods please move if necessary.
Im using an A.R.M.S # 72 scope mount on my SCAR 17,

I picked this mount because it was around $200 like other quality mounts (geissele, ADM) that are typically recommended for the SCAR 17 but it has a harmonic recoil reduction spring running through the center of it which is a feature I havent seen on any other mount, as well as it being rated for 300wm, 50cal, up to 40mm anti-material rifles.

My problem is the Vortex 4-16 ffp i want to use didnt clear the base of the mount at first so I loosened the screws underneath holding the rings on, tightened them around the scope, and then re-tightened the bolts in the base. It seemed to work, but the rings didnt seat all the way into the mount. I assumed that this is the way this mount is supposed to work as I cant see any other reason for it to be designed this way, otherwise youd think that the rings would be all one piece with the mount right?
Does anybody hear have any feedback or experience with A.R.M.S mounts? I shot about 60 rounds through the rifle and the setup seemed to work. I took the mount off and put it back on and it held zero, but i did notice that after about 50 rounds one of the bolts on the bottom had become about 1/8th of a turn loose which worried me a little bit, but I guess that could be attributed to the mount needing to settle in place, or the scope and mount just being outright incompatible with one another, which I hope is not the case.

Please help
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Not familiar with that mount,( looks interesting tho)
I would need to see the set up to answer your exact question.
Personally when the vortex dies ( and it will ) have it rebuilt and put it on something else.  Then buy a scar hardened optic that will fit your mount and your use.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally when the vortex dies ( and it will ) have it rebuilt and put it on something else.  Then buy a scar hardened optic that will fit your mount and your use.
View Quote

How do you know it's going to die?  A guy I know has a SCAR 17 with a Viper PST on it and he has shot several thousand rounds through the gun with that scope with no issues.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m glad for him.
For the record I love Vortex.
 However my experience wouldn’t give me complete confidence on any SCAR, certainly I wouldn’t want to bet my life on that optic ( on a SCAR).

When mine died on a 17s I sent it into vortex for repair and spoke with the lead tech  doing the work (as they do the repairs in the United States) essentially he explained to me that as Vortex has a lifetime warranty when they rebuild them they rebuild them to never see them again, using top quality glues/ parts etc.
I  then commented on what rifle this would be going back on and he essentially said there’s not much that can be done to make there scope scar 17 proof.
So I transitioned to a NF for the 17.
At that time I asked if the same optic would be G2G on a 16s he said “ it should be”.  
Shortly after the 16S ate that optic.
I then replaced to a ACOG ECOS which has been G2G

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m glad for him.
For the record I love Vortex.
 However my experience wouldn’t give me complete confidence on any SCAR, certainly I wouldn’t want to bet my life on that optic ( on a SCAR).

When mine died on a 17s I sent it into vortex for repair and spoke with the lead tech  doing the work (as they do the repairs in the United States) essentially he explained to me that as Vortex has a lifetime warranty when they rebuild them they rebuild them to never see them again, using top quality glues/ parts etc.
I  then commented on what rifle this would be going back on and he essentially said there’s not much that can be done to make there scope scar 17 proof.
So I transitioned to a NF for the 17.
At that time I asked if the same optic would be G2G on a 16s he said “ it should be”.  
Shortly after the 16S ate that optic.
I then replaced to a ACOG ECOS which has been G2G
View Quote

Yeah his has lasted forever on that thing.  Was yours a Gen 1 or Gen 2?  He has a Gen 2 on his, FWIW.

When I had my SCAR 17 it was either wearing a TA11 ACOG or Credo 1-8.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Gen 1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top