Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2022 4:55:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tactical_dude]
Just picked up a used SCAR 16CQC and while getting it cleaned up found this in the magwell. Anyone else seen this on the SCAR?

It feels like gouge marks but seems to be spidering???

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Either a molding issue or gouge from assembly of the lower.

I would call FN and see what they say.

My two SCARs lack any marks inside but they are black, not FDE.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with themao, I would call FN.  I've had a few FDE 17S and never had anything that looked like that in the magwell.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll touch base with them and see if they will replace the lower.

Anyone got a line on a FDE 3 position lower in case they don't want to replace it?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Belgian or US made?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a cosmetic issue from the molding process to me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jeepsnguns81:
Belgian or US made?
View Quote

Belgium
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeepsnguns81] [#7]
Originally Posted By tactical_dude:

Belgium
View Quote

If memory serves the trigger module (lower receiver) on the complete Belgian guns comes with some sort of block that has to be ground off after import.  What you may be seeing is the end result of that.  The trigger modules used to be relatively cheap directly from Browning parts department, but my info is several years old.

ETA:  maybe not cheap anymore.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F145110040
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tactical_dude] [#9]
Originally Posted By Jeepsnguns81:

If memory serves the trigger module (lower receiver) on the complete Belgian guns comes with some sort of block that has to be ground off after import.  What you may be seeing is the end result of that.  The trigger modules used to be relatively cheap directly from Browning parts department, but my info is several years old.

ETA:  maybe not cheap anymore.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F145110040
View Quote

Thanks for the info but not gonna a be the culpret. That would be on the opposite side of the magwell where that pin would have been located...

Also this is a factory FN 3 position lower so nothing modified upon import.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks for the info but not gonna a be the culpret. That would be on the opposite side of the magwell where that pin would have been located...

Also this is a factory FN 3 position lower so nothing modified upon import.
View Quote

Interesting.  Let us know what you find out from FN.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#11]
A cold shut occurs when the molten material has begun to solidify before fully filling the mould. When the molten metal begins solidifying before the mould has been completely filled, it can form a seam that hasn't merged correctly. This can result in weak spots in the casting.

If the cold shut is in a low stress location it is probably fine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:55:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#12]
I suspect that is not a low stress location, due to the mag catch, and I'd ask FN to replace the lower.

I think anything pulling down on the mag (or maybe over-insertion of a mag) will apply stress that could potentially cause that area to crack.

Also you've got the autosear/pin/spring on the left putting stress there every time the bolt closes. That could potentially start a crack on the left side.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:16:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tactical_dude] [#13]
I made contact with our FN rep. They will send it up the FN ladder Monday and will get back with me. Will let everyone know how they handle this. This will be my first encounter with FN CS.

I advised our rep sending in the entire rifle was not an option as it's not worth getting lost or stolen in the mail. I have requested a one for one lower swap.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Is your Auto position straight up, or straight back like an M16?

They've made both, but one might be discontinued now. Just be aware of that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Is your Auto position straight up, or straight back like an M16?

They've made both, but one might be discontinued now. Just be aware of that.
View Quote

It's straight up.

I don't mind which they replace it with as along as they replace it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 7:01:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tactical_dude] [#16]
Couple more pics.

11/30 update: FN should be sending me a replacement. Will update when I have it in hand.

I'm a really big FN fan so I hope they do the right thing and swap this out quickly.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Any updates
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tactical_dude] [#18]
Originally Posted By awd_xtc:
Any updates
View Quote

FN has admitted this is a factory defect when the polymer lower was made. Something about the mold cooling to fast. They said they have never seen this before...

The regional LE sales manager I've been speaking to told me they do not keep any of these select fire parts on hand in the US. Not sure why they would not want to have these on hand for warranty issues.

He says the select fire lowers are only made in Belgium and would have to see if they can import one to replace mine. Have not heard back if this is something they are going to be able to do.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok forgive my ignorance but the upper is the registered part right, can the parts not be swapped to a regular fn lower?
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By awd_xtc:
Ok forgive my ignorance but the upper is the registered part right, can the parts not be swapped to a regular fn lower?
View Quote

You are correct the lower is not the serialized part and is identical to the S lower with the exception of the A being stamped in the 12 oclock position.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 2:52:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#21]
You are correct the lower is not the serialized part and is identical to the S lower with the exception of the A being stamped in the 12 oclock position.
View Quote

Actually, the semi lower removed from a rifle will have the top surface sanded at FN in order to fit a semi receiver. This probably won't fit a machine-gun receiver correctly. I suspect it will fit, albeit with a gap and maybe loose.

A replacement semi lower (not removed from a rifle) will likely be 'as molded' and NOT sanded to fit a semi receiver and, other than the markings, AFAIK is identical to a machine-gun lower.

The following pics are for the milling I did to replace the grips, but look at the top edge of the assembled 'take off' lower in the pics and compare that edge to the stripped 'replacement' lower to see the height difference. IIRC, it's 1.5mm, but my memory is awful... https://imgur.com/a/jVkj2bk

ETA: more pics of just the replacement lower... https://imgur.com/a/O4iKG4z
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Just to give an update.

FN was able to find a complete trigger module and was able to swap it out with the defective one.

Appreciate FN searching high and low to find it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Just to give an update.

FN was able to find a complete trigger module and was able to swap it out with the defective one.

Appreciate FN searching high and low to find it.
View Quote

Glad they took care of you, OP!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top