Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2022 10:06:48 AM EDT
Still thinking out how I want to set up my TAC14 to submit my form 1.  I have one of the old Remington police top folders (steel).  Would the measurement be folded or extended if i went that route as opposed to a field stock?

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Fully open.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Extended/Open

CFR 479.11 states "The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore."
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.  That stock is kinda punishing with heavy loads but would make for a handy little bugger folded down
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By splogan:
Thank you.  That stock is kinda punishing with heavy loads but would make for a handy little bugger folded down
View Quote

it does make it handy. I have an SBS 870 and have done PG, field, youth, folder, etc with it. Pretty much the top folder is the ideal set up for easy carry but still shoot as intended. Not fun, but that's kind of the point
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an 870 cut to 12.5 and Police top folder.  I love it - except not for 3"mags

low recoil buckshot is fine and normal loads for a few mags worth of shooting..

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 5:18:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The Remington "FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY" top folding stocks are okay for shooting, unless you shoot it with your cheek against the thin edge of the steel stock arm, aka a traditional "cheek weld".

Shooting an 870 equipped with a top folder will likely bruise, and possibly cut open your cheek, as it gets pinched between the stock arm and your cheekbone. The heavier-recoiling ammo of course magnifies this issue.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The Choate top folder doesn't look as nice, but it is comfortable to shoot with. It is also cheaper. It locks up tight and you can still use a shell holder on the receiver.

I have a Remington factory side folder that is extremely comfortable, but doesn't look as good. Its plastic, but built pretty strongly. It has the old Tapco saw clone grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top