Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2023 10:49:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: upjeeper]
once my Form1 goes through on my SBR with an 11.5 inch barrel and an overall length of 26 inches, i'm free to go ahead and put a collapsible stock on it (which then changes the over all length from 25.75 or so to closer to 30 inces), right?

i don't follow why they state a SBR is barrel less than 16 AND overall length less than 26, the overall length part seems to be unnecessary if the barrel length is the concern
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#1]
First, yes you'll be fine.

Second, you misunderstand the definition of an SBR.  It's a rifle with a barrel less than 16" OR an overall length under 26".  

The "or" rather than "and" means only one of the two conditions needs to be met to consider it an SBR.  The overall purpose of including SBRs in the NFA was to tamp down "concealable" rifles people could carry around on their person, so having them be very short was the issue in the law.

You can in fact have a rifle where the barrel is 16" or longer, but it's still an SBR because the OAL is under 26".  Some bullpup designs could accomplish this.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:You can in fact have a rifle where the barrel is 16" or longer, but it's still an SBR because the OAL is under 26".  Some bullpup designs could accomplish this.
View Quote

For example: Swapping a thin buttplate on to a 16" Tavor.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:
First, yes you'll be fine.

Second, you misunderstand the definition of an SBR.  It's a rifle with a barrel less than 16" OR an overall length under 26".  

The "or" rather than "and" means only one of the two conditions needs to be met to consider it an SBR.  The overall purpose of including SBRs in the NFA was to tamp down "concealable" rifles people could carry around on their person, so having them be very short was the issue in the law.

You can in fact have a rifle where the barrel is 16" or longer, but it's still an SBR because the OAL is under 26".  Some bullpup designs could accomplish this.
View Quote

thank you, I was going by this verbiage in an article
"a barrel under 16 inches and an overall length less than 26 inches, it now qualifies as an SBR."
sounds like it was a poorly written article
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top