Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2019 11:58:28 AM EDT
I recently converted an MP5K pistol into an SBR.  Every once in a while, however, I thought it might be fun to shoot it with no stock but keep the forward grip on - essentially making it an AOW.
Any issues in doing this?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
No, SBR registration covers it. Legally, at that point it would be a SBR without a buttstock.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Got it.

THX for the clarification.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No...because you are not essentially making it an AOW. You have a “weapon made from a rifle”, which by definition is still an SBR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recently converted an MP5K pistol into an SBR.  Every once in a while, however, I thought it might be fun to shoot it with no stock but keep the forward grip on - essentially making it an AOW.
Any issues in doing this?

No...because you are not essentially making it an AOW. You have a “weapon made from a rifle”, which by definition is still an SBR.
If so, that would create a bit of a problem for those that contend an SBR that was "first a pistol" can be returned to Title I pistol status merely by reconfiguring it as such. If reconfiguring a "pistol first" SBR into an AOW makes it a "weapon made from a rifle," it would seem the same would hold true when reconfiguring the same weapon into a pistol. Conversely, if those who argue a "pistol first" SBR can return to being a pistol are correct, I can't see how configuring the same weapon into an AOW wouldn't make it exactly that.

I think both views have strong arguments in their favor, and I'm not sure what the correct answer is. On the one hand, the argument that filing a Form 1 nullifies all previous history of a firearm does make sense; on the other, it seems a bit ridiculous to imagine if one SBR'ed something like a Glock 19, that it couldn't return to being a pistol by reconfiguring it as such. I don't see how both can be true. If it's the latter, that would argue that indeed an AOW would be created in such a situation (rather than just an SBR minus a stock).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top