Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2021 3:33:48 PM EDT
Considering the cost of the stamp and everthing else is it really worth the cost, time, and effort to SBR a newer model Thompson?
Is it a difficult conversion?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Thompson barrels aren't the easiest to remove/replace due to their thread pattern, and the design of the grip mount bar .....to do it right requires specialized tools.

Once the new bbl is installed, you'll need a very good drill press, or mill to drill your front sight, or compensator/sight, for the cross pin.

My advice is once your F1 comes back, send it to Bob Bowers at Philadelphia Ordnance, or Dan Block to swap it out ......
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the deal with the Thompson pistols? Maybe I was reading it wrong but it seemed that you couldn't get the form 1 and just slap on the stock. It wouldn't accept it. Is that wrong?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the deal with the Thompson pistols? Maybe I was reading it wrong but it seemed that you couldn't get the form 1 and just slap on the stock. It wouldn't accept it. Is that wrong?
View Quote
The 27A5 pistol lowers won't accept either an M1 or 1928 style butt stock without machine work, and adaptors.

Its actually easier to adapt an M1 or 1928 Grip frame to a '27 than it is to modify the original semi "lower"
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't Auto Ordnance selling SBR's at some point? I swear I saw them
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Auto Ordinance M1 Thompson which I bought because that's what my father carried in the pacific.  

I keep thinking getting a short barrel and SBR it just to get it closer to that configuration.  

I'm definitely tagging this thread, doing it myself is beyond my skill level.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am almost positive it was at least "offered" by them...  whether they made any and/or sold them I don't know.

Seems Thompson FA prices were stalled, at least last time I looked 18 months ago.  I'd say swing for the fences instead.

If you think its something you will keep forever and have an heir who will want it, go for an SBR if you really want...   Otherwise, I say just buy a pistol version and just pull the trigger real fast from the hip.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am almost positive it was at least "offered" by them...  whether they made any and/or sold them I don't know.

Seems Thompson FA prices were stalled, at least last time I looked 18 months ago.  I'd say swing for the fences instead.

If you think its something you will keep forever and have an heir who will want it, go for an SBR if you really want...   Otherwise, I say just buy a pistol version and just pull the trigger real fast from the hip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did.  I’ve seen a handful in person over time, but not many.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#9]
In my experience the AO version isn’t worth buying a stamp for.  Spend your money on a real gun of some other kind.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 Thompson sbr’s at my house. The first began life as a 16” M1 model. I registered it then installed a GI spec short barrel. I did that about 10 years ago and still regularly shoot it. A few years ago I decided to try another route. I bought one of the pistol versions of the gun. I liked the idea because it already had the short barrel and the receiver was made out of aluminum. The grip frame required a good bit of material to be machined off the rear tang to be able to mount a buttstock. I had to drill and tap holes for the screws. I’ll send detailed pics of what I did if anyone is interested. Send me a message. I don’t know how to post pics on here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I got the factory sbr in 2008, Taiwanese drums work perfect in it, wasn't a cheap date even back then
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Buying one of the rifles and having the barrel swapped is cheaper than buying the factory SBR.  Add in the time of a form 1 vs. form 4 and it's a no brainer. I had mine done by Dan Block in Iowa and had him do the quick change barrel mod.  With the mod the barrel is snugged, instead of the original full retard tight, and a set screw is added to the underside of the receiver to lock the barrel in place.  I did this to have the option of going from a traditional look to a threaded barrel for use with a can or to return it to 16" if I ever wanted to sell it.Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top